Country
    Singapore

Another Cichlid Enthusiast....

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everybody,
    This is my first post here. I also collects mainly species cichlids. A list of my stocks can be found at my web-site (partially completed). I have taken pics of some of my cichlids have also been uploaded to the gallery at Arofanatics. Both sites are given in my signature below. Do take a look if you have the time and feel free to give your comments, if any. Thanks.
    Shop Address:
    Cichlids Forever
    1024, Upper Serangoon Road
    Singapore 534762

Web-Site: http://www.cichlidsforever.com
    email: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can you post your web again,don't seems to work.cheers

Your gallery is awesome man, hope i can have 1 like yours. Like to ask some questions from you. What filtration u using for the 6 footer? What food you use to feed them? And what are the sizes of those cichlids?

Feedback Score
    hi there dovii, welcome to AQ

ur 6' tank is wonderful man!! i bet a lot of the members here do no get to get this often, usually for a BIG cichlid keeper as urself.

where did u get the cichlid manaconda??

any chance of popping by ur place to take a look at the awesome tank??????? []
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    just curious ... how much food do u have to feed to keep everyone happy in that tank ??? and how many fish in total??
    To each her own fish !
    petfrd

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wah, you should show your tank to all those who think luohan is the pinnacle of cichlid evolution.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all the encouraging words.

I posted in most of the aquarium sites in Singapore because I wanted to revive the interest in natural breeds of cichlids, that there is a world beyond the hello kitty syndrome of Lohan fanatic here. I have nothing against Lohan, but I find that all the fish shop here is selling this fish to the extend that everyshop is selling only this fish and nothing else. Quite sick after a while, all the ridiculus price. Saw even respectably big shops selling Cubans and Polleni as lohan and at ridiculas price.I think people should not do that. Avid aquarist support their livelihood, the lest is not to misled them and koto them.

Fish keeping is not only looking for numbers on the body or hoping that the fish will bring you luck. If squatting there and looking for all that makes you happy, that is good.

But there is something else about cichlids- you can simulate a Malawi rift lake in your home, stock up on the flocks of grazing pseudothrophues, or imagine the tactics employed by their natural predators to catch them- all in your home. It is like the wilderness of Africa, or the black waters of Amazon, all in your humble little home. That is really something people are missing out. Lohan is a hybrid. It is nice, but it does not carry with it the evolutionary intricacy in it's make up.

So here I am, trying to gather a group of pure breed cichlid people.

Also , I am able to collect quite difficult to get cichlids, I can sell you at a cheaper price than most shops, so if you see any you like in a shop,and the shop owner turn his nose up at you, you may wish you can check with me the cost, and see if I can sell you at a lower price.

My fish list is in my website, most cannot be obtain here. But since I am not a seller, I only have one or two pieces. However, some of the fishes breed and I have lots of fries for some species.
    Answer to your questions-
    1. Manaconda is a cross between a Festae and a Managuense (Jaguar). This is not a natural breed. The specimen you see is a real stunner, so I bought it. I have another two, more green spots, but not so yellow.

2.I tried many filters, but it does not work well for a tank like that. The waste is too high.
    I have two E-hiem filters, one is a high capacity filter for ponds. Then I added another two Furval internal filter to remove waste and these I wash weekly. The external filters I wash about once in two months. To cut down ammonia and nitrates, I syphon out about one third of the top layers of water twice a week. Now I add in a little Geo liquid for hybrid discus to clear the water. My tank water is crytal clear at all times.

3. I fed my fish twice a day. Central Americans are ok if once a day, but Africans will kill if only once a day. OK, food is so expensive here. But I tried to rotate. I use to feed Lohan food as the good ones does not disintegrate in water. But I get some very cheap ones from Thailand (not laced with hormones of course). Been trying that one out and it is cheap and good. But I also feed blood worms, buy mussels and prawns etc. For the whole tank like that, two scoops will do per feeding. (I think I overfed them abit, cos they perfected the art of begging).
    How many fish I have got, never really count. But probably two hundred and fifty odd.

