Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Views on putting 50 cardinal tetras in 2 ft tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Views on putting 50 cardinal tetras in 2 ft tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Am I being cruel or it is ok to do it?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ryan,

If you have adequate filtration or if the tank is a heavily planted tank, the bioload should not be a problem. Given the size of these fishes, 50 in a 2 ft tank is still managable. But there won't be much space for anything else.

Also, do take note that when you first introduce the fish, you have to manage the nitrate/nitrite in the water if your tank is fairly new. Otherwise, casualties will be high.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll say its cruel...they live in their own toilet. Imagine asking your entire family to live in the toilet for a week without flushing.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You see... if I buy 30 it will cost me 80 cts each, total cost $24. But the LFS selling 50 for $28.

So, if you were me, buy 50 or 30? Can't figure out, that's why asking the forumers for their thoughts.
    Last edited by benny; 7th Dec 2005 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanchong
    You see... if I buy 30 it will cost me 80 cts each, total cost $24. But the LFS selling 50 for $28.

So, if you were me, buy 50 or 30? Can't figure out, that's why asking the forumers for their thoughts.
    Don't buy them in quantity cos it's cheap. That's very cruel. Fishes are lives too, not decorations.
    If you want them cheap, share with friends.
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    50 on a 2ft tank is still managable. But as the tetras grow max in size, it will be compact. Really hard to judge unless we can see the tank decoration. 50 on a 2ft empty tanks sounds perfectlly alright with me, however if it is fully pack/crowd with plants, 10 fishes at times can see crowd as well. I have about 300+, didnt really count them in my 4ft tank. They look real nice. These fishes are meant to be in community(ie. large qty) to look very nice. Well, if you think it is crowd at your side, I'll be most willing to take them in. I'm a cardinal tetra man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanchong

You can find more people to share the fishes and buy in bulk. This can 1) help you reduce cost. 2) at the same time not overcrowding your tank.
    Best Regards
    YongHua

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The 2ft tank decor is glosso all around and a small drfit wood with nana. No background plants. So, is it alright for the 50 tetras? Hope I can make a decision tonight from these discussions and get the fishes tommorrow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry. Miss out on Benny's view on the issue of bio load. So with my decor, will the plants that I have enough to support the 50 fishes in the tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys,

I had about 100 pieces of medium sized cardinal tetras in my 2 ft planted tank, together with 5 oto and about 20 yamato shrimps. Initially, the tank was just planted with Riccia and there was one piece of driftwood and some rocks for decoration. Very minimalist. Looks just like a picture from Armano's book.

Then the tank was rescaped and planted with mainly crypts, E. tenellus and also some stem plants. The substrate is 80 percent planted. In both aquascape, the fishes were doing fine and became fat and greedy. The tank was support by an Eheim 2224 Professional series canister filter and with 2 sets of lights varying between 55W and 85W as well as a 5W UV light. Water change was 50% on a weekly interval whenever possible.

The point is.....with the correct filteration and management of bioload, 50 pieces of cardinal tetras can be more than adequately taken care of in 57 litres of water. I'm sure Ryan will care for his fishes and perform the usual water change. Most aquarists don't fancy the idea of loosing fish.

So let's give some decent advice and help Ryan along here instead of making sweeping statements.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ryan,

You need to let us know more about your current filtration setup, existing bioload as well as how long have you matured your tank so that the guys here can give you better advice.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok I try my best.

Got an external filter good for a 2ft tank. CO2 at 1bps, 2ft magnum light, 2and half week old tank. JBL substrate top off with a layer of small gravel. PH about 7. The water quality is excellent.

But read somewhere that the tank will have a PH peak on 3rd week. Is it true? Should I put in the fishes after the 3rd week.

The tank is filled with 6 otos and 20 cherry and green shrimps? By the way, how come my green shrimps dont look green?

Hope these info is adequate, really enjoy the forums active discussion.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This being the case, I would suggest you add your 50 cardinal tetras after your tank has been up for about a month. Your plants should be doing well by then and growing. That is a good sign that it's ready for fishes.

Enjoy your new setup and don't be greedy with fishes. Focus!

Cheers,

p.s. You might be able to do more than 1 bps for the CO2 for better results. Go search the forums for some interesting reading.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually don't need to rush your tank... those 50 tetras won't run away or the shop won't close even if you don't get the fishes tomorrow...

Wait till your tank is more stable (assuming from what you say is that it is just set up) then add the tetras also not too late...

Must also be diligent to change water every week... will notice that the fishes and shrimps look happier after the water change...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I still think that you should share the fish. Keeping in mind that cardinals do grow big (~1.5") and fat... They won't look so nice if they are 'cramped'... Get a smaller school and give them some space to move. They'll look better too. My 2 cents lah... It's for the aesthetics...

Moving on... Water wise, an external filter would be good as it adds not just good filtration, there is extra water volume. So, the 50 tetras would not be a problem.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree. Asthetics-wise it'll be rather bad personally, and the filter will have to be good. Diseases will also affect a larger group of them (= more cost) and generally they need to school, to have space.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ryan,

My suggestion is, dun save the $12, if u not sharing with others, just buy 30 cardinal will do

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh to add on, I used to have 100 cardinals in my 4footer. After 2-3 weeks, they fatten up and relax, swimming all over and that doesn't look nice, IMO. As their population thin out due to ich, they begin to look better. Now only 30+ left and they school wonderfully. Even with the green neons and ember tetras, they still stand out and school separately. That's why I'd recommend a smaller number.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't mind getting 5 from you if you are buying in bulk.

My cardinal numbers had decreased significantly..may want to top up a few to make it look nicer.
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Ryan.. let me know what fish shop this is and Where you stay.. i'll help take however many you want off your hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast