Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

like to plant cichlid tank need help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    good evening, i have a 55 gallon cichlid tank with about 9 cichlids in that vary in size and speices i would like to plant it but i would to get some insider info before i go spend a lot of money. i am using an under ground filter, 2 whisper power 60 hang on tank filter, and 2 power heads (just listing so you know) i know that cichlid like to dig and pull up plants but i think that a planted tank looks so much better and it gives the fish more hiding spots. i pretty much know nothing about plants or how to get it started. this tank has been set up for a 2 years now and i have had some of the fish longer then that. if i could figure out a good way to take a couple of snap shots of my fish i would i have tryed but no good pics yet if there is any more info that is needed just let me know.

Thanks
    kraylon

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi! Welcome to AQ... Seems like a more US guys are joining us now.

Allow me to first ask some questions...

1) May I know what type of cichlids are you keeping? Knowing this will be able to allow us to help you suggest plants (or not).

2) 55gallon, is that a 2ft tank? How tall is the tank? That, together with the fish info would allow us to give better suggestions...

Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    i don't know all the names 1 red zerba, 1 yellow lab, 3 blue johnnies, 1 peacock, 1 compressiceps, 1 kenyi and 1 demasoni i think this is there names the tank is about 2feet tall

oh and i have a pleco which has become buddies with my yellow lab
    Last edited by |squee|; 1st Feb 2006 at 00:01.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Rift lake cichlids eh?

Oh... That will be tough... I would suggest you try cheap java moss tied on rocks or a Vallisneria sp. in the background. The vallis would have to be protected from the cichlids using rocks placed near the plants. The tall tank would also be good if you are using the vallis... The vallis could also do well in the hard water that rift lake cichlids thrived in...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    how do i get started since my tank is already up and running and will i need to remove or change any equiment?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome kraylon!

I've limited experience with Cichlids, and the only nice plant I've seen in cichlid tanks are Anubias barteri var. nana. You might want to check with LFSes around your area to see if they have this plant.

Anubias barteri var. nana or simply Nana for short are easy to care for plants. They don't need to be planted in the gravel, they don't need good lighting or fertilisation. All you have to do is to tie them using cotton thread or fishing line to a small peice of rock and leave them there. Keep your tank lights on for minimum of 8 hours daily and keep temperature less than 30 degrees and you should be fine. Some people still can't keep Nanas this way, but I believe it can work for you.

Nope, you don't need any change of equipment except probably a light set if you don't have one.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, with nanas, mosses and vallis, you probably can get away without adjusting your equipment. Also, with rift cichlids, hard water and high pH, I would not suggest CO2 injection too.

However, with your seemingly strong water current (2 filters and 2 powerheads), I think there might not be enought CO2 to go around for vallis... You can try with a few plants first, to be sure.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kraylon,

Welcome to Aquatic Quotient!

From what I can see of your setup, I would recommend only Anabias barteri and it's variants, tied to rocks. These hardly plants are pretty fuss free and will be able to survive in your tank.

I would not recommend CO2 injection as this will lower the pH of your setup.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to you too, Kraylon!

Apart from Anubias spp., you can try Java fern if you want variety. Tie them to the driftwood or even to the rocks. Java fern and nanas are low light plants. If you plant vals, you will need to make sure you have fairly good lighting, and make sure the root area is protected like Justikanz said.

CO2 injection is not necessary for all these plants. And in anycase, your bioload is high enough to produce the necessary CO2.

/John

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    i have thought about doing a away with the above power filters and getting one canister filter would this give me more plant opitions?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    i have 2 18" 15 watts day light bulbs on the tank which are on for about 12-13 hours a day

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not really, your plant choices are limited because of your equipment, fish characteristics and water specifications needed by your fish.

Anubias are what I've seen in Cichlid tanks posted on the Net. Java fern and Vallis are viable too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Your plant choice are limited by your fish choice. The filters and powerheads should stay, if they are required and favoured by the fish. Afterall, they had been there long before the plants will...

Actually, I would nw think Anubias might be a better choice. Some of the rift lake cichlids do munch on plants when available... The leaves of the Anubias are tough enough to withstand both the fish's attention and the stronger water current. Also, your lighting is considered low (<1wpg)... Better to stick to Anubias.

There are many kinds of Anubias available for the aquarium trade. Check with Auatic Plant Central for what is available in the USA as the members there are more US based.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    thanks guys i think i now have enough knowlege to start planting my aquaruim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do show us your result.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    i will it might be a couple of months i just bought a 130 watt light for this aquaruim i be getting the stuff here and there

Thanks