Images
    Country
    Malaysia

very unsuccesful with shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    up till now i still haven succesfully kept cherries in my 1ft tank. They keep dying in about a week or less. My last batch was killed by my sis who sprayed some shieldtox in the room... (they lasted one week) what do you think is the problem??

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, I had mine all swimming frantically up and down after I sprayed insecticide nearby too.

Your cherries, either it's the acclimatisation process, or the ammonia level in your water. I've a feeling it's the former. Check out this acclimatisation method.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, do you mind posting your shrimp tank setup for further discussion ?

Did you comm the shrimps with any faunas ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    no, just shrimps by themselves. temp is bout 28 in the afternoon 26 at night, ph is bout 7.4

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ahkarboy, do you have any plants in the shrimp tank? Also, how many shrimps did you have in the 1ft tank?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ahkarboy
    no, just shrimps by themselves. temp is bout 28 in the afternoon 26 at night, ph is bout 7.4
    28 degrees celsius for cherry shrimp is manageable, but not for other shrimps such as crs, tiger, bees etc...cos they need lower temp...
    The only water parameter you have to take note is PH beside themperature, keep them between 6.5 to 7.2. For sensitive speices, keep the temperature low, best around 25C, in a better conditioned tank, 27C may be ok. Robust species can do well at around 29C.

Shrimps are very fragile, they die of several reasons such as PH shock, temperature, stress and moulting. Most shrimps when transfer to another tank with different ph and temperature will moult, u can see them swimming up and down. Improper moulting will cause the shrimp to die. Shrimps need hiding place after molting, a good shrimp tank provides some hiding space from diftwood. Rock is good to have in a shrimp tank, check out how it affect water parameters before using them. Tying moss on driftwood is the easiest way to to start a shrimp tank. However, moss is not a must for shrimp tank, using plants will work as well. Remember to soak newly bought plant a few days before putting into tank, there are cases where newly bought plant causes shrimps to die, supposely, the residual pesticide is the cause.

Most shrimps die within the first 2 weeks of the so call "danger period" when first intro into tank, if they can survive, they shld be able to do well and breed in your tank. climatise the shrimp properly b4 adding into tank like slowly adding the tank water into the plastic bag of cherry shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ahkarboy,

You don't give us enough information to help you with some decent answers. Can you list down more details?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    If i were to decrease the temp more means i'll have to add anotehr fan which also means i'll have to top water up everyday!!!!!cant seem to decrease the ph value... tried injecting co2 into the tank but it hasnt decresed. had bout ten shrimps and all of them died in the 1st week. plants are glosso, riccia, sagitaria and some eleocharis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Shrimps are not difficult to keep if you keep them in small dedicated low maintenance tank (no fert no CO2) with lots of low maint plants (mosses, ferns).
    I do not dose ferts in my shrimp tank and only change 1/3 water every 2~3 weeks. My tank temp is 27~28.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    lol if only someone told me earlier... had a low maintanance tank before...shrimps very doing ok but my dad wanted to have glosso so we rescaped and added some base fert.. took out my moss too. it had lots of thread algae.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ahkarboy, what do you use in the shrimp tank?
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    what do you mean what do i use in the tank?? as in???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What type of substrate, plants, filter and other stuff you have in your shrimp tank? We need more info of your tank setup. Help us to help you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes i fully agree with this point. Had a tank planted with glosso, and was having so much problem rearing shrimps in it. Recently rescaped to have moss wall, moss on DW. at least now, my CRS are doing well..
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Baron
    Shrimps are not difficult to keep if you keep them in small dedicated low maintenance tank (no fert no CO2) with lots of low maint plants (mosses, ferns).
    I do not dose ferts in my shrimp tank and only change 1/3 water every 2~3 weeks. My tank temp is 27~28.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm kind of unsuccessful with shrimps too...could the ddition of liquid fert be a main killer?

specs of my tank:
    2ft, cherry shrimps, moss, driftwood, nana,
    pH=6.3, kh=3,
    10%-20% weekly water change with addition of equilibrium every water change.
    using seachem flourish for liquid fert, dosing 2ml every other day.
    CO2: 3bps.
    temp: 26C - 28C...
    Last edited by Justikanz; 9th Apr 2006 at 00:37. Reason: SMS language...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    my shrimps in my new 1.5ft tank are doing great but not spawning yet. Haven been doing water changes or done any......just top up water every day. Moss, in my experiance with 3 tanks, must be very thick for shrimps to live in

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I stress on the acclimatisation process... take a look at the second post on this page. Some people can get by by dumping cherries in their tanks.. some need at least a day to acclimatise the shrimp.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    i just throw in mine. If i'm unlucky one or two will die. But overall its ok

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Shrimps are sensitive to liquid fertilizers so I will suggest that you just add abit.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ShrimpyFu
    Shrimps are sensitive to liquid fertilizers so I will suggest that you just add abit.
    i had my cherries in my 2 ft planted..
    i'm using liquid fert.. seems to be ok though.. maybe i'm lucky...
    i only check for pH level during the first 2 weeks...
    now i never care about pH level..
    Cherries are breeding... hardy fellows...
    only add water once every 3 days...
    temp high!!! not using fan... day time up to 33..
    night time about 31.7... to add in, i have a grade C CRS inside too...
    to be exact.. i have about 20+ pcs of cherries, 1 grade C CRS, 10 Yamatos..
    i added in cherries only at later part when i gave away my cardinals... and thought of using the tank for shrimps...
    Regards,

胡炽文
    Sherman Foo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast