Country
    Singapore

Any cichlids other than apisto & LH

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

Anyone here keep medium to big sized central or south american cichlids like JD, salvinis, green terrors, etc. How abt sharing ur experience?

My 3 ft cichlid tank contains:

1 x JD (4 inch from lsz)
    1 x salvini (or a jaguar juvenile, the marking is so similar! / 3 1/2 inch from Clementi 32
    1 x green terror (3 1/2 inch from Ben TB)
    1 x firemouth (3 1/2 inch from TB bigger LFS)

These bunch of raffians are pretty decent. Minor brawls but no major ones yet (finger cross) The dominant is the JD and followed by surprise, surprise - the salvini. The bottom is the GT who has some confidence issues

Large bronze cories, updside down catfish and giant danios keep this bunch company. So far, it's a pretty harmonious affair. However, i lost a 3 inch giant danio this morning. I couldn't find him anywhere? And my cories have broken dorsal fins sometimes. So far, my upside down catfish are the most capable of asserting themselves. A 1 1/2 inch catfish shares his dwelling with my JD! Well, hope to post some pics in the future.

Cheers! Happy fishkeeping!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    1 x salvini (or a jaguar juvenile, the marking is so similar! / 3 1/2 inch from Clementi 32

cant be la bro , 31/2inch definitely tell them apart one

Oh and yeah , salvinis are fiesty.

Feedback Score
    if u got it from C328 then its salvini [], luckily for u when those fish r not in a pair breeding, ur tank is relative 'safe'. they get very very aggressive during breeding n they will not hesitate in taking on much bigger cichlids too. i know cos i used to have them [] very pretty fish especially the females
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    welcome here. finally see your post

yeah i have good interest in CA cichlds but due to their space requirement, i cannot have as much as i like.

have to tell you that your tank size is not a long term solution for the community you have here. as they get older, they will require their own space.

and also, placing them in such a "square off" setting will stunt their growth rather significantly. Not just the subordinate fish but the dominant one to a certain degree too as they are all pressure to maintain their power balance. No good for young cichlids in a crowded tank.

at 3.5" i think it is impossible to mistake salvinis and jag babies..in fact they can be told apart 1" onwards. at 3.5", can sex the salvini already

signs of nips on the cory, well if i am you i will be uncomfortable coz the only community setting i will accept is a "nipless" one and also where no fish had been singled out

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all

Thanks for the input, guys. Thanks, lsz for the welcome. The other forum was getting kinda quiet, especially their cichlid board.

So, i got a salvini. thank goodness, i thot i may have gotten a jag cos my salvini is nasty but fun though.

I know 3 ft is kinda small and the mix may not be ideal. But wait & see lah. I may change my planted tank to a cichlids tank since the latter have more personality. The only thing interesting in my planted tank is my blue ram and 3 checkerboard cichlids. The tetras are pretty but really dull in personality.

So, how many medium & big cichlids can u keep in a 3 ft? 2 - 3 max? Lsz, saw ur gallery and that's quite a large mix in ur community tank. Did u put them in when they are adults? I don't like the bare tank look so have lots of anubias, java on bog wood and clay pots in my cichlid tank. Most of the time, i can't see my cichlids except for my salvini which comes out all of time to greet me for food