Thread: plant_newbie needs help

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, sorry to hijack your post but I'm new to planted tank, thus need advice from everybody about my proposed setup.

Tank dimensions: 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft
    Lighting: 2 x 36W
    CO2: Nil
    Plants: Hairgrass/Java Moss/Java Fern/Pennywort/Petite Nana/Vallis
    Filtration: Hang-on filters
    Substrate: ???
    Fish: 30 x Cardinal Tetras/10 x Cherry Shrimps/10 x Otos
    Accessories: Rocks

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't be afraid to start a new thread

So what do you want to know? You seem to be going non-CO2, have you read the stickied thread on top of this section (Tom Barr's Non-CO2 method)?

Substrate-wise, go for Lapis Lazute sand along with JBL Aquabasis Plus (this is your base fert). If you can get hold of "dirt" or the dirty stuff from an old filter of another tank, put it with your base fert before pouring down your Lapis sand. It'll help kickstart the tank in terms of cycling and plant growth.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi squee,
    Thx for your help, have read up the thread. Actually, I'm looking at a very low maintenance (non CO2) setup with the above mentioned proposed items.

According to the thread, my lightings (approx 1.44W/G) and no. of occupants seem ok, but like to know, with my proposed concept, is it possible to maintain the plants. Also, is it possible for me to do away with the dosing of liquid fertilisers?

Sorry for the numerous questions!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Why not? I have a 2ft non-CO2 tank setup according to Tom Barr's instructions. I feed the fish about 3 or 4 times each week. You could do away with it, but I think at the very least you need Seachem Equilibrium, but not dosing at all is not unheard of.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thx Squee, will purchase the items as per recommended, hopefully able to kickstart by cycling my new tank this weekend. Really appreciate your kind attention and advice.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Feel free to ask more questions, be sure you know everything about starting up before you take the plunge. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    heehee, been reading alot from the forums & I must say that it has been very informative for me. Now it is the time to try out the practical part, hopefully will succeed in my 1st try but nevermind even if I failed, coz failure is the mother of all success, right? Still have alot to learn from all the professionals here.