Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Cichlids are curious

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Beauty World
    Posts
    7,114
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    789
    Country
    Singapore

    Cichlids are curious

    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Advertise here

    Advertise here
    Hi guys,


    I think this picture just shows it well. These little fellas are really full of character and never a dull moment to watch!

    Anyone with any interesting cichlid interaction stories to share?

    Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    4,020
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    552
    Country
    Singapore
    I have an 8" Oscar keeping a goldfish as a pet. It did not eat that goldfish and allow it to grow to quite a big fish...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

    I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

    Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Beauty World
    Posts
    7,114
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    789
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    I have an 8" Oscar keeping a goldfish as a pet. It did not eat that goldfish and allow it to grow to quite a big fish...
    Jeez... your pet kept a pet?

    Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    4,020
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    552
    Country
    Singapore
    Oops, should be, I HAD...'

    Yupz, it kept a pet for itself... I still a pic of the Oscar with its pet... But no softcopy to show... Unless I find a scanner...

    Cichlids have such interesting behaviours!...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

    I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

    Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    manchester, england
    Posts
    619
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    77
    Country
    England
    heres one for you , a young female adoketa had full breeding pattern and took over a corner of the tank exept for a male ancistrus that the female kept there, the ancistrus has a spotted pattern and the female thought they were eggs and would not let that ancistrus move out of the corner until i took her out, she's in another tank with a male now.
    mick

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    620
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    14
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mickthefish
    heres one for you , a young female adoketa had full breeding pattern and took over a corner of the tank exept for a male ancistrus that the female kept there, the ancistrus has a spotted pattern and the female thought they were eggs and would not let that ancistrus move out of the corner until i took her out, she's in another tank with a male now.
    mick
    .. post-natal blues i guess?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Beauty World
    Posts
    7,114
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    789
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mickthefish
    heres one for you , a young female adoketa had full breeding pattern and took over a corner of the tank exept for a male ancistrus that the female kept there, the ancistrus has a spotted pattern and the female thought they were eggs and would not let that ancistrus move out of the corner until i took her out, she's in another tank with a male now.
    mick
    Mick,

    I think this is a case of severe bad eye sight rather than unique cichlid behaviour!

    But it's really funny! Can't imagine the small little fella chasing it's 'moving eggs' back to it's corner.

    Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    manchester, england
    Posts
    619
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    77
    Country
    England
    you should start getting worried, it's going to be your fish soon, haha,
    so far theres one definite pair formed and a lot of males challenging for dominance.
    mick

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,923
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    375
    Country
    Japan
    Benny,
    Thats a nice pic... wonderful eyes.. i love it..

    If only women had eyes like that..

    i would say something if only my thread would stop getting deleted as it IS ABOUT the TOPIC!!
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 17th Feb 2006 at 22:18.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Western Singapore
    Posts
    3,563
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    231
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    Benny,
    Thats a nice pic... wonderful eyes.. i love it..

    If only women had eyes like that..

    i would say something if only my thread would stop getting deleted as it IS ABOUT the TOPIC!!
    Thread that are not related or too RA will be deleted

    You are under close watch Ramma Tin..

    Just kidding.. don't whack me tomorrow in mike's van
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 17th Feb 2006 at 23:34.
    Nicholas

    Newbie en el cichlid enano

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Beauty World
    Posts
    7,114
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    789
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    Benny,
    Thats a nice pic... wonderful eyes.. i love it..

    If only women had eyes like that..

    i would say something if only my thread would stop getting deleted as it IS ABOUT the TOPIC!!
    No wonder! I keep trying to reply to the thread I thought I saw.

    Yes. This particular one has rather soulful looking eyes. And no, I will freak out if my wife's eyes were like these and without eyelids. I like my wife's eyes just the way they are now thank you.

    Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,923
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    375
    Country
    Japan
    err..how is talking about eyes RA ah??
    Anyway...just so i dont go OT and kena labeled chitchat again..

    what species is this, benny? i very newbie when comes to apisto..lol
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 18th Feb 2006 at 00:47.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Beauty World
    Posts
    7,114
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    789
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... anyone can guess the species from the frontal shot? Not easy at all.

    By the way, here's another cichlid tale.

    I had an Apistogramma cacatuoides "Super Red" from Benetay. This weird fella is a beauty in my opinion, fairly matured and all the dorsal, anal and caudal fins were red. Big mouth. It was fairly comfortable in the tank and was more or less the king of the tank with only the SAE being bigger than him. Whilst he would parade all over the tank and flare at the others in the tank, he would not let me take a picture of him. The minute the camera comes out, he's gone!! And he stayed gone till you keep the camera. Have tried to ambush him to no avail, and to date, I have only 1 picture of him with no second chance for another shot. I can't remember, but I think I might have shown this crazy fella to some of the folks here on the forum when they were over at my place.

    Incidentally, I also had an Apistogramma trifasciatus that seems to be posing for every shot that I took. It practically flared all the time. However, I don't think this was due to a unique cichlid behaviour, but rather very bad eyesight and hence the agression towards everything in sight.

    Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,778
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    3
    Country
    Singapore
    That was the past....when i had quite a few to spare around...
    Last edited by benetay; 18th Feb 2006 at 10:29.
    Cheers!

    Benetay

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Beauty World
    Posts
    7,114
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    789
    Country
    Singapore
    So.. anyone else have any interesting cichlid tales to share recently?

    Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Posts
    2,603
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    351
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's my peek-a-boo pic.



    I once observed my sneaker male bitaeniata trying to court the neighbouring male bitaeniata. Displaying the courting excitement, even trying to invite the male into the ceramic pot.
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •