Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

brown spots on nana plant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    my nana plants beginning to have brown spots on their leaves which looks more like algae than rot after 2 weeks. My tank is a newly done 2 feet tank with no CO2 with a few drops of fertiliser in the first week and I am using a 20w light with a fan. My other plants like difformis and becopa are fine and growing well. I have added some corydoras, would that help them to clear the spots?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Corydoras will not eat spot algae put in some oto instead. Or try to shift the nana to somewhere that got shade, too much light for nanas tends to get more algae. Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Stop doing the water changes unless you need to (uprooting of plants and etc) if you do the non-CO2 method. Read up the sticky on the non-CO2 method written by Tom Barr.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I heard otos are very delicate and die easily under harsh conditions. Is this true? Are there other alternatives?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wipe them off, and work on getting your plants to grow. Brown algae should be the last on the list of algae to worry about.

Otos are delicate on introduction, but after they've acclimatised to your tank they're really hardy. The specimens in LFSes are always very fragile, and care should be taken to transport them from the shop to your tank and through the acclimatisation process. Read more about what I've said here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    As said you don't need algae eating critters to get a nice tank without algae. All you need to know is how to grow plants properly. Learn that...not constantly finding ways of killing or getting critters to get rid of algae. (I bet you will give up after a while if you go down this route.)

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For my low maint tank, I stop having this problem after I reduced the lighting. Or you could shift the nanas to the shady area of the tank like what Hirowen mention.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi All,

I have this same algae problem with my nanas too!

So how much light exactly does nanas need? My tank now uses PL light....that too strong for them? I only on from about 4 hrs every night, when I come home up to before I sleep.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The plant will prefer to have full 10 hours approx of lighting. How strong the light given is depends on the wattage of your PL light. Do you know the wattage?

BTW, welcome to AQ!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    The plant will prefer to have full 10 hours approx of lighting. How strong the light given is depends on the wattage of your PL light. Do you know the wattage?

BTW, welcome to AQ!
    Thanks Squee!

Well I am not sure what's the wattage...its a normal 2 ft PL light (Maqnum brand). 10 hrs? That's quite a lot! Was actually told too much light will kill the nanas...I am also noticing that they are turning yellow quite a bit!

I have no co2 and fert for this tank by the way...wanted a low maint one.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That'll be 55W most likely.

10 hours is pretty standard. The range will be 8 to 12 hours. Note that you cannot compensate for lack of hours by increasing wattage, and vice versa.

Your Nanas are turning yellow because there's light, but not enough nutrients/CO2 to keep up with it. You have to reduce the lighting wattage somehow. I recommend 36W, or you can actually get some floating plants (quite ugly though, imho) to shield off the light. Another way will be to shift the Nanas into a more shady spot.

Give the tank good water flow and the Nanas should be alright.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Squee! Will go home and change the light tonight!