Images
    Country
    Singapore

Taiwan moss browning

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My moss is browning. What does it indicate? At the same time, it also seems to be growing (light green tips).

Basic info (not much :P):
    Low-light (< 2wpg)
    No CO2
    Tank temp unknown (haven't bought thermometer yet)

Is it a good idea to put in icepacks to lower the temp? I'm not sure whether the inconsistent water temp will be good for the flora and fauna.

Please help! Thks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if u nv intro any fans or sort of cooling agent into ur tank...most prob the temp of ur water woul be ard 29-30 degrees......too high for moss..

try not to use the icepack method...very troublesome..
    and i read somewhere b4 that fluctuation of temp increase the likelihood of "ich" attack..so "TRY @ UR OWN RISK"!!!!
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thks taz_boy.

So the browning is caused by overly-high water temp? I just puzzled that at the same time it seems to growing.

Anyway, the icepack mtd is not too much trouble if it works alright. Chillers are way too expensive and I don't think there's any space left in my cabinet cover to install fans. How many 12v fans would be necessary for a 4x1.5x1.5 tank?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Valjean
    My moss is browning. What does it indicate? At the same time, it also seems to be growing (light green tips).

Basic info (not much :P):
    Low-light (< 2wpg)
    No CO2
    Tank temp unknown (haven't bought thermometer yet)

Is it a good idea to put in icepacks to lower the temp? I'm not sure whether the inconsistent water temp will be good for the flora and fauna.

Please help! Thks in advance!
    Could you just us abit more information. Are they tied on wood or use as foreground.

But provide these information, we will be able to advise you more efficiently.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Whoops sorry. New to all this.

Tank dimensions: 4 x 1.5 x 1.5
    CO2: None
    Lights: 3 FL (unknown wattage) -> upgrading to 2 x 54W T5HO soon
    Substrate: Riversand
    Filtration: External cannister

Plants: Taiwan moss on driftwood, e. tenellus
    Fish: 7 Neon tetras
    Last edited by Valjean; 1st Feb 2006 at 00:52.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm guessing your water temp to be above 28 Dgrees C. And those lights should be too low as well. No CO2? Taiwan Moss is hardy but you don't need to abuse it like that. Mosses need cool water and high lights to spread fast.
    Are you dosing any ferts?
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Are they newly introduced? Do you have any fertilisation?

I suspect too high temperatures or acclimatisation process. If they're growing (the light green tips are a sign) then I won't worry much.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Weirong and |squee|,

The tank has been set-up for less than a week. I chose taiwan moss coz I thought it'd be suitable for a low-tech tank.

For ferts, there's rootmonster for the e. tenellus (looking yellow ), and tetra florapride for liquid fert.

Not sure where there's space to install fans (how many would I need for a 4') so I'm trying out the icepack method currently to lower the water temp before the T5s are mounted.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Weirong and |squee|,

The tank has been set-up for less than a week. I chose taiwan moss coz I thought it'd be suitable for a low-tech tank.

For ferts, there's rootmonster for the e. tenellus (looking yellow ), and tetra florapride for liquid fert.

Not sure where there's space to install fans (how many would I need for a 4') so I'm trying out the icepack method currently to lower the water temp before the T5s are mounted.
    Less than a week and your moss is dying and growing at the same time??? It doesn't really make any sense to me. I have never seen that happen in all my years of keeping moss.
    And you mentioned yours is a 4ft low-tech tank with no CO2 added and high temp. All the more unbelievable.

Post a pic? I really need to see this!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pls pardon the poor hurried pics. :P

This is an overview pic of the 4' tank.

This is a closer look at some of the healthier moss. I don't think you can really see the light green tips here though.

And this is a pic of some of the browning moss. Look at the ones in the background which appear whitish in this picture. They're actually light brown.

Hope this helps in the diagnosis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They may just be suffering from acclimatisation. I believe it's your temperature problem. Try getting hold of a thermometer and see how.

BTW, nice looking wood you've got there! Do it justice

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Stupid new digital thermometer I bought for $7 today from Colourful indicates water temp to be 20.5 deg C. Argh, waste of good money.

Someone please help and recommend me a digital thermometer that works.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Stupid new digital thermometer I bought for $7 today from Colourful indicates water temp to be 20.5 deg C. Argh, waste of good money.

I think you should go back to the shop and have it changed.
    Btw, your moss looks fine to me. I wouldn't worry too much if it's growing. But you should look into lowering the temp of your water.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    On second thought, you have just tied your moss to your driftwood if I'm not wrong. It's normal to have a few browning strands if so.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I already threw away the packaging in good faith. Heh. Anyway, now the digi-thermo is reading between 28 to 31; changing every few sec. I think I'll change the batt and see what happens.

Also looking at adding 2 or more DIY fans after the T5HO lights are installed and I know how much space is left in the cabinet cover.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have never bought anything else other than plants from him!
    Dun really think its the place to get equipment from!
    NA would be a much better place for equipment!

Also looking at adding 2 or more DIY fans after the T5HO lights are installed and I know how much space is left in the cabinet cover.
    From my experience, the difference in number of fan does not affect the water temp much! Eg. Having 2 fans and 5 fans for a 3ft would only results in <0.6 deg. C!
    But i guess you would need at least 2 fans to need down the temp to desirable temp. Jus my guess!

BTW, nice peice of wood you have there!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by evolim83
    From my experience, the difference in number of fan does not affect the water temp much! Eg. Having 2 fans and 5 fans for a 3ft would only results in <0.6 deg. C!
    But i guess you would need at least 2 fans to need down the temp to desirable temp. Jus my guess!

BTW, nice peice of wood you have there!
    I wanted to visit NA but it was closed today. Decide to pop into Colourful so that it wouldn't be a wasted trip and bought some plants plus this thermometer.

Thanks for the advice about the fans. Glad to hear that 2 will suffice coz that means less space taken up, less electricity and less noise.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Like tank setup with a beautiful drfitwood. First of all, I just want to mention that I have taiwan moss growing beside a window (no direct sunlight) in a shallow tank. No CO2 and put with guppy fries. It does look bigger but of course grows slowly. I have another one (taiwan moss covered driftwood) which does not grow much from the day I put it in until now (2 mths already). All these tanks do not have fans.

For your fans, if u want to get 12V type and quiet ones, go for current around 0.13A types as I have heard they are less noisy as compared to higher amp ones.

IMHO, I would also like to add if u can add CO2, the moss may grow better. Since your tank is 4ft, not sure DIY would work. However, why not add some form of CO2 to let the moss grow become a bush before cutting CO2 off so u get a very nice moss covered driftwood. But since it is a low maintenance tank...
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Added a Sunto fan from NA. Water temp now ranges from ~26.5 to ~27.5 (provided the digital thermometer is reliable). Is this low enough for my taiwan moss?

Didn't expect a single fan to be able to bring down water temp by more than 2 deg. But the NA uncle said one would be okay. As this fan is placed at one end of the 4' tank, I was thinking there could be another one blowing at the other end. Would this knock the water temp down noticeably more, i.e. another 1-2 deg?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Imho, it's low enough.

You could try, but people have been saying that there's a limit to how low the temperature can be lowered. So even if you have ten fans, the temperature might still be 26.5 degrees C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast