Images
    Country
    Singapore

ID: Cigar fish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Took this at Gan's. What exactly is this fish? Apparently plant safe, but had read that these fish are plant eaters... Any comments? They look gorgeous...

Last edited by Justikanz; 20th Feb 2006 at 01:56. Reason: Edit location of fish
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Commonly known as the cigar fish, but there are a few similar looking specimens that can be quite confusing.

Anostomus anostomus, which has red color fins and similar looking body shape and markings. Very aggresive fish.

Anostomus ternetzi, the original cigar fish, which is reputated to eat BBA. This species have clear colored fins the back portion on the dorsal ridge is solid black in color, without any fine yellow dots.

Anostomus sp. which has orangy dorsal, ventral and anal fins, but clear caudal fins with a tinge of orange at the caudal peduncle area. This species has spotted yellow dots on the top most black bar when matured. This is the one in your picture. When young, this is often very difficult to tell apart from Anostomus ternetzi

By the way, these fishes has to be kept in groups. Fin nippers and swim like torpedos.

Here's a picture by Koah Fong from our gallery.

I suspect this should be Anostomus sp. instead of Anostomus anostomus due to the red markings on the caudal fins.

Anostomus anostomus image from www.amtra.de

Cheers,

p.s. I think these fishes are from Gan's fish farm.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yupz, edited the location. I am Soooo tempted to get a few... But my tank grossly over populated. In your opinion, would 4-5 of them do good with Tiger barbs and Harlequins? Hmm... But still need to wait for my other fish to decide to kick their buckets first...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well...they grow up to 18 cm for certain species. If you have space, then they are fine.

By the way, they are extremely shy, especially when you have plenty of hiding space in your tank.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have one Anostomus sp. in my tank!

Very interesting fish indeed, unlike other fishes, its mouth is on top, so it has to turn upside down whenever its trying to eat the micropellets on the substrate... which is hilarous.

oh yes, swims like a torpedo and loves to nip.

i think a hiding place, preferably a cave-like structure, is definitely a must for it to feel comfy. My driftwood has a spacious cavity and it loves to hide in there most of the time, except when it feels bored and decides to bully the tetras...
    Who made up all these rules?
    We follow 'em like fools.
    Believe 'em to be true.
    Don't care to think 'em through.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I got 1 too! It loves to hide under a driftwood! I believe they clear algae too! I see them nibbling around driftwoods and leaves of plants! They tend to bully tetras too! I found one way to prevent this is getting a school of tetras! If the tetras are swimming together, Mr Cigar will not attempt to nip any fins but sometimes do target tetras that stray from their school! Heehee overall a very interesting fish to have in your tank!