Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cryptocoryne emersed

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    this is my cryptocoryne yujii, havent have time to take good care of it, and it remained small.

人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is that grown with moss? Nice!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    java moss actually. The moss didnt grow well as i didnt have good ventilation and enough lightings.

I should be able to give all my crypts culture a good home pretty soon.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Hey lorba,

Beutiful yujii still. Just a question, when you mention ventilation, do you open the growing case/terrarium daily, or use a 12V fan? I get what you say with the mosses not doing well without adequate ventilation. I keep a fan in all of my tropical plant terrariums and moss cultures. Could really see the difference in the mosses when I added the fan. It also kept any mold/fungus formation to a minimum. I'm planning to DIY another fan for my new crypt setup too. Just want to know what you think. Thanks.
    Regards

MIN

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for crypts, it can even be open top, as long as the humidity is kept high. Covering it can be done too, but i think the effect is best when you have a spacious tank with more air space.

A fan prevents still air, i think it should work.

Is the water in your set up moving water?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    I'm actually running two setups, one in Sydney and a new one in KL. I found the air in Sydney too dry for open setups. I've left crypts out of water when rescaping for just a few minutes and they dessicate, curled leaves and all, which proceed to melt in water. Yeah, but found it to be different in tropical areas. Some crypts I left floating in water actually grew new leaves into the air, and continue to unfold. But currently I keep all of the emersed ones in an enclosed container. There isn't any standing water, just planted in very wet peat. Has only been a few days, but started to show root growth, some with new leaf buds.

The ones in Sydney are planted in pots and placed in standing water. A low speed fan was also installed recently. Don't know how it is now though. Does having moving water help? Read somewhere (maybe in the APC forums) that it doesn't make much a difference. Would love to experiment with it though if others have found it to be the contrary.
    Regards

MIN