Images
    Country
    Singapore

Apisto related question.. come in Apisto fans

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I got a new hongsloi male from H20.. jus yesterday, this male started showing some weird vertical bars.. I was thinking of the same stress bars on discus.. anyone knows anything abt it?

I have finally add my A. tri to my 6ft... he is too aggressive in the small 1ft and murdered 2 females.. so now, I have intro 2 new females and him... so far, signs of courtship is showing...

my mamore red is breeding..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Is A. tri that violent? I find that some apistos are pretty docile except after the female had spawned.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Is A. tri that violent? I find that some apistos are pretty docile except after the female had spawned.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my tri male is diff now that he is in the bigger tank.. he get chase ard by the agassizii 'alenquer'.. something for a change even the agassizii females r bigger than him.. I'm planning to catch the alenquer out soon.. leaving only my tefe and my tri in there to breed

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/5/2002 12:05:14 AM

I got a new hongsloi male from H20.. jus yesterday, this male started showing some weird vertical bars.. I was thinking of the same stress bars on discus.. anyone knows anything abt it?

Simon,yr hongsloi is still young lah.

I have finally add my A. tri to my 6ft... he is too aggressive in the small 1ft and murdered 2 females.. so now, I have intro 2 new females and him... so far, signs of courtship is showing...

aah..Still as chio as before....choose more chio female,more pretty one lah.

----------------
    When my fishes are happy, I'm happy.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah, I especially like my tri... my mom oso enjoy watching him.. but I have to remove the alenquer male.. coz he is chasing the tri ard..

as for the hongsloi, i have to agree with benny over the stressed thingy.. I think he might be too stressed.. especially when both females r larger than him, but from what i see, he is in control

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------

----------------
    Simon,

Sorry for my ignorance... what are the signs of courtship ???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    both male and female doing the apisto dance[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    difficult to say here....
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/5/2002 6:33:15 PM

difficult to say here....
    ----------------
    what u mean?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There are more to dancing to see if they are going to spawn, actually just by looking at the fish and their way of swimming you can see if they are ready to spawn.

There are many tell tale sign when they ara ready. Maybe you can provide more information on the fish and i'll tell u more.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the female is still trying to find a good spot, 2 agassizii tefe female is oredi super yellow and they have found 2 spots.. the tri female is in the middle of the 2, which I'm worried.. go c the pic I post

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/5/2002 11:15:03 PM

There are more to dancing to see if they are going to spawn, actually just by looking at the fish and their way of swimming you can see if they are ready to spawn.

There are many tell tale sign when they ara ready. Maybe you can provide more information on the fish and i'll tell u more.
    ----------------
    Dancing?? that means the male and female swim round and round??

Will all the apisto female be yellow when they are hot??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    gerald, not to that extent.. the female will be defintely yellow (sign of breeding mood) she will first find a spot to spawn, then she will flirt with the male by showing her belly to the male.. once she lays the eggs, she will try to lure the male to fertilize the eggs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bene, Simon may I ask why the eli is ex? Anyone of u breeding them? Also, any apisto related books that I can get?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Eli. are more difficult apisto to breed. they need a PH of 4.5. Books on apisto there are quite a few not bad.
    • Cichlid atlas
    • South america dwarf cichlids
    • South america Cichlids
    • Aqualog book 2.

Gchoo here is what they will do when they are going to spawn.
    Female-_-The female will be normal in colour first but the pectoral fins will have an iridicent black on it showing that the female has eggs in her body.
    When she is ready she will start to the tail whipping session for quite a few hours some can go to days.

Male-_-usually they are more or less ready to breed in apisto breeding size do counts too the male should not be too small then the female.
    Female fishes chooses their mate and the number of eggs they will lay too. The bigger the male the more the female will lay her eggs.

I've spawn different caca males to a single dominant female. The bigger the male the more eggs she laid the smaller the male the lesser she will lay. It's due to the fact that the female does not have enough security with that male.

Once they are ready, the female chooses a spawn side and starts to clean it by the means of nipping & blowing it. Later they will clean the area free of debris any gravel any tny peice of wood,java moss etc. will be remove to the far end of the tank.

This will give the eggs and fry a higher chance of survival and succuess rate cos' if the area is clean and debris-free, the eggs and fry DO NOT gets dieseas easily.

Once the pair are ready, just before the female is about to lay her eggs, you can notice a chance in her colouration from normal to golden yellow. She will start to lay her eggs while the male will fertilize the eggs after she had laid.

There are cases of which the female are much smaller then the male. The female chooses a small entry to the breeding area so small that the male can't even squeese thru(thats why women are from Venus J/k) So after the female had laid the eggs, the male will release his spawn and start fanning into the area. Such cases are rare but possible and it didin't matter at all cos in the end the eggs still hatch =)[]

My 2cts worth,cheerS!
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/6/2002 4:12:48 PM

gerald, not to that extent.. the female will be defintely yellow (sign of breeding mood) she will first find a spot to spawn, then she will flirt with the male by showing her belly to the male.. once she lays the eggs, she will try to lure the male to fertilize the eggs
    ----------------
    Sorry Simon... thought they will do the traditional indian dance...

Benetay... thanks for the info... will the presence of other fishes (tetra, rocket pencil, cory) affect the apistos from spawning??

What spots do these females usually choose to spawn??

Thanks guys... Sorry for my ignorance...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Tetra may snack on apisto fry if there are too many tetra, the female will not have the chance to guard all her fry at once.Cory will huant yr apisto eggs. pencil..so far don't post any tread.

Spots are those u never know where it can happen.[] usually they dun spawn and show u their eggs but rather more secrective.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    jus provide enuff hiding places, but at times, the female can find the weirdiest spot, like my candidi, her spot is on the bottom of my surface skimmer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Unless you provide them only a certain object to let them breed u'll know for sure but...if it's in a planted tank, u will relise that their choosen spawn side are actaully quite good, away from predators and good source of food.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast