Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips on Ranchu?

Feedback Score

Any tips on Ranchu?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, I am planning to keep some ranchus and will probably get some small Thailand bred ones to start with. Anyone knows any good place to purchase them?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    (Hope to meet some ranchu lovers too)

Feedback Score
    hi there portisfish ,

im new to ranchus too but they r so cute arent they [] . currently i have two ranchus, one tea coloured and the other orange/red with white. bought for $12 qianhu and $16 typ 69 respectively.

im still not quite sure how to choose a good one, but accordingly to my bf, one of the most impt thing to chk is the spine of the fish must be in a smooth curve. the face, u like can already [:] [:]

both of them r pigs in water, i tell ya!!! and they r forever hungry [] [] and they response like carps too (and as told by bf, they belong to the carp family too so very sociable).

hope u'll find nice, fat, cute and hungry ranchus soon
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    Hi rain,

Hi rain, nice to meet u.

How big are the ranchus now? By the way did u mean u got one of the ranchus from toa payoh blk 69? I used to go there very often as I just stay round the corner.

I do not know how to select ranchu too, am trying to get hold of a book or mag which illustrates them.

Do you keep them in a glass tank or fibre tank?

cheers

Feedback Score
    nice 'meeting' u too.

yes i got my red/white ranchu from typ 69 abt 2/3 weeks ago for $16. that fella very cute and round [].

bought from the lfs that had just changed owners *but i bought the ranchu before the change* i have being there recently too, and realised that they dont carry anymore ranchus but louhans and some other common fish and arowana now.

i will eventually house the two ranchus in a shallow 4' glass tank. is ranchu ur first fish?? why them?? just curious [:]
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    my tea coloured ranchu is abt 10cm while the other one is abt 12/13cm.

u looking for how big a ranchu?
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    saw some nice ones at bioplast.have kept them before but that was years ago.
    cheers.
    When my fishes are happy, I'm happy.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/17/2002 2:02:00 PM

i will eventually house the two ranchus in a shallow 4' glass tank. is ranchu ur first fish?? why them?? just curious [:]
    ----------------
    Do you mean u gonna custom make a shallow 4' for the ranchus? Like the one at rainbow at serangoon north? I pretty like the black ranchus there, but kinda of ex.... will check qianhu this weekend.

Ranchu could be my first fish when I was much younger. hehe... I do keep some altums and dwarf cichlids like apisto now.

cheers

Feedback Score
    Hi Francis,

We've met right?

Bioplast? Where is it exactly huh?

Will love to check out the ranchus there.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    u sound like ur under the influence of simon hoohohohoho []
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/17/2002 2:52:28 PM

Hi Francis,

We've met right?

Bioplast? Where is it exactly huh?

Will love to check out the ranchus there.

Thanks
    ----------------

Yes ,long time no see[] []
    Bioplast
    blk 22 boon keng rd.
    you moving away from apisto?

Rain,Portisfish into apisto much earlier than Simon.our sifu in apisto.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/17/2002 3:57:06 PM

you moving away from apisto?

----------------
    No exactly moving away, am still trying to breed those few I have. In fact wanted to get some from TOH this weekend but was told they only have agassizii for sale now......

I am thinking of breeding ranchus , at least there is a market for them as feeder fish to feed arowana or LH. hehehe

cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what happen to yr other cichlids?as long as the feeder fish is not apisto......hehe

Feedback Score
    Hi Francis,

----------------
    On 5/17/2002 4:52:10 PM

what happen to yr other cichlids?
    ----------------
    Lost and gave away the rest of my tanganyikans, too difficult for me to breed those tropheus and they are really fierce. So I am only left with 12 altums and some dwarfs for cichlids.

Do let me know if you have any apisto for sale.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    dont breed ranchu as feeders .... []
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi portisfish, u may want to try Mainland fish farm, they have many tanks of ranchus and other types of goldfish. Its a paradise for goldfish lovers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I heard that ranchus are supposed to be appreciated from the top like a koi, is it true?

hehe thought of breeding them too as feeders for my aro [] so that can cut down on my cost.

read that they need pretty drastic temp changes to breed in order to imitate the different seasons.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Here a brief article on the standard of ranchus

http://www.showranchu.com/eng/knowledge/

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/17/2002 11:58:57 PM

I heard that ranchus are supposed to be appreciated from the top like a koi, is it true?

hehe thought of breeding them too as feeders for my aro [] so that can cut down on my cost.

read that they need pretty drastic temp changes to breed in order to imitate the different seasons.
    ----------------
    Hi,

Yeah, I think they are preferably appreciated from the top, reason maybe are to view the way they swim, their markings (for those gold (red) and white ones) and their tails. And looks like most people keep them in shallow water, am not too sure the reason why, maybe for the top viewing too. But one thing for sure they are not too smart in getting the fish food.....

Yeah, maybe you should try breeding them. Cos no matter wat you need to cull them.

I think many fish triggers into breeding mood when the water temperature turns abit lower, just to simulate the rain in the nature....

cheers

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/17/2002 11:40:01 PM

Hi portisfish, u may want to try Mainland fish farm, they have many tanks of ranchus and other types of goldfish. Its a paradise for goldfish lovers.
    ----------------
    Hi, will do that this weekend as last weekend was spent in the west. Thanks.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    hi,

I am a ranchu lover too, but due to work commitments i have to give up my ranchu hobby for a while. There are basically, 2 types of ranchus, Thai/china, and Japanese ranchus.

Japanese ranchus are viewed from the top, their body structure is different for Thai ranchus. Jap ranchus are more "rectangular" when view from top, ie their body is "straight" at the side, tail is spread open, "backbone" near the tail should be thick. And they swim very "smoothly". Scales condition are also better.. Price is definitely higher!!

Thai ranchus are best viewed from the side. they are more"chubby", "fat" with nice curved back...

I have a link which stores my jap/thai ranchus photos. you guys can take a look
    http://members.tripodasia.com.sg/Ranchu_Kid/index.html
    comments are welcome..

And also, do not be "conned" by local fish shops that they are selling japanese ranchu!! i am a victim years ago in sergangoon fish shop! Actually, only very few(~2) shops selling TRUE Jap ranchus.. So, dont' let history repeat on you..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast