Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Are those neon tetras?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Been to C328 yesterday and bought back 3 tetras that has the similiarity of the neon tetras, but slightly different.

The luminious part is only at the head/eye portion and the body is plain, with only the tail that is red in color. Initially, I thought they are the normal neon tetras, so I bought only 3. Surprisingly, they cost $1 each! As expensive as 1 cardinal tetra or a green neon tetra! [:0]

Anyone has one of those? I will try to get a photo of that if possible when I get hold of a digital cam.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    fake neon tetra? the colour is like a wash away version of the norm neon tetra?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    fake neon tetra? the colour is like a wash away version of the norm neon tetra?
    ----------------
    huh? Got fake neon tetras? Those do not have a luminous strip on their body. Dun look like those wash away kind...

Anyway, those neon looks like those which kanna neon tetra disease kind.. Just that they are perfectly healthy. Definitely not sick.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/30/2002 9:41:27 AM

The luminious part is only at the head/eye portion and the body is plain, with only the tail that is red in color. Initially, I thought they are the normal neon tetras, so I bought only 3. Surprisingly, they cost $1 each! As expensive as 1 cardinal tetra or a green neon tetra! [:0]
    ----------------
    I saw that b4 at Sam Yick (East Point). Don't remember seeing the name.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    strange but true - there's something called a False Neon. Paracheirodon Simulans![:0]
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    flor, the P. simulans is the green neon, those schooling in Nature's riccia zen tank.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    `[:0] it looks like a sad-looking (pale) cardinal in my book![]
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi flor, the green neon doesn't look so good in pics but looks great in a school under lights. checkout gan's or chan's display tanks.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks! but very happy with my normal neons in my 1.5ft right now. not much spare space there liao![]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    there are a lot of tetras out there
    no one can hope to ID all of them, especially when there're new species discovered all the time
    and it's all the more difficult in c328 where all the fish are haywire all over the place ^ ^

i think a digital photo of them would be best

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    there are a lot of tetras out there
    no one can hope to ID all of them, especially when there're new species discovered all the time
    and it's all the more difficult in c328 where all the fish are haywire all over the place ^ ^
    ----------------

You are right .. the fish in C328 are really messy! BTW .. Guess what I saw when I released the fish into my tank? All the 3 funny looking neon tetras had all their tails bitten off! Dunno why I never notice that when I catch them. BTW .. sometimes, I was really questioning myself on the condition of their tank water.

----------------
    i think a digital photo of them would be best
    ----------------
    Sure, once I get hold of a digital camera next week. I will try to take a pic and post it here.

Feedback Score
    Ninjafly-san

R u referring to the tetras in the tank beside the rows of killifish? I think u might be referring to the 'lamp-eyes'? I believe Gan has them too (or had them?). The 'luminous' part is the lower half of the eye & the rest of the body is plain whitish.

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nizz, they referring to those neons that Chan has, exactly like a neon except the centre part of the neon stripe is missing.

Hi,

That type of neon tetra is known as Paracheirodon innesi spp. (aka White Neon). Its neither Cardinal tetra, Green neon nor the normal Neon tetra. It a variety that does not exist naturally in Amazon but arising from human breeding.

I too have these tetra for a year already and I keep them with cardinal and green neons. Nice fish.

Regards.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nice shaosiong
    one point tho
    it should be p. innesi var., not spp.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/2/2002 11:56:04 PM

nice shaosiong
    one point tho
    it should be p. innesi var., not spp.
    ----------------
    tsk tsk... P. innesi var.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    BITE ME
    o(____)0

[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/3/2002 12:41:52 AM

BITE ME
    o(____)0

[]
    ----------------
    ARHMMMMM.... YUMMM...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nizz-san,

At that time when I buy them, those fake neon was beside the guppy tanks at the left side of the shop. dunno about now. But I think they are definitely not 'lamp-eyes'. Maybe it's as what ShaoSiong said, those are 'man-made' resulting the body becoming like that.

Anyway, personally I dun find those white neons cheap.. For those who keep neon/cardinal tetras, additional of those will still look nice in your tank.

[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes! Finally got hold of a digital camera and managed to take some pictures. Though quite badly taken, I think you should be able to see the fish's features.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast