Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Advice on Breeding Cherry Shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a 2ft tank with cardinal tetras, otos, cherries and green shrimps. There are a few pregnant cherries. What is the best way to harvest those pregnant cherries? Need advice.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Evict the cardinals, or put the pregnant cherries in a maternity tank.

I have found the best ways to catch shrimps in a planted tank is to use a chopstick and a small net. Get the shrimp to crawl onto the chopstick, and then scoop it up with the net. Somehow, I have more success with younger shrimps rather than the older ones with this technique, though...

/John

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bro, you should take out your cardinal tetras..
    i use to have SAE and tetras in my tank, and my cherries usually don't get to lay out the eggs. OR maybe it did but was all eaten up
    maybe you can get those small breeding tanks that stick onto the wall of tanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanchong
    I have a 2ft tank with cardinal tetras, otos, cherries and green shrimps. There are a few pregnant cherries. What is the best way to harvest those pregnant cherries? Need advice.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I saw some eggs released from my pregnant cherry shrimps on some of the moss. The next day, the eggs on the moss were all gone. Where could the eggs gone? Would the other cherry shrimps prey on the eggs?

The other inhabitants in the same tank are just another 2 otos and cherry shrimps.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?
    Live each moment like its the last

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I dun recall cherry lay eggs. The eggs should be with the shrimps and hatch shrimplets... Those eggs that were detach are gone case...so advise will be not to remove the shrimps as it might frighten/scare them and every "jump/flink" is a possibility of the eggs being detached. Remove the OTOs...they will "hunt" the small shrimps fries. The cardinals should be ok. - Provided there is plenty of hiding space for your shrimps...Mine is heavily mossed...so I saw the small shrimps in the mosses...(With my cardinals still in the tank as well)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by JT
    I dun recall cherry lay eggs. The eggs should be with the shrimps and hatch shrimplets... Those eggs that were detach are gone case...so advise will be not to remove the shrimps as it might frighten/scare them and every "jump/flink" is a possibility of the eggs being detached. Remove the OTOs...they will "hunt" the small shrimps fries. The cardinals should be ok. - Provided there is plenty of hiding space for your shrimps...Mine is heavily mossed...so I saw the small shrimps in the mosses...(With my cardinals still in the tank as well)

The shrimps released the eggs after I tried to top up the water.
    I was hoping for the eggs to hatch......

Thanks for the reply, JT.
    ~Chyrl~

向来如此便是对吗?
    Live each moment like its the last

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The best way is to only keep the shrimp in the tank. That way, you don't have to remove the pregnant shrimp and at the same time, worrying about the shrimplets being eaten by any fish. They won't detached their eggs and like what bro JT said that the eggs are gone if they are detached from the parent.

Happy shrimp keeping.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I kept my shrimps with platy and every now and then I will see pregnant females .... but I never see the shrimplet ... know what I mean?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi guys...how long will it take for the pregnant shrimp to give birth to shirmplets? mine has eggs which are visible

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi ... I have some cherry shrimps that has eggs. Some of them have yellow eggs and some of them have black colored eggs. Does anyone know what's the difference between the black and yellow colored ones?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by luenny
    Hi ... I have some cherry shrimps that has eggs. Some of them have yellow eggs and some of them have black colored eggs. Does anyone know what's the difference between the black and yellow colored ones?
    The black you saw maybe the eyes of the shrimplets.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by rtcc86
    hi guys...how long will it take for the pregnant shrimp to give birth to shirmplets? mine has eggs which are visible
    Hi, just got advice from Kensk, about 3 to 4 weeks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi since its already in discussion i might as well ask. If i have a few otocinclus in the tank with my shrimps, will the pregnant shrimps lay their eggs??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ahkarboy
    Hi since its already in discussion i might as well ask. If i have a few otocinclus in the tank with my shrimps, will the pregnant shrimps lay their eggs??
    Hi, Usually shrimps will release shrimplets and not eggs (must have mosses for shrimplets to hide), I understand that oto is known to be "shrimp friendly", thus I guess should be fine.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    thanx ivan. Going to get some otos today but the otos seem a bit rough when thier exposed to light. Do you think the shrimps will be okay?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ahkarboy
    thanx ivan. Going to get some otos today but the otos seem a bit rough when thier exposed to light. Do you think the shrimps will be okay?
    No worries bro, otos are very active and fast moving fish and I think they are "vegetarian" and don't seems to be interested in any living creatures.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    otos are the PERFECT tankmates for shrimps
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Btw, how do you differentiate between male and female?
    I bought only six... afraid that all of them are male >_<

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The female Cherries tend to be redder and nicer in colour. Their adomen are bigger while males are more slender.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yup, agree on that
    but they tend to be not so hardy ya? a colleague of my, introduced about 6 otos into his tank with 3 attempts but all failed.
    Luckily for me, my still ok. They are really gentle creatures, leaving my shrimps alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    otos are the PERFECT tankmates for shrimps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast