Country
    Czech_Republic

Question EDEN 501 filter / Share your experience please

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    I know that this filter has been mentioned here so many times, but.. there is something important for me why to found another thread about EDEN 501.

I'm from country, where you cannot directly buy for example ADA, Seachem or other advanced aquaristic stuff for your design aquarium you want to run well. EDENsrl products has no representative in our country as well and I'm as a 'small tanks aquascaper' highly interested in this type of filter - external for small tanks.

As you can see on many software-download websites "Try before you buy", let me ask you for answering few questions about this (EDEN 501) filter:

1) How are you generally satisfied with this filter?
    2) What do you think about efficiency, what maximum tank's volume would you recommend this filter for?
    3) How easy is the installation? What problems did you experience with?
    4) How easy is the maintenance? What problems did you experience with?
    5) What about noise production? Can you compare it to some other filter (I've experience with almost all Eheim prodution lines)?
    6) Do you have any comments to this filter, some other pros or cons?

I'd like to know really everything to be possibly able to extend Czech market of this filter for small tanks.

Thanks very much for all replies. It will help.

Regards V31 - Czech Republic

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have installed one set recently. Here's some of my comments, I am sure others could provide more constructive comments on this.

Easy to install, looks good, no need to prime, quiet... very happy with it

2) What do you think about efficiency, what maximum tank's volume would you recommend this filter for?
    This is designed for small tanks (I am currently using it for a 2ft apisto tank). I don't have the spects with me now, but I doubt it would be efficient for bigger tanks. I have heard some are using it for 1 ft cube tank as well.

Simple. No problem at all.

Have not done any maintenance as I've just installed it 2 weeks ago. But I don't think there will be any issue. I suppose if you need to do a thorough cleaning, you will need to take care of water following out of the tank if you detach the filter from the tubes - no ehiem-style tap to prevent water from following out.

5) What about noise production? Can you compare it to some other filter (I've experience with almost all Eheim prodution lines)?
    Quiet! There will be noise for first few minutes. Once the filter drives out all the residual air, it will be silent.

The recommendation from the manufacturer is to keep the filter at the same level as the tank, and the tubes provided are not too long either. I am using it for the top tank of my two-tier setup, and I need to rest the filter on a table just next to the tank. There is a clip for attaching the filter to the side of the tank - but this is not provided in the package that I bought, i.e. need to purchase separately.

Overall, I am happy with it and look forward to setup my 2nd set soon.
    Last edited by benny; 15th Feb 2006 at 09:50. Reason: fix quotes

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kray
    I suppose if you need to do a thorough cleaning, you will need to take care of water following out of the tank if you detach the filter from the tubes - no ehiem-style tap to prevent water from following out.

The recommendation from the manufacturer is to keep the filter at the same level as the tank, and the tubes provided are not too long either. I am using it for the top tank of my two-tier setup, and I need to rest the filter on a table just next to the tank.
    9/12 mm hose are available from Eheim or hardware shops. You guys might also like to know that Eheim has both single and double taps for 9/12 mm hose connections that fits the Eden 501 filter's hose set perfectly.

Most shops don't carry this, but C328 at Clementi Ave 2 has the 9/12 double taps. You have to ask for it as it's not a common item. Mrs. Toh will know.

Flow rate is up too 300 L per hour and the 230V model uses 5 watts of eletricity. It's too for tanks up to 60 L easily.

Detailed specifications and accessories were discussed here.
    Last edited by benny; 15th Feb 2006 at 10:44.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Regarding the 9/12 taps, you gotta look carefully in the whole lots of taps...
    Some of the labelling on the packaging might be 12/16, but in actual fact, it is 9/12... Mrs Toh might not have noticed it actually, but see will know where all the taps are...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1. I like this little filter and my only complaint is the fairly transparent body of the filter. I sprayed mine black.

2. I honestly would not recommend this filter on set-ups bigger than 18 x 12". The flowrate is a little weak.

3. I had ths filter up and running in 10 mins, or less.

4. Like Benny has mentioned, the 9/12mm double/single tap valves from Eheim will fit this filter nicely and make maintainence a breeze. As it is out of the box, it is a little annoying as you have no way of just shutting off flow to the tubes and moving just the canister to clean.

5. It's as silent as an Eheim.

6. I would say a little more thought should have been put into the design of this filter. The flow in this filter is from left to right, what's to stop the dirt from just falling through the media, clogging it up and just being sucked out of the filter again? In normal canisters, where the flow is from bottom-up, it is this flow that's keeping the dirt in the lower layers, preventing the top layer from being prematurely clogged up and from just being pushed back out the filter.
    I do like that it's meant to be placed on the same level as the tank and can easily be hidden behind the tank and out of sight, unlike HOTs.
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by brianclaw
    The flow in this filter is from left to right, what's to stop the dirt from just falling through the media, clogging it up and just being sucked out of the filter again? In normal canisters, where the flow is from bottom-up, it is this flow that's keeping the dirt in the lower layers, preventing the top layer from being prematurely clogged up and from just being pushed back out the filter.
    There is actually a compartment divider that "force" the water flow from one compartment to the other. Is your divider missing?