Seems like here are more knowledgeable and nicer people. I posted in the cichlid forum in another site overun with Lohun people. I think some Lohan sellers trying to prevent pure breed cichlids from surfacing and said my 6 feet tank look "very sad"

Sigh.
    Shop Address:
    Cichlids Forever
    Singapore 534762

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/3/2002 9:25:22 AM

can you post your web again,don't seems to work.cheers
    ----------------
    Sorry. My mistake. The URLs in the signature have been amended and should work now.
    Shop Address:
    Cichlids Forever
    Singapore 534762

Feedback Score
    dovill u got pm.
    LH is the power to the dark side.LH leads to fear.Fear leads to anger.Anger leads to hate.Hate leads to suffering.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Will sent you the map...later
    Shop Address:
    Cichlids Forever
    Singapore 534762

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wowwee! Magnificent! LH, eat ur hearts out!

As for the Manaconda, is that aquarium bred? Hopefully, it won't fall into another LH/hybrid cichlid mania! The synspilus is gorgeous and adorable

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Manaconda is also a cross, festae and jaguar.
    No ,it won't go the Lohun way, cos the really gorgeous only, the yellow fellow is extraordinary. They will show that colour only in big tanks and lots of fighting. They always win fights. My other two are , well, nice, but not quite there yet.

The fire head also cutie pie. Very steady fish. Now at the shop. Poor dear not so happy because now small tank and no sub-dominant male to bully.

Thanks
    Shop Address:
    Cichlids Forever
    Singapore 534762

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to the board.

those fish are really beautiful
    I am looking forward to see more pictures and posts of you here!

I am extremely curious abt the "manaconda"..
    Actually i saw your post in arofanatics before. That particular looks like a colour-edited Festae...It is a classic festae female that looks yellow.In fact i thought that is just a festae...with yellow i am not aware of.

just 2 questions
    (1) 100% Confirm have mana blood? (sorry dont take offense but i am really baffled)
    (2) where you got it from ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dovii and Hali, what are your opinions of the "cichlid group" proposed ? will you ppl be supportive too?

if so, just add on to the thread
    "cichlid lovers, real action? "
    we can have a lot of ppl out there, but we will not go anywhere if ppl are all staying at the sideline. We need diverse voices and Pictures!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems like here are more knowledgeable and nicer people. I posted in the cichlid forum in another site overun with Lohun people. I think some Lohan sellers trying to prevent pure breed cichlids from surfacing and said my 6 feet tank look "very sad"
    ----------------------------------------------------

Pardon me if the rest dont feel the way i do.
    No doubt your fish are really nice, but i personally agree with the other person over at the other forum who posted that.
    Because for the same reason as him, i feel your tank is pretty overcrowded.
    Would be great if you could seperate and house them in more tanks [:]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    dovii i read what happened at Arofanatics.

Yes your pics do look fake at first glance because the fish all look so stationary. But you had some close ups of the pics, i think that will be quite impossible to fake..

But thats besides the point and i dont believe we shouldnt be looking at all that, since you had posted it.

May i know your tank capacity?
    the fish size are all not full grown right? 8-10"
    ?

and art...talking abt having the best of both worlds..
    there is always a constant clash when it comes to this...
    put 6 large fish in a 5ft they will not fight. But just 2 inside the same size tank, they may just fight to the death.

Very often , with large CAs, it is an "all or nothing" approach. Either supercrowd them , or have to provide them with a huge amount of space not readily substainable by the home keeper..
    a case of a single large fish in a 5ft and 6-8 of them in same size tank. It is really hard to get an in between.

we cannot afford to have a 4ft per fish..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The reason why they all looked so stationary is very simple. I only posted the best photos that I had taken. Who wants to post blurry photos of their beloved fishes if they could help it? We all know how difficult it is to take sharp and well-focused photos of fishes. For every photo posted, there are at least 5 to 10 that have to be discarded because they are out of focus or just don't show up the fishes well. Those 11 photos actually represented hours of hard work and frustration in photo-taking. If people had actually looked at all the other photos in the gallery carefully, they would have seen that there really were other fishes in the background of each of the 'main attractions'. Who have the time or the expertise at faking photos to this extent? I certainly don't !

