Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cichla temensis (Peacock Bass)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I got two jurvenile of these beautiful fish from a Katong LFS. They are the biggest of the cichlid's family, growing up to 3ft and are extremely aggressive. []

Does anyone keep any of these fish too?

I saw small jurveniles and caught some big adults at our one of the local reservior many years back before I started this aquarium hobby.
    Work Whenever, Fish Forever.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually from my experience they are not aggressive for cichlid standards.

their behaviour are also not very cichlid-like. They are more like pikes....hover a lot.

they are powerful predators...but towards other fish they cannot swallow they are quite ok and sometimes get bullied too

keep us updated of these beauties!

Feedback Score
    where u get it?price and size?

tks
    rgds
    LH is the power to the dark side.LH leads to fear.Fear leads to anger.Anger leads to hate.Hate leads to suffering.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England

Seem to change colour a lot...

Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    From what I can see, I think all the three pics are different species. You can check it out at http://www.peacock-bass.com/peacock.htm

I got them from "New Katong Aquarium" (I think...not sure of the name), its at the staircase leading to the basement of Roxy Square

They are quite hard to come by, so far I have not seen any other LFS carring them[]

What do you guys take the pics of your fishes with? Digital camera? I am trying to get some of my pics up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    They are hard to comeby here, cos they are not well, popular. I like them 2, got a 2.5 feet fellow, but my dog chew off the air supply and the thing died.They are cheap fish for their size. Of the three sub-species, only one reaches three feet. The other two are much smaller.

I don't particularly like to keep them cos it is hard to get them to eat dry food. I don't like to feed feeder fish to cichlids. If you got one that eats dry pellets, you've got a winner here.
    Shop Address:
    Cichlids Forever
    1024, Upper Serangoon Road
    Singapore 534762

Web-Site: http://www.cichlidsforever.com
    email: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yah, I trained them to whack anything I throw in. Had a school of jurvenile blue jewels but they died one after the other, so I use them for bass food. The buggers like them so much that they dash at it at lightning speed once the dead fish hits the water surface, so fast that I didn't even had the chance to see the carcass sink [:0]

They recognise me after the 1st day...pretty smart. They got a real big mouth, almost as big as their heads when they yawn, else they are too fast to be seen opened. Maybe b'cos of the LH trend, I like to buy fishes that are more rare. Still hope to find some more exotic or rare to come by species.

In the midst of setting up my two 4ft tanks, hope to be able to keep more cichlids []

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the peacock bass will be too big for your 4ft too

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll keep them for now until they really outgrow my tanks...then maybe I'll have them for dinner Maybe just sell them to a local breeder for them to breed so that we can have more in the LFSs' []