Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quality of Water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    For a new tank and especially for a newbie, what are the "must do" and "good to do" water parameter checks? Req advice on the regime to follow and the recommended brands. Tks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Um, I'm not sure how to answer you but when I have a new tank set up, I generally wait for the tank water to clear adequately first before adding in shrimp and otocinclus, and once my aquascape has more or less started to kick off in growth, I add the main fish.

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate testing has never been done, since you can easily observe the health of a tank and in fact it's all about patience.

If you want to check how good your water has become, I'd say check for clarity, presence of ammonia/nitrite, pH, kH and gH levels.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I check only for pH and kH to monitor the co2 levels. Also use mulm from established tanks to kickstart the bb colony. Adding in ammonia suckers like hornworts and floating plants are also important to prevent unwanted algae visits. Oh and start with a low bioload too....

Overall, I'd say maintaining good co2 levels is of utmost importance else the plants don't grow well and the whole system remains screwed

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    new tank - keep your lighting period in check is also important.