I also get the impression that some people think that the width of the photo of my 6 ft tank is really the width of the tank. Nothing could be further from the truth. It only represented about half the width or 3 ft or so and the photo was cropped for effect. All the fishes were shoaling in front of the camera during the photo session. I really wasn't kidding when I said that they looked like they were jostling to get their photos taken.

Sometimes people can really over-exaggerate. The same guy said in the Arofanatics forum that he doubted that the fishes could swim from one end of the tank to the other ! Oh come on! Anyone looking at the photo of the tank could see that some of the fishes were swimming so fast across the width of the tank that they were a blur in the photo !

Ultimately, as they say, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating". I don't feel that I need to prove to anybody that I'm not ill-treating my fishes. People who keep cichlids should know that space-challenged, stressed, and unhappy cichlids would never look that colorful and healthy and active. They would most likely be dull and faded, hiding, tattered and torn and sickly from the stress and wounds inflicted from all the fighting for territory. I mean just because a person can't find the right mix of cichlids to keep in a tank harmoniously doesn't mean that it can't be done by anybody else.

By the way, since you asked, the tank is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft and yes, most of the fishes weren't fully grown. They are not juveniles but they are not fully grown either.
    Shop Address:
    Cichlids Forever
    Singapore 534762

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah they do look "too nice" thats why ppl who dont look further will doubt you. But on close it is very clear those are real.

actually i dont see anything wrong with your setup..and anyway i can see they are doing well and healthy.And anyway, cichlids do look larger than they are in pictures.

so relax, let down your defenses and lets just fish-talk
    nobody is accusing you of anything here...at least

oh can you also scroll higher ..had posted some questions for you actually...esp abt the red terror hybrid...i am very interested in its origin..

i will drop by the shop definitely

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry, ISZ,

Out of action for awhile, cos a shipment of Discus just arrived and helping friend out. Also some new vitaminised blood worms and blood worm with garlic plus artemia arrived from Hongkong.

Oh, and a cichlid club, count me in, count me in, support you all the way.

Pictures, no problem, been taking them too, put up my webpage in a hurry, so steal some picture. Now, replacing those with real shots of my fishes.Just tell me what you need and where to put them. Will do it to support you.

And I am here to stay, and make sure real cichlids rule.

There are always people like those that speak as if they knew everything around (crowded no good, crowded wrong). I decided, I have got better things to do then replying that. Oh please, I managed 250 to 300 fishes alone,people keep dogs, I keep pitbulls, people keep terrapins, I have a room of 30 snakes plus one anaconda (yah, 6 feet mean machine). I have also kept leopard cats, nine band civits, ferrets etc while overseas, So these people's knowledge are peanuts compare to me. However, I consider myself a newbie to cichlids, as there are endless things to learnt and learning is a journey that never ends.

I will be posting every week afew new cichlid species information that I have. Plus recently taken pictures of that fish.

Also hope people could read on my pet loiselle cichlid's rescue. A case where clear, clean, and big tank is not necessary right for every case.I will be posting soon.

I hope I can contribute.

As for the Manaconda. I notice, it consistantly has a red terror head. The body pattern and colour is actually that of a yellow jaguar. I have seen this colour morph of the managuanse once in Fish keeping magazine and in life in BKK. Only that particular manaconda is so bright in yellow, I suppose not only people are attracted, fishes too you know. She is definitely female, and I have got to remove a male festae, two jaguars from the tank cos each time they see her, they went into the breeding mode. But I think she not fertile.

Please PM me to tell me the fish you want, I will get it for you at cost price. I am going fish importing trip next month or august.

Cheers and thank you pal.
    Shop Address:
    Cichlids Forever
    Singapore 534762

Feedback Score
    ya overcrowding is a go way loh cos tis is what i been doing all along.so far so gd.

rgds
    LH is the power to the dark side.LH leads to fear.Fear leads to anger.Anger leads to hate.Hate leads to suffering.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast