Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

babies!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Guys, my black molly just gave birth[] .. but i only managed to salvage only 4 babies... did not noticed them till i saw my betta chasing one of them and b4 i can do anything, one of them ended up as snack for the betta!!! right now, i scope out the remaining 4 fishes and placed them into my shrimp tank.. which is filled with java moss.. hopefully i can find more tomolo morning.. []

btw, a few questions...

1.what is the average size of each brood?
    2.does the female molly give birth to all at once or scattered birth; i.e, 2-3 babies this minute.. then swim to another 5 minutes to another location to give birth?? which is something along the same behaviour as that of Sea turtles...

pls kindly share your expert advice.. hehehe..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Kel, I think they should be just like guppies and platies, ie one baby every couple minutes. Depending on the size of the mum, I had guppy broods beyond 70+. So you can expect something in the tens.

Don't worry, they will get pregnant and give birth again very quickly, soon you'll be looking for more betta to help eat up the babes. []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Kel, I think they should be just like guppies and platies, ie one baby every couple minutes. Depending on the size of the mum, I had guppy broods beyond 70+. So you can expect something in the tens.
    broods ard 70+?? i only found 4 leh..[] i guess the rest kenna makaned by my tetras, betta and bumblebee fishes..err.. does bumblebee gobies eat them???

Don't worry, they will get pregnant and give birth again very quickly, soon you'll be looking for more betta to help eat up the babes. []
    well, i dun mind them having in such a big group.. coz i have surplus, i will still raise them and then if nobody wants, they become fish food for my marine fishes.. hehehe
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kel, I said the guppies have brood size of 70+. Not sure about mollies. My platy recently had a brood of 15 (what's left anyway) so you do your own extrapolation.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kel,

congratz.

it will spawn again. take note...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kel, I said the guppies have brood size of 70+. Not sure about mollies. My platy recently had a brood of 15 (what's left anyway) so you do your own extrapolation.
    ----------------
    ok.. i really dun know how many there are as i only managed to salvage 4!!!.. sigh.. but it is better than nothing.. []

Colin, i wish it will happen too.. but the father had died recently.. sigh.. looking ard now for a 'step-father' for the kids.. hahaha....

anybody have a spare male black molly or know where to get them?[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kel, when you said you have betta with your mollies and tetras, is your betta those fighting fish?

Just curious...

Feedback Score
    hi
    i've been keeping mollies for about half a year now.

it is true that they breed a lot. i get about 1 spawn
    per month. I've never got more than 5 fries per spawn.
    the most recent one had 3, the one before that had 4.

1 thing that I find very strange though. All the fries
    that managed to survive in my tank are females. I suspect
    my alpha-male will kill any male fry if he detects them.
    I've never caught it doing it however

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    it is true that they breed a lot. i get about 1 spawn
    per month. I've never got more than 5 fries per spawn.
    the most recent one had 3, the one before that had 4.
    good that means that i be getting another brood soon once i find another male

1 thing that I find very strange though. All the fries
    that managed to survive in my tank are females. I suspect
    my alpha-male will kill any male fry if he detects them.
    I've never caught it doing it however
    speaking of which.. hey.. that is true.. i noticed that in my fries.. now that u mentioned it..[:]

Raphael, yes... that is the fighting fish..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    livebearers, including mollies, come out all as girls. the guy's thingie, the sharp gonopodium only develops when the fish matures.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    livebearers, including mollies, come out all as girls. the guy's thingie, the sharp gonopodium only develops when the fish matures.
    ----------------
    in that case, does the water temp plays a part in determing the gender of the fishes?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i dun think so.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's usually the PH.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    Raphael, yes... that is the fighting fish..
    ----------------
    Oh .... All the while, I thought we can only keep a single betta in a tank as it will start chasing and killing the rest of the fish. Dunno you can keep tetras, mollies and guppies in the same tank!

Yeah! Then I can keep a fighting fish with my other fish liao!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    heh.. I've got 3 fighting fish in my tank.

I bought 1 nice full moon one,.the I got the other 2 which I thought were normal females, but turned out to be males. but the tank has lots of plants so they do live together without casualties or injury.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Loupgarou, may I ask if there's such a betta that has a full moon tail? A true half moon has a tail spread of 180 degrees, exactly half a circle. Anything lesser ain't half moon at all. Just my 2cents.....
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/28/2002 2:45:09 PM

heh.. I've got 3 fighting fish in my tank.

I bought 1 nice full moon one,.the I got the other 2 which I thought were normal females, but turned out to be males. but the tank has lots of plants so they do live together without casualties or injury.
    ----------------
    interesting. so when 2 bettas male meet, do they fight a bit, then
    1 of them will try to escape?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    think it depends on the bettas.

my colleague put 2 males into a heavily planted 4footer. both bettas didn't "want to lose", so one died...
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    well, i dun mind them having in such a big group.. coz i have surplus, i will still raise them and then if nobody wants, they become fish food for my marine fishes.. hehehe
    ----------------
    Kel!!!! Aiyo! You feed the babies to your marine fish....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    NinjaFly, Kel is from the DARK SIDE. Don't know what else he can do![]
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast