Country
    Singapore

No CO2, how?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi hi...

I am planning to start a 2footer and thus asking this... I am not going to introduce CO2 for this tank and I will be using a substrate consisting of a mix of lapis sand and AZoo's Plant Grower Bed. so...

1) Can I replace the CO2 with Excel?

2) Can I not dose liquid ferts? Especially if I am not dosing Excel?...

3) I will be using 2x24W T5HOs. Would I be inviting algae problems?

I am looking at planting Hottonia plaustris, Blyxia japonica, Ranunculus papulentus, APP, glosso and maybe Downoi...

Thanks!
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm....Any reason why you don't want CO2?

If you have an existing cylinder nearby, you can consider splitting the CO2 to into this tank.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The 2ft tank will be in my room. No space for a CO2 tank there leh... Wild Ginger saw my room, think he will agree 200%!

Anyway, I had tried a 1ft tank with Taiwan moss and Limnophila sessiflora without CO2 with no problems. But I amunsure if it can work for a bigger tank and different plants, especially now I will be using soil for the first time...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ya, I think your lights are on the high side. Maybe one tube will be better instead of using two.

You can don't dose liquid ferts if you know what you're doing... namely your macros will be from your fish load and feeding.

With Excel I'd at least have some from of weekly fertilisation.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Have you seen the thin and slim CO2 cylinder at Biotope? It's possible to hang it on your tank too.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    2 x 24W should be ok.

Do a search on low-tech or non-CO2 tank, you should find some useful information.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Would it be better to use normal FLs (T8s) instead of T5s then? Would FLs emit more heat than normal FLs? I am worried about water temperature...

If I stick to this 2x24W T5, would it mean I would definitely need either CO2 or Excel? And thus, the need to dose ferts?

With the AZoo Plant Grower Bed (or other base ferts), do I still need to dose liquid ferts?

Benny... wonder how much the slim CO2 cylinders would cost!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bclee, thanks, let me read through that thread again for more clues...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    2 tubes is okay.. dont need to dose if no co2 even with this amt of light. just periodically top up with water from a high tech tank can liao. mine runs on even higher wattage and plants are growing fine.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    wonder how much the slim CO2 cylinders would cost!
    I believe Benny is referring to the C02 cylinder from Mr Aqua.!
    If I can recall, I think the volume of the tank is 0.6L and it come as a sleek aluminium-coloured!
    I think its selling for around $130!
    Cos I was looking for one not too long ago!
    In the end, bought mine from NA for $99, its from UpzAqua!
    However, I am using it for a 40L tank!
    Not sure how long it will last you if you are using it for the regular 60L tank!
    Will try to upload a pix later!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi

It is possible too have no CO2. I have a tank which I dose with excel and on a 55w magnum light. the plants are doing great.

The substrate is ADA powersand with ADA soil and alot more fert.

Perhaps you can try with a very rich base fert?
    There can only be ONE

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'd read some of the posts at the Low-Tech Tank thread again and realised that most, if not all, dun dose. If dose, they dose very little. Hmm... I think I will try to plant heavily from the start and go with no or very low dose.

Justin, somehow I dun quite like the idea of using high tech tank's water for water change leh... Can pass parasites easily and somehow I got this wierd idea that the water straight from the tap is 'cleaner'... Haha...

Evolim83, thanks for the info... That sounds like quite a lot... Think I will stick to no-CO2...

joydiv, I am not using because of 1) cost and 2) I dun want the pH to drop too low.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    err...you only transfer some of the water like 1 or 2 buckets.. just enough to top up.. NOT a water change.. ONLY do this when your high tech tank is doing well.. no sick fish etc. the idea is to xfer some of the excess ferts over.. it wont be much but low tech tank dont need much anyway.. i aviod dosing ANYthing at all this way.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, got your idea... Or I can like what Juggler mentioned in the thread, dose a drop or two...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    err...you only transfer some of the water like 1 or 2 buckets.. just enough to top up.. NOT a water change.. ONLY do this when your high tech tank is doing well.. no sick fish etc. the idea is to xfer some of the excess ferts over.. it wont be much but low tech tank dont need much anyway.. i aviod dosing ANYthing at all this way.
    Don't do that...the amount of nutrients in that CO2-enriched tank is pretty heavy and you can have toxicity issues if it were to build up in the non-CO2 tank. Just watch the fastest growing plant in the tank and add 1/10 of what you dose for EI whenever you get plant growth problems. The rate of growth is very slow that it is does not cause much issues even if the nutrient runs low. Its a balancing of fish waste vs plant growth for a non-CO2 enriched tank.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Peter, i only put about 500ml for the entire week from that tank into 15 GALLONS leh.. still too much ah? i dont like dosing leh.. very troublesome.. maybe drop to 2 months?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You don't need to do that....just feed the fish daily and maybe add some coral chips in the filter and you are pretty much done except whenever you fastest weed starts to have issues (holes in the leaves and etc.). I wouldn't want to risk anything...its your wish though. 30ppm of NO3 dilute into a small tank is still pretty heavy.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    30ppm??? no la...after dilution it only comes down to about 1-2 ppm...maybe even less.. for the entire month.. calculated liao.. the dilution factor is too large.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Coral chips?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    for calcium..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast