Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Red face Need reassurance

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi. I'm new to planted aquariums. And no matter how much I read up on the topic, I still need some re-assuring. I'm into the end of the 1st week of my new setup. I noticed that my plants are no thriving (in fact, some are starting to turn yellow) and the water is still a little cloudy and brownish. Is this normal? Do I have to be patient for things to clear up? And is it time to clean my filter elements? Appreciate some words of wisdom from veterans.

Info:
    2' tank
    overhang filter
    FL
    Some moss, ferns, nanas, tellenus
    No fish or prawns yet
    Water change (1/3) every alternate day
    DIY CO2

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's just the first week, relax.

1) Your water should be clearing up soon. It'll turn clear overnight one day, it's always a big surprise. I used old filter media and bacteria seeded from another tank, so my process is much faster. If yours is brand new, then most likely you have to wait for about 2 more weeks or less.

2) The plants will need time to adjust. Which are the plants that are turning yellow?

3) Don't touch the filter yet. In fact I'd suggest you go out and get some source of bacteria or even those commerical products that help to cycle a tank fast.

4) Reduce your frequency of water changes. Once a week is often enough for planted tanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks for your advice. Good to be able to draw from your experience instead of fish shop owners whom I think is mostly profit motivated.

The plants that are turning yellow are mostly nanas and tenellus.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do more water changes to a new tank to whip it into shape faster. Consider getting some dirty filter material from your favourite LFS and seed the tank (instant cycled tank with live bacteria) and remember to pack the tank with plants...not just a few stalks only. Not sure if you are dosing all the necessary nutrients here but if you did, DIY CO2 is your main issue then. Yellowing is something major namely NO3 or CO2.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by black17
    Hi. I'm new to planted aquariums. And no matter how much I read up on the topic, I still need some re-assuring. I'm into the end of the 1st week of my new setup. I noticed that my plants are no thriving (in fact, some are starting to turn yellow) and the water is still a little cloudy and brownish. Is this normal? Do I have to be patient for things to clear up? And is it time to clean my filter elements? Appreciate some words of wisdom from veterans.

Hi, just like you I am too a newbie and my tank is 6 days old. If it is of assurance to you, I too hv cloudy water. I hv added Nutrafin Cycle to aid the filter. The only problem I face, is the temptation to add fish. But patience......... Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Do more water changes to a new tank to whip it into shape faster. Consider getting some dirty filter material from your favourite LFS and seed the tank (instant cycled tank with live bacteria) and remember to pack the tank with plants...not just a few stalks only. Not sure if you are dosing all the necessary nutrients here but if you did, DIY CO2 is your main issue then. Yellowing is something major namely NO3 or CO2.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    I haven't read up on dosing and providing nutrients yet (trying to read up as much as I can - just found out about this forum today). The only nutrients that went into my tank was Azoo basic fertilizer laid out under the gravel. Apart from that, nothing new has been added.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by ehlim
    Hi, just like you I am too a newbie and my tank is 6 days old. If it is of assurance to you, I too hv cloudy water. I hv added Nutrafin Cycle to aid the filter. The only problem I face, is the temptation to add fish. But patience......... Cheers.
    Did Nutrafin Cycle work?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not sure, as I don't know how to measure its performance. But recommended by some fellow members. 1 member thinks that it speeds up the tank maturation by a week. And heck, it costs only $15 for a 500ml bottle, might as well buy some assurance.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I have read that during the 2nd week of setting up, prawns should be introduced to prevent algae. I'm keen on putting in some prawns as it's cool to see them moving around the tank.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you're confident of your parameters, why not? I did that for my tank in week two.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i ve added in shrimps in the 3rd to 4th day before, as loing as you are confident that there are no fluctuations in water parameters, you are good to go. No worries. But the 'yellowing' plants could prove to be tricky, need more specs like how much wattage... etc etc...

Nanas are hardy plants that dont usually need light or co2, i m wondering whether your tank temp is the prob here
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I will try to furnish more information, but may be a bit tricky as the tank came as a set (with light, overhang filter and undergravel plates). Tried looking at the FL tube, but nothing imprinted looks like an indication of wattage. Will be getting pH test paper strips tomorrow from the shop I bought the tank from. Maybe he can give me more info.