Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: African Cichilds need higher PH?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

African Cichilds need higher PH?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Cichlids experts,

I had bought 3 Apistos and 4 African Ciclids (dunno their names).
    However, they died within 2 weeks. When I checked with the LFS owner, he told me that they need higher PH and that's it. Busy entertain other customers...

I had never meddle with the PH of the water before, normally just buy fish and then throw them in the tank. So, how do I increase the PH of the water? By adding chemicals in or will adding those rocks helps?

Normally, when I see a pure Cichlid tank, they are always rocks decoration. I suppose those rocks play a part in the PH?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ninja, Apisto needs acidic water which means low PH and that means they trive better in PH lesser then 7 but they too can tolerate High ph to a certain extend only.

As you know african cichlids and South american cichlids come from different parts of the world, you have ought to know that their water conditions are different so do not mix A cichlids with SA cichlids they don't come together.

where did u get yr apisto from maybe i will like to check for you which LFS owner told you such stuff.

you got to also get to know what you are getting and not simpliy get anything. It's for the benefit of your fishes and yourself.

anyway if you will like to get apisto again do tell me where and what u getting will try my best to tell you what they actually do prefer.

i really don't believe this kind of shop owner who can actually say one sentence and go what 'after sales service' they got there. tell me which LFS you've gone to. If you will like to go to that lfs again do tell me i will go there to, and see it for myself.

just my 2cts worth +)
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    ya loh.tis type of shop sucks.gd one will warn you of unique condition fo keeping the fishe b4 u buy it.tell us which one for us to avoid it..tks

rgds
    LH is the power to the dark side.LH leads to fear.Fear leads to anger.Anger leads to hate.Hate leads to suffering.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Before everyone start shooting everyone else....i read the first post again and it seemed to me like what the shop owner said about requiring the high PH was refering to the african cichlids. Moreover the title of this post is enquiring about african cichlids.

In which case it is very true , they require slightly harder water as compared to most other fish.
    This variance in pH also has to do with the original habitats of the rift lakes of africa. Fish from Lake tanganyika require pH around 9-9.3 to truly thrive , while those from Lake Malawi welcome readily pH levels of 8-8.5

First you have got to identify what kind of cichlids you got.
    Next cater for their needs , pH level included.

Buffering of water can be done by adding coral substrate to your tank or coral chips also.
    Coral rock can also be placed into the tank.
    If adding such items in your tank is not an option , you can also place coral chips as a form of filter medium into your filter be it an external canister or an internal one.

I personally advise anyone against the usage of chemicals to increase pH.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    but of cos he also stated apisto in it.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Basically, I bought the fish from 2 different LFS. One is in the newly open Bukit Batok near Bukit Gombah Sports Complex. That LFS basically sells LH with a some other tropical fish. He sells some African fish too and when I asked him if those are Apisto, he told me yes. Coz I had seen a few Apistos and those fish looks like those in the tank. Since the Apisto fans here says that they are quite hardy fish, I thought of giving a try. Anyway, he told me that the moment he put those in, quite a number of people actually clears off his stock leaving only about 10 inside the tank.

The second set of African fish were bought from the LFS along Jurong West Ave 1 after the big canal(PolyArt Aquarium). But that shop was forever pack with people and the LFS owner just simply just too busy. I bought a few of the African fish. Only when I visited the Aquahobby website (www.aquahobby.com) that I know the fish I bought was Electric Yellow Labido (Labidochromis caeruleus) that lived in Lake Malawi. I have been eyeing on those fish and it has been in his tank for at least 2 weeks and it seems quite healthy. When I asked the LFS owner what kind of water conditions the fish needs, he just told me normal tap water and then there he goes elsewhere entertaining to customers.

Well, those fish never make it. I think I will really need to get as much details of the fish I want in future or they will just ended dieing off.

Anyway, thanks for the advice regarding them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Guess i got to go down by myself to look at this LFS.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That LFS in Jurong West Ave 1 is always quite crowded and I just happened to know a few days back that some of the helpers there are just regular customers there helping out in their own free time. Maybe you can check it out to see if the price for their products are reasonable...

Funny thing is that if the African Cichilds needs higher PH, how come their fish seems to quite happily surviving in those tanks...[:0]

As for those newly open shops, I guess they are only interested in making $$$ out of the LH lovers and dun really care about the rest of we hobbists ....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The jurong west LFS i've visited long ago...didn't visited tht lfs tll now and i give him thumbs down.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    The jurong west LFS i've visited long ago...didn't visited tht lfs tll now and i give him thumbs down.
    ----------------
    For me not much a choice since I don't travel that much to other LFS...most of them I dunno how to go. That's the few LFS around my place...