I find the Japanese addition of a filter pad to be quite interesting in removing debris from the water. See the link in the earlier post.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    I find the Japanese addition of a filter pad to be quite interesting in removing debris from the water. See the link in the earlier post.

Cheers,
    I added a filter pad cut to shape and it works wonders too. Used only one pack of the rings, placed and wool pad and added some biohome below. Working great!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I did add a sponge to mine too, but it still gets clogged pretty fast.
    Water continuosly flows downwards carrying the dirt with it, past the divider, up into the sponge and out of the filter. Maybe a pic would explain it better?

Would I get another if budget allowed though..? Yes, it's a pretty nifty little filter and would do nicely in an environment where you just don't have the space below to fit a canister filter, but still want one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Brian, as benny mentioned, the Japanese version added a sponge on the right compartment and that stops debris from flowing to the left side and back into the tank. You can easily cut one sponge yourself

In addition the black sponge also helps to filter out bigger debris from going back to the tank too

Did you add a fine or a coarse sponge? I used the fine one. My colleague used both

Here's the one benny mentioned:

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Very satisfied

Quiet and efficient. It is recommended for 60litre tanks but I got it on my 81 litre tank. Works fine. But in my case I increase the amount of bio filtering by putting in Biohome Red.

What i got on the inlet compartment is :
    - 1 layer of small bio rings
    - Coarse Filter Pad
    - Biohome Red (about slightly more then half the container)
    - Fine Filter Pad

Flow rate is quite good. About on par with the 2213 i had previously. Best indicator I can think of that it is working well is that I didnt suffer any major outbreak of shrimps have death after the switch to Eden from my 2213

Very easy!! No problems. Its plug and play!!!

No problems with maintenance. I just
    Turn it off
    Lift the filter up above the level of the tank
    Unlock the lid and take it off. Leave the lid above the level of the tank
    Clean the compartment. Takes about 10-20 min
    Put it all back and Prime

Very quiet filter. Quieter then the old 2213 I had

Pros are all written above. Cons inflow is a bit weak compare to the 2213 but that makes it good for people with shrimp tanks.

With regards to the debris flowing pass the divider and back into the tank, dont have much problems with that tanks to the use of the sponges and biohome and rings.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Did you add a fine or a coarse sponge? I used the fine one. My colleague used both
    Yup, I added a fine sponge(the white ones that you can buy in large sheets). That was the first thing I did when I got my filter. This sponge is the first thing the water comes into contact with in my filter. I've found changing it once a month to help a little.
    I've had my filter since some time in the middle of last year. It does still get clogged pretty fast.
    Call me Brian.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Czech_Republic
    Useful comments, thanks to all contributors. You've answered everything I need

If anyone else has some experience with EDEN 501, please add your comments. Thanks once again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Would any users of the Eheim double-tap care to post a couple of pics on how you attach them to the Eden? Thanks!
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by coryfav
    Would any users of the Eheim double-tap care to post a couple of pics on how you attach them to the Eden? Thanks!
    Fav,

Same way you use your double taps on your Eheim filters. Not quote convenient if you have the hang on bracket, but for longer connections, it's the same.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I still haven't use mine yet. Quite busy having 2 colleague from work in setting up their 1st planted tank. I wonder when will I get to the 3rd Eden 501.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG
    I still haven't use mine yet. Quite busy having 2 colleague from work in setting up their 1st planted tank. I wonder when will I get to the 3rd Eden 501.
    sell me sell me!!!!
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kray
    I have installed one set recently. Here's some of my comments, I am sure others could provide more constructive comments on this.

Easy to install, looks good, no need to prime, quiet... very happy with it

This is designed for small tanks (I am currently using it for a 2ft apisto tank). I don't have the spects with me now, but I doubt it would be efficient for bigger tanks. I have heard some are using it for 1 ft cube tank as well.

Simple. No problem at all.

Have not done any maintenance as I've just installed it 2 weeks ago. But I don't think there will be any issue. I suppose if you need to do a thorough cleaning, you will need to take care of water following out of the tank if you detach the filter from the tubes - no ehiem-style tap to prevent water from following out.

Quiet! There will be noise for first few minutes. Once the filter drives out all the residual air, it will be silent.

The recommendation from the manufacturer is to keep the filter at the same level as the tank, and the tubes provided are not too long either. I am using it for the top tank of my two-tier setup, and I need to rest the filter on a table just next to the tank. There is a clip for attaching the filter to the side of the tank - but this is not provided in the package that I bought, i.e. need to purchase separately.

Overall, I am happy with it and look forward to setup my 2nd set soon.

Have you try placing the filter below the tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nope.... didn't get extra tubing, taps etc to do that. Anyway my intention is to hang it at the edge of the tank, when I manage to get hold of the clips.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Czech_Republic
    One more question, how much is EDEN501 in your country? Note your currency, please

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by V31
    One more question, how much is EDEN501 in your country? Note your currency, please
    About US$35 each, without the bracket.

Cheers,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast