Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Hyphessobrycon metae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone has good pictures of Hyphessobrycon metae?

A tankful of them at Ben's but fright coloration. Googled images are no good.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    could be something similar to this, it is very hard to be sure of the exact species even with reference to books like Géry. The old description are typically without good colour plates.

Last edited by hwchoy; 14th Jan 2006 at 03:38.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona ˇ crumenatum ˇ Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    choy is that a recent pic of the fish?if it is it's one of the ones that we have been getting they class them as a cf metae, the real metae is similar to the one you posted but the clouration is more intense, the dorsal profile is deep brown the wedge is black and it does'nt have the yellow flashes on the peduncle, dorsal, anal and ventral fins have a white trim.
    will try to find a pic of them.
    mick

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mick, this is a very old pix of a fish found as a contaminant. in a long discussion over at petfrd we more or less establish this is most likely a female form of a species which as strong sexual dimorphism in body colours, and best described as Hy. cf. metae, but frankly of the myriad of undescribed tetra species, we should just call it Hy. sp. xxx or something.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    i agree with you, characins are confusing enough as it is, there was a small shipment of the real metae come in last year but it meant traveling over 200 miles to get them, one of my many friends who keep fish imported his own 4 yrs ago, he still has a small shoal of them, and beautiful they are.
    mick

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    worst thing being, characins is a nightmare to photograph because their colours changes drastically under different light, especially flash. I suspect it is because there are reflective structures under their scales surface so that when flash is used (which is strongly penetrative) they reflect colours very different compared to ambient condition.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    worst thing being, characins is a nightmare to photograph because their colours changes drastically under different light, especially flash. I suspect it is because there are reflective structures under their scales surface so that when flash is used (which is strongly penetrative) they reflect colours very different compared to ambient condition.

Use a soft box. Read up under photography for reflective jewellery.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic
    Anyone has good pictures of Hyphessobrycon metae?

A tankful of them at Ben's but fright coloration. Googled images are no good.

Thanks.
    Welcome to AQ!!

Are you refering to Ben's at Tiong Bahru? If so, I might go down and get some.

Cheers,

p.s. pardon for asking as I'm not sure if you are based in Singapore.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    choy, being new to photography, ive only taken a few pix of characins, i can imagine especially the reflective fish like neons, and cardinals it's a nightmare to get a good shot of them,
    mick

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny

Cheers,

yes we can do all that, what I meant is comparative to other families. it will also happen when viewed under sunlight.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mickthefish
    choy, being new to photography, ive only taken a few pix of characins, i can imagine especially the reflective fish like neons, and cardinals it's a nightmare to get a good shot of them,
    mick

actually it is also a very good way to explore your fish in minute details which you will not otherwise. when doing a close-up shoot of these fishes, you can appreciate their finer structure which the flash light will penetrate and reveal to you.

some other fishes, such as loaches, have typically opaque scales/skin but you will appreciate the intricate texture.
    Last edited by hwchoy; 14th Jan 2006 at 14:02.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cheers,

actually I think this particular pix is taken with white paper cover as the scales are not reflecting nor deeply penetrated. really need to go get an omnibounce.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes we can do all that, what I meant is comparative to other families. it will also happen when viewed under sunlight.
    I had so much trouble shooting the green neon tetra. It's only green when view at 45 degrees from from or back. Give up. Anyway, all the books show them as blue.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually it is also a very good way to explore your fish in minute details which you will not otherwise. when doing a close-up shoot of these fishes, you can to appreciate their finer structure which the flash light will penetrate an reveal to you.

some other fishes, such as loaches, have typically opaque scales/skin but you will appreciate the intricate texture.
    I totally agree!! It really amazing what kind of details you can see and take the appreciation to another level.

Cheers,

p.s. when you are far way in distant lands, you can also call up your picture and enjoy your pets too!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had so much trouble shooting the green neon tetra. It's only green when view at 45 degrees from from or back. Give up. Anyway, all the books show them as blue.

Cheers,

that's true, when I flashed my congo tetras they came out blue! the one cyrprinid I could think of that has a similar problem (i.e. beyond being just simply reflective) is the Sundadanio axelrodi. when flashed you can actually see golden flecks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    where is ben's place located any landmark?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sundadanio axelrodi... when flashed you can actually see golden flecks.
    Pretty isn't it!? Too bad you can only appreciate these finer details through photography and not your naked eyes.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pretty isn't it!? Too bad you can only appreciate these finer details through photography and not your naked eyes.

Cheers,

maybe if you tank is sun lit?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Nannostomuss
    where is ben's place located any landmark?
    next to the old TB market, near the 4D place.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    could be something similar to this, it is very hard to be sure of the exact species even with reference to books like Géry. The old description are typically without good colour plates.
    Thanks. From Googled pictures, as mentioned by mick, the coloration seems more intense. Sadly, no side profile and not any clearer.

from http://aquarich.jp/tsuhan/fish_p.html

from http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/a...ycon_metae.htm

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast