Country
    Singapore

Luohan discussion

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    link

Budak and some friends here had made good points about the Luohan phenomenon.
    Cichlid and Luohan keepers should take a look, and also tell us how you feel too.

that post was not an attack against anyone

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lsz,

Thanks for helping to flesh out some of the pertinent observations of luohan keeping vis-a-vis the rest of the fishkeeping world.

Again, I would like to say, I have nothing against luohans (or any other fish, edible or otherwise), but do feel very strongly that the way luohans are being regarded and traded (like a speculative product) is doing untold damage to the fishkeeping hobby at large, in creating illusions and a 'wilful' ignorance (as Lsz has noted) about proper fish requirements, and in eliminating diversity from the market.

Feedback Score
    Well said Marc...

Nizz

Feedback Score
    this overated fish is flooding our lfs.somebody save us.every shop is packed of this stupid fish and no variety at all compare to the situation 1 year ago.I HATE LH!!!!!!!!no offense jus to off load my anger I accumulated over the year

Rgds
    LH is the power to the dark side.LH leads to fear.Fear leads to anger.Anger leads to hate.Hate leads to suffering.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    huaikong you are welcome to hate Luohan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    LOL , take a number and join the queue [:]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear Aquaquots (for lack of a better nick),

It has been an interesting exercise disassembling the myths and fallacies surrounding the luohan as well as the luohan industry's blatant hijacking of diversified fish-keeping. LSZ has provided some pertinent observations on the sociology of luohan keeping, and the exchanges in Care's post (in the general forum) shed some light on the dilemma faced by LFS owners in earning a living and catering to more diverse interests.

The next question, of course, is what fish-keepers who are not solely enamoured by the luohan and its accompanying myths can do to ensure that the hobby and trade is not subsumed by this deluge. I suppose in the very long run, all luohans are dead (this is an economist's joke), but for the time being, I don't feel very optimistic (hopefully I am wrong) about things. The clever luohan developers seem to be carefully baiting the market – first with normal luohans, then those golden luohans... what next? high fin luohans? – to sustain interest amongst the kiasu.

I am very keen to hear some ideas, from all corners, be it those who are into planted tanks, non-LH cichlids, arowanas, discus, bettas, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is not just marketing , marcus.

a lot of it comes from the very fish itself.

they have their own appeal, and they are indeed among the most interesting and most impressive looking "fashion fish" ever. Plus they are easy to look after, formidable.

I myself was drawn to young luohans last time when they just came out. I thought it is just fancy name given to the original Trimac. I actually owned one LH before, but i decided to sell it as it grew and i realised something was "wrong".

From a cichlid owner's point of view, this robust fish, juvenile or adult alike has many endearing traits.

The Luohan craze is unlike the blood parrot and hybrid discus or even double tail sword craze in the past that came and went. Its appeal is yet to wear off and i know it will take a long time.

i do not think that Koks themselves are ugly at all, it is natural. I had seen pure cichlids with Koks the size of tennis balls.

[:]

Feedback Score
    ya lsz i agree.my cute texas is delvleoping his kok head too.but i still hate lh.[]
    LH is the power to the dark side.LH leads to fear.Fear leads to anger.Anger leads to hate.Hate leads to suffering.....

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/21/2002 11:50:42 AM

ya lsz i agree.my cute texas is delvleoping his kok head too.but i still hate lh.[]
    ----------------
    LOLz [] [] []
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I got the hi-fin Lh already, but still at an inch.
    It is a red devil. LH hybrid given to me by my Dad's friend. [:]
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    SLY from Aquarealms posted this excellent link giving Western perspectives on the luohan and hybrid cichlids.

Certainly their concerns are valid. But these are moot to the cads who developed the fish and are peddling them to other cads who are out to make a quick buck from other cads who believe the fish somehow grants them heavenly providence.

http://malawicichlids.com/mw01013.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    that starting article is pretty one-sided and skewed. Highly subjective. Little ground except his very own. It becomes purely a matter of his personal preference and all who agree with him. Lacks depth except his strong opinions.

The Luohan thing happening here is not an issue of hybrid vs purebred.It is more abt misinformation.

if just on basis of hybrids vs purebred, many respected voices are gonna come out championing causes such as hybrid vigour, and the place of hybrids in human world since earlier time. Even pet dogs we have today are gonna come in.

I do agree with one of the views that the problem with Luohans is that they look real and pure. It doesnt look like a novelty creation.

and also, this phenomenon is not without its merits. As least from what i know, people actually have more awareness of central american cichlids now. Many are previous LH owners. People will not be talking so much abt central americans if not for this thing, and for me it may even be more sad