Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: introducing fish

Feedback Score

introducing fish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi been arguing wif a fren on how to introduce new fish into tnk.he prefer direct release but i insist on the safer methodut the fish bag to float in the tnk at least 30 min.any comment and personal exp r welcomed to share....

rgds
    LH is the power to the dark side.LH leads to fear.Fear leads to anger.Anger leads to hate.Hate leads to suffering.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    depending on the fishes, I prefer to float the bag in the tank to get the same temp b4 intro into the tank.. but I do a direct transfer with apisto.. dependent on how sensitive a fish is

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    me usually dump the fish in cos not really have the time to slowly aclamatise. If my wife not around then I will aclamatise the fish into my tank. If you asking why I do this way.... well, because scared wife scold lah....

However, to more sensitive fish I will float the bag in the tank, slowly mix the tank water with the bag water etc etc....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    I'm more troublesome. I put the new fish into a little tank, and mixed approx. 50% of the tank water. Then I quaratine them with interpet no.5 one or two days. I'll introduce them direct into the tank.

----------------
    On 5/29/2002 3:39:33 PM

If my wife not around then I will aclamatise the fish into my tank. If you asking why I do this way.... well, because scared wife scold lah....

----------------
    Same here. []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i also do the direct way..but i do have a holding tank for fishes same as a quarentine tank so sometimes more sensitive fishes(up to date none) i will put them there and then later transfer over.

i do encourage to have a holding tank for fishes as and when you have extra fishes or new fishes you can put them there first before introducing them in.[]

just my 2cts worth.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    for more sensitive fishes or invertebrates in marine, i float it for ard 15-20 mins, then i slowly mix the tank water with that of the plastic bag with fish/invertebrate until it is almost fill b4 releasing them.. but i usually switch off the lights first..

For Freshwater, i just dump it in.. []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    throw it in.
    arowanas or whatever fish i have so far alike.
    i dont have problem of them not able to survive haha
    i dont even bother to net the fish out
    i pour in the water from the bag also

Now thats bad practice not recommended

Feedback Score
    a bad habit of mine ..... im just too excited to c how the old fish will react to the new guys so i simply empty into the tank once i close my door []
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Normally, I will float the bag in the tank for about 10-20 mins.. depending if I have other things to do like housework... then slowly add tank water to it so as to aclimalize them to the tank water condition. After that, release the bag into the water and let the fish swims out.

After that, I will observe the reaction of the fish. If the fish started to stay at the surface of the water or hiding in a corner, I will put them in the 12" quanrantine tank and wait for a few days before putting it back.

I normally would float the bag for 15mins in the tank's water. Followed by mixing the contents with a little of the tank's water. Then pour them into a pail, before using a net to transfer them to the main tank.

One question for those of you who also mix the water : How do you manage to transfer your fishes into the tank,without pouring in the bag's water too? (If no netting is involved).
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7168/Bleeder4.jpg

Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance :: Carl Sandburg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    How do you manage to transfer your fishes into the tank,without pouring in the bag's water too? (If no netting is involved).
    ----------------
    Well, I would use the same method as yours. Place them in a pail and then scope out. BUT if no netting is involved... use hand? []

Heehee...very funny ninjafly. I believe some people would pour nearly all of the water out of the bag, then dump the flapping fishes in.
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7168/Bleeder4.jpg

Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance :: Carl Sandburg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    dun understand leh ...when wife around, need to do something different ??

all : not a good idea to pour the water from the bag into the tank. you can let the bag float and scoop some tank water into the bag to let them get used to temp and water chemistry. then net them out. the water from lfs may contain parasites and bacteria that can infect your whole tank. of course best is to quarantine for a few days with medication but too troublesome lah

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry peter, i drain all the water out of the bag b4 putting the fishes in

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/30/2002 4:18:37 PM

Heehee...very funny ninjafly. I believe some people would pour nearly all of the water out of the bag, then dump the flapping fishes in.
    ----------------
    ME
    [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I believe some people would pour nearly all of the water out of the bag, then dump the flapping fishes in.
    ----------------
    what i do is that once the water temp is the same as those in the tank, i empty the water inside the bag and then scoup the water from the tank into the bag and then wait for the fish to overcome the shock of being lack of water for a few seconds and then slowly empty it back to the tank..[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it depends also.

for me the concern is not temperature, but of water parameter. If the fish had been in the bag for long, ph in the bag water will drop..and if suddenly exposed to higher PH, will cause gill burn.

for me the fish reach home fast so i am not so worried abt that. And many LFS put the fish in new water in the bag. so will always do a relatively big water change before going out to get fish

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    ----------------
    ok ok ... dun use hand... use a spoon/toy spade? []

Ok, serious .. After acclimating the fish with yr tank water, how about draining off most of the water and then scope up some water from the tank using the plastic bag and then soak it in. Once there is water in the bag, the fish will slowly swims out? [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Best not to get any of the bag water into your tank.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast