Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justikanz's vivarium project... :)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Justikanz's vivarium project... :)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

Heh heh... The base and background of this tank is Wild Ginger's work. I am getting emersed plants from Teo's for this tank. Will slowly plant... The tank will be lit by 3x24W T5HO. After I get an electrician to settle my powerpoint problem...

Also need to get wire mesh and acrylic pieces as the tank's covers. This temporary acrylic cover has warped badly and there are big gaps now that frogs can escape...

I intend to increase the water level and have newts, gobies, paros and maybe bettas as well as some frogs...

Btw, can paros and Betta splendens be ok together?

Oh, do you think there is a need for a small weak fan installed?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    wait a minute...the tank sits on a chair???? point load leh..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Temporary only. I am getting a second chair to balance soon. After that will be buying a cabinet or table... This location also makes it a very photography subject...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I thought you were complaining about too much tanks...giving away hermits..blah,blah....so that's what you have been busy with, don't have to explain..
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am consolidating the tanks... This one will be a consolidation of 3 tanks!... Easier to manage mah... But the act of getting the tank ready is a headache!!... Now I have to device a way to evict the paddletails living inside this tank!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Aiyah..already said don't have to explain mah. KeKe..me thinking also to set up 1 just for fun...
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think just paros will be nice for this tank ...
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Miao, I have no choice... I am consolidating the tanks, including the goby tank... In that case, I might want to sacrifice the paros for the bettas. The bettas had been with me longer... You want the paros? I have 3 now... Bought from Eco like 2 weeks ago.

Any ideas on how to evict the 2 paddletails inside now? They had found caves to hide now...

And where to find fine wire mesh? I need them more fine than the BBQ ones...
    Last edited by Fei Miao; 20th Feb 2006 at 11:35.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes! that'll be great, my son just asked me to set-up up a black water theme paludarium in his room, let me know when to pick the fish up.
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ring me up to see if I can get home earlier today, if you want to pick up from my place... Need to catch the fish first... With the stuff for the 2 new tanks cluttering the room, I would need more time to catch them...

If you want to pick up other locations, sms me and we discuss.

Back on track, anyone knows where to find coco husks or big pieces of peat? I wanna use them as substrate... The old substrate will surely not withstand the higher water level...

Will air plants survive in such humid conditions? Thinking of using them on the styrofoam wall on the right...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry silly question, for vivariums how do u keep the water clean? freq water change or u use filters?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This is Wild Ginger's design. He has a compartment at the back (right side) where I can insert a sponge as a filter medium. But I think I will not change water...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Update:

The guppies did not do well... Only 1 out of 6 survived...

But the other inhabitants, 2 Garra fluvata, 2 Betta splendens, 3 red-finned gobies looked fine...

I am going to place a CFB newt (a sole survivor), a common local frog (rescued from a bag of feeders) and some fresh water blennies (adopted from Alfa) in it soon, after the plants and water had settled down...

The right side is supposed to be where downoi is planted... but they are not doing well. I have no idea... But the crypts are doing good. Does anybody has any suggestion to replace the downoi? Something grass like and remaining short would be good...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Downoi seems to melt when they try to adapt to new environment...
    Give it some time to melt and hopefully new shoots will appear...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Strange that the crypts can make it but the emersed downoi melted... Stupid downoi...

I will give them some more time and see if they will re-grow back. If not, I am thinking of getting emersed tenellus or hairgrass.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    erm... thomas the scape looks a bit... jumbled. That and wipe the glass before you shoot! *smack

Anyway, good luck with the fauna. And tell the newt i said hi

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... A clearer view...

Plants are almost all emmersed aquatic plants, including but not restricting to the following:

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green', C.wendtii 'tropica', C.walkeri, C.nurii, C.parva, Baclaya longifolia, Hydrocotyle sp., Hygrophila corymbosa var, Glossostigma elatinoides, Echinodoras tenellus, Bacopa sp., Rotala sp., Marsilea sp., Pogostemon helferi, Eleocharis acicularis, Hemianthus micranthemoides (or maybe it is HC... cannot differentiate their emersed form, growing some submersed to try), java moss and java fern with some terrestrial moss...

Fauna includes: 2 x Betta splendens, 2 x Garra fluvata (sp.?), 2 x Poecilia reticulata, 2 x red-finned goby and 2 x fresh water blenny which had been hiding since day 1 and I am not sure if they had died... There are also some snails in the tank...

Future inhabitants, after the plants all settled down and rooted, include frogs and newts...

Some of the plants...

Terrestrial Moss, HWChoy moss at the left bottom corner...

Java moss, emersed.

Glosso emersed, with flowers, among parva...

Hygrophila, bacopa and an unknown plant (left side). Anyone can ID it?

Wendtii green and rotala (with purple flowers)?...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Left plant looks like some sort of Ludwigia. BTW, nice setup.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Definately agree with were you put the HWchoy moss. It's just perfect. Lol, can't believe long i've been starting at that spot.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz

Heh heh... The base and background of this tank is Wild Ginger's work. I am getting emersed plants from Teo's for this tank. Will slowly plant... The tank will be lit by 3x24W T5HO. After I get an electrician to settle my powerpoint problem...

Also need to get wire mesh and acrylic pieces as the tank's covers. This temporary acrylic cover has warped badly and there are big gaps now that frogs can escape...

I intend to increase the water level and have newts, gobies, paros and maybe bettas as well as some frogs...

Btw, can paros and Betta splendens be ok together?

Oh, do you think there is a need for a small weak fan installed?
    I see the base of the tank is just a chair, so dangerous!
    It's not just "Step1: Add Water, Step2: Add Fish" If everything else don't work, add plastic plants and fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast