Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I'm a newbie... just bought a driftwood. Was told by the shopkeeper to soak the wood in the tank for a few days for the brownish colour to clear. It's been 2 days since I soak it and the water looks clearer now. But the driftwood is still floating... will it sink or do i need to tie to some weight???

What would be the best time to introduce plants to the tank. I've laid fertiliser and gravel.

Many thanks

Cheers
    Larry

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It will sink... Depending on size, it may take a few days to a couple of months...

I would start planting the areas where the wood would not be placed and then plant the rest after the wood sank and is in place.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Depending on the type of wood, some take months to sink. Show us a picture. If it's the snake like type of root (rather than wood), then you have to weight it down.

Also, the wood may tint your water for a long time due to the humic acid it releases.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    soaking the wood in boiling water helps to fasten the process!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    boil the wood in a pot with a rock over it so that it is submerged for abt 15-30mins..after that switch the fire of but LEAVE the wood in the water. Leave everything until it is cool to touch... take out wood... plonk..it sinks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A lot of time, it is the problem with finding the container that can hold the entire piece of wood...

I am buying a BIG piece (~1.5-2ft long) soon... How to boil? Think that piece will take forever to sink... *Sigh*...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks folks.

I'll take a pic and show everyone.

I got quite a big piece... almost fill my whole 2 1/2 feet tank!

Now praying hard that the wood will sink fast... the boiling strategy is out for me as I don't think i can find a big pot to cook it

Cheers
    Larry

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    i have big pot and cooking stove.. you are all welcome to use it.. just have to pay a bit for the gas.. it takes a lot to boil a big cauldron of water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I feel silly asking this... How long is it going to take?? Maybe can play a game of mahjong while waiting? Keke...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    keke... appreciate that ranmasatome

Guess I'll just be patient and let nature take it's course...

Cheers
    Larry

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    I feel silly asking this... How long is it going to take?? Maybe can play a game of mahjong while waiting? Keke...
    lol..i usually boil for about 1 hr then switch off...go to sleep..wake up the next day and take it out of cool water... then TADA!!! magic..it sinks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But the trip back from your place the next day will 'drain' the soaked water from the wood?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    nope..the surface of the wood would probably be dry but the traped air is already expelled so when you put back into water it'll already sink since theres no more air there. takes much much longer for the water inside to evaporate.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Heh heh heh... Eyeing your stove now... Maybe can arrange a mini gathering at your place... Haha... Mahjong?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi folks,

Attached is my new setup.... still waiting for the dw to sink...

I just started this tank last Sunday... planning to introduce plants into the tank next weekend. Should be fine right?

Thanks
    Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images