Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feeding a betta

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just bought my very first betta from C328. Tried feeding it with flakes, didn't seem to take it, any ideas why? I guess it is not it is normal diet, so I was wondering could I get it to change its diet?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is possible to train it to take pellets by starving it a couple of days. But to get it to take flakes is more difficult.

/John

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Once it learns that anything that hits the water surface is food, it will take anything...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    OK, it seems to work well now with flakes. Also realise that they are leisure eaters too, dunno if it can keep up with the rest of the others in a community tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This you dun have to worry, IME... When hungry, they let the others know... Unless their tankmates are too big for them to bully...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Beware, your betta may end up eating the smaller tank mates. Anything less than 2 times the size of it's eyeball is in danger. For eg, my 8cm betta pugnax swallowed a 3cm pond goby(Stomatogobius poecilosoma)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle-mania
    Just bought my very first betta from C328. Tried feeding it with flakes, didn't seem to take it, any ideas why? I guess it is not it is normal diet, so I was wondering could I get it to change its diet?
    i understand that your betta started to take flakes already but just a small suggestion, maybe you can feed it live or frozen worm sometimes to let it enjoy? if not it is a bit pityful...
    lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
    Hypancistrus and Tanganyikan cichlids breeding

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, live foods contain vitamins that aren't found in bottled fish food. start breeding daphnia for your little guy/girl

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Problem, my betta is going into a community tank soon. Going to add a ram, 4 choc gouramis, 2 whiptail, 4 threadfin rainbows and some clown killies and coral red pencils, both of which I am waiting for them to come in. The thing is I have always been worried about how live food could introduce parasites or pests such as flatworms in. Could I just go on frozen?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One of the gurus would have to answer you there, does freezing denature vitamins?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi...i am not a guru here but just want to answer the question...

to jungle mania....if you are afraid to introduce parasites into your tank, it is ok to feed the betta or your other fishes with frozen blood worms, i am sure they love the worms too. frozen worms are nutritious as well but as a reminder, thaw the frozen worms beforehand... to prevent the liquid from polluting the tank...

to XnSdVd....freezing does not necessarily denature vitamins, natural products and even some proteins (proteins gets denatured easily) as vitamin and other bioactive molecules are not as labile as proteins.....

anyway, the thing is to get frozen worms that are still in good quality and prevent freezing and thawing the worms many times..this would lower the quality of the substances present, especially protein. secondly, do not keep the worms in -4degrees for too long as it may deteriorate slowly....(probably from 3-6 months time)...
    lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
    Hypancistrus and Tanganyikan cichlids breeding

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sound advice, johannes, will keep it in mind.