Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: BBA growing on downoi.. what's wrong ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

BBA growing on downoi.. what's wrong ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Tank is 26 gallon (100 litre)
    Lighting : 69W (10,000k and 6500k tube) 8 hours per day.
    CO2 with solenoid on 8 hours per day. About 1.5 bps.
    CO2 is via external reactor from NA. This was DIY to include a CO2 airstone inside. Both done the person who sold me the set because he is moving overseas. He was using it fine i was told.
    PH : 6.2-6.4
    KH : 5-6
    GH : 0-1
    Temp : 25-26 degree celcius with chiller.
    Ammonia : less than 0-1 ppm
    Nitrite : less than 0-1 ppm
    ADA amazonia soil
    Some coral chips in filter media to buffer the PH.
    Plants : HC, Downoi, hairgrass, frogbits, christmas moss, mini pelia, Anacharis
    Tank is running for around 2 months.

From the CO2 chart, seem like my CO2 is in excess. Range of 60ppm. Is that correct ? Because ADA soil will lower the PH and coral chips up the PH so will my CO2 estimation based on KH and PH be accurate in this case ?

But then BBA is growing seriously on my downoi for the last 2 weeks and some hair algae on my hairgrass (a bit only). HC is doing well with no algae.

Some brown aglae on the tank wall which can be got rid easily.

I got Lushgro which i rarely dose because most of the plant is HC, downoi and hairgrass and i assume they will do fine with the ADA soil at least for time being.

Dosing Seachem Flourish about 3ml every 2 or 3 days.

I did try to dose Lushgro according to the Estimative Index but seem like the BBA grow even faster compare to no dosing.

Any idea what's wrong that contribute to the BBA on the downoi ?
    Last edited by spinex; 10th Jan 2006 at 02:57.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    CO2..CO2 and CO2 unless you have a very heavy bioload. But then again, you would have other forms of algae to go along with it if your bioload is really that high to cause issues. Inline reactors have issues when the filter flow rate falls...efficiency drops as does the CO2 level.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    CO2..CO2 and CO2 unless you have a very heavy bioload. But then again, you would have other forms of algae to go along with it if your bioload is really that high to cause issues. Inline reactors have issues when the filter flow rate falls...efficiency drops as does the CO2 level.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Thanks i'll try to adjust the CO2. My flowrate is 1200l/h so it shouldn't be the problem.

But then base on the KH/PH, CO2 for my case is already very high ? Or is it because i'm using ADA soil and coral chips so CO2 based on that chart is not accurate for me ?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by spinex
    Or is it because i'm using ADA soil and coral chips so CO2 based on that chart is not accurate for me ?
    Yeap, it won't be accurate, in fact you can't use the chart at all. Have to up till BBA stops growing then.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    Yeap, it won't be accurate, in fact you can't use the chart at all. Have to up till BBA stops growing then.
    Thanks. I have at least double the CO2 last night. Can see some pearling from my HC after 1 hour of increasing the CO2.

Hope that will deter the BBA growth.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Make sure you remove the present BBA because upping CO2 will only prevent new BBA from growing, but won't kill present algae.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    Make sure you remove the present BBA because upping CO2 will only prevent new BBA from growing, but won't kill present algae.
    Yes already gradually trimming off those leaves with BBA on it.

How long will it take before i see improved plant growth ?

There seem to be like some yellow leaves from HC (not very healthy look) and new leaves from the hairgrass is also bright green (usually of a dark tone). Is that due to my insufficient CO2 in the 1st place or cos of my fert dosing ?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    YMMW (your mileage may vary). I observed improved plant growth about say... 1 week later for me? Not sure, I've forgotten about the time when I had BBA.

The new leaves from your hairgrass is allright, generally for plants new leaves are always lighter green. As time goes by if the leaves remain lighter coloured or "don't look healthy" then you've got a nutrient deficiency. The yellow leaves from the HC might simply by emersed leaves (when you get HC from the LFS, they're usually in emersed form and need to convert to submersed form) rotting away. Trim away those sections if you want to.

Hope your BBA goes away soon