Country
    Singapore

CO2 reactor and BBA (??)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

Recently, I'm starting to have black mouldy stuff growing along the edges of my java ferns and other plants as well. I've only about 10 small fishes in the tank so feeding and waste are limited. Plants like glosso, ludwigia and blyyxa are doing well except that i have balls of algae growing among the glosso. What causes this algae bloom ?? I had my tank for at least 1/2 a yr by now. The filter medium also looks clean. But the CO2 reactor looks dirty inside and I've never cleaned it since I got it more than 2 months ago. could this be the cause as i've seen people mentioning dirty filter as the cause for algae bloom ? how to rid of them ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you'll find a million ways to clear algae
    one of the more tiresome but effective ways is to cut off all the affected leaves, and do frequent water changes

others also recommend blackouts, nutrient control

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    add more plants then remove them after u clear the algae.. my 4ft is finally free from BBA[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    DEA is right, cut away all the infected parts, as much as you can. Then nutrient control, plus algae army (yamato shrimp, 3-lined and dwarf pencilfish, SAE).

make sure to get the right SAE (too many flying foxes around, and don't trust what the LFS guy tells you), Chan from Nature has nice young ones which is supposedly best for the job. He has cheap yamatoes as well. As for pencilfish, I haven't seen any dwarf and 3-lined around LFS, got my dwarf from Gan earlier in the year. Can also try young molly and platies.

AND MAKE SURE DO NOT OVERFEED!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon, congrats! [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    now, the amount of plants I have in my 4ft is just right for the heavy feeding of my fishes

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks guys.

My java ferns are infected at the tip. Can I simply just cut the tip away or the entire leaf ? Btw, will java fern propagate by themselves ... ie by "crawling" on the driftwood ?

Also, i have those broken sipder web looking stuff. I simply rolled them up with a stick and pull them off. Wonder where they came from ... never had them before.

Blackout method - completely blackout (no aquairum lights) ? and for how many days ? I imagine the other plants will suffer as well ? Thks.

Will try and do 1/3 weekly water change.

Cheers,
    Peter

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hey Peter .... same here have those weird sipder wed like and quite long too if you put it??? they are now floating witht the riccia that you give me??? has been there for a month....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    blackout method dun work for BBA.. so no point trying..

as for the web like thingy, anyone got a shot of it??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon is right about BBA not dependent on lights. So blackout method does not help a all. Manually removing them is the best way you can clear it.

FYI,
    Blackout method - Totally no lighting, no aquarium lights, no external lights. That means get something to cover all sides of your tank. Oh yeah, don't forget to aerate the water.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah ... had them recently as well ... dun know what one forumer was talking about until i saw it myself in the tank. strange stuff. must be some sort of algae .... anyway, will try to adopt SOP fpr algae control ... water change, reduce food, stop fertilizers, more plants.