Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ram in community tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have never kept a ram before. I have a 2-ft tank with cardinals and corys. I like the german rams. I wonder if I can add a pair of german ram to the tank.

Are ram aggressive? territorial? Eat/harass smaller fishes?

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ram is one of the less agressive dwarf cichlid ard.. yes, they can be kept in a community tank without much prob.. they will only be aggressive during breeding.. usually chase off intruders

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Rams are aggressive and territorial among themselves and to other fishes that look like them in shape and colour.

A pair may not be a good idea unless you are very very very very sure that they are a mating pair. You'll need to put in at least 4 rams. This way you won't have one stronger fish bullying the weaker to death. Having more forces them to divide their attention and they cannot focus all they aggressiveness towards one single fish. Sort of a balance of power.

It'll be good too, if your tank is heavily planted so that the losers have a place to retreat to and hide.

If you have a mating pair, they will be aggressive to other fauna only when they have spawned.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Although I have read some articles about sexing the Rams, when I go to see for myself in the LFS, I am totally clueless about which is male and which female.
    Need help from you guys.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the only sign I know is by looking at the belly.. the female spot a yellowish belly when they r in their breeding mood.. above that I really dunno

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    In mature rams, the male will have longer elongated dorsal rays...like the apisto, but not as long.
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    their temperment are ok. But those i kept actually are relatively quarellsome. As long as you have some hiding places for your fish it is not a problem.

sexing, the most distinct difference is like Mez said. Males have longer spines at the front of the dorsal. As males get older, they will be bigger and take on a more longish body shape compared to females.

females on the other hand will grow to be more short-bodied with a smaller face.

It is hard to differentiate when they are young, and in dealer's tanks. Coz they are often not in optimal conditions and their colours etc do not really show.
    If you want to breed them, get several young ones and raise them together. even better if you can get from different sources...

as they grow u should be able to tell the sexes apart and there is a good chance of pair forming too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon I though female has a pinkish belly which male don have???
    To add on to the suggestions, my personal experience is that u can put 1 male and 2 female in the community tank to reduce their aggresive. Dono how to explain but it work for me for quit a few ram. [:]

Anyone successfully bred them? Cause the shops selling 5 bucks for one holland ram is way too expensive. Thinking of adding some in my tank, who knows, might just breed to. *heehee*
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe u can try Toh brothers at LCK FF. They selling 2 buck only

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sexing is really tikum tikum at a young age. I try to choose ones with more pinkish belly. Usually in the LFS tank you'll find the males maintaining their own small territory and will chase other rams away if they get too close. Some you'll notice moving between territories... these are probably females. They still get chased but are sometimes tolerated. They will usually not fight back, whereas males will 'quarrel'. If you see the long fin versions, the short fins ones are likely females. Colouration may be weaker. Sometimes you will find them staying close to another ram, they are probably a bonded pair. Anyway, these are just my observations.

Some LFS I find only stock the males, so matter how hard you try, you won't find any females...
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/15/2002 12:26:53 PM

Maybe u can try Toh brothers at LCK FF. They selling 2 buck only
    ----------------
    You have the address for Toh brothers?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/15/2002 12:28:59 PM

Sexing is really tikum tikum at a young age. I try to choose ones with more pinkish belly. Usually in the LFS tank you'll find the males maintaining their own small territory and will chase other rams away if they get too close. Some you'll notice moving between territories... these are probably females. They still get chased but are sometimes tolerated. They will usually not fight back, whereas males will 'quarrel'. If you see the long fin versions, the short fins ones are likely females. Colouration may be weaker. Sometimes you will find them staying close to another ram, they are probably a bonded pair. Anyway, these are just my observations.

Some LFS I find only stock the males, so matter how hard you try, you won't find any females...

----------------
    No wonder tried so hard also cannot tell the difference.

Thanks Vinc. I will try again prob at Toh bros when I find out how to get there... or is there any other recommendations?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So far, Toh brothers have the best price. They are at 16 LCK lane 9A. Must walk in all the way.