Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Kribensis - Pelvicachromis pulcher

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just got myself a pair of 1" Kribensis(Pelvicachromis pulcher) from Tiong Barhu market

What are they? Cichlids? What kind of tankmates are suitable for them? I know I should keep them away from my GTs', PBs' and oscars. Can I put them into my tetra tank? But they don't look like soft-water fish to me...are they? If not then its a new tank on the way just for them []
    Work Whenever, Fish Forever.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    I believe the krib is from west Africa. Normally found in rivers. Price about $3-$5 each.
    Definitely cannot keep wif oscars. Tetras should not be a problem. They are quite timid fish so must provide hiding place. I would suggest get a least 4-5 so that they can pair off and not fight with each other if only 2. Kept them a while back. They may breed if conditions are good. Looks good in planted tank. Slow and graceful. Hiding places are a must.

Hope it goes well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Slow and peaceful? When I saw them in the LFS, they were whacking the other fishes in the same tank and quite fast. Are they hard-water or soft-water?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ezion. They're definitely softwater specimens. If you're new to dwarf cichlids, they make a nice starter. Dun worry, they're quite easy to keep and would be best if you house the pair in a 2 footer at least. BTW, the female will have her belly turn purplish red when she's ready to mate. Best thing about W. African dwarfs are the way the female 'Shakes' during courtship. Sight you'll never forget.
    ''Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds.'' Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    When you say whacking other fish you mean same species or other species? As for water condition, I'd say Singapore water.[] [] Look up the Internet for care instructions at http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/P-pulcher.html

Next time if you can, read up b4 buying the fish. If impulse purchase(I do that sometimes too! ), place the fish on it's own first and find out more on the Internet

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, I do agree with what Leec's saying. They do fine with small tetras. At the same time, the tetras could act as dither fishes. That would entice the pair to bond much faster. They're rather hardy specimens so, local water's fine. However, if you really want them to display optimal colors, try a pH of 6.5-6.8. You can achieve this by using peat or peat moss.
    ''Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds.'' Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    charles, there r a few species of kribs at H2O

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the info Simon. I guess they're probably P. taeniatas'. Saw the last batch but, wasn't so sure whether both sexes are from the same specimens. Females are difficult to tell apart cos' they look very similar.
    If they have P. taeniata 'Lokunje' or 'Nyong', dun hesitate, just grab 'em.
    Hard to come by.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kribs are actually quite fiesty esp when 2 males in the same tank. Will whack any fish that comes into its covered region.

Used to keep them too. Easy to breed and very nice coloration [:]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Kribs. hm...

Size: 3.5" max for male, female smaller.

Aggression: peacefull when not spawning. can be kept with fast tetras, danios etc. Does not tend to like bottom feeders (especially corys) when spawning.

Spawning: Kribs love to spawn in clay pots that have a small entrance chipped out for thme. stand the pot upside down, so the front face of the pot is on the ground. there should be a small enterance for the fish to be able to get in and out. When the pair decide to spawn, the male will clean the selected spawning sight, then the female will check if it is ok, then they will preform a spawning dance. The female will protect the fry, whilst the male guards the territory. Both are very good parents, though if they are young they will probably eat their first few batches. They are prolific spawners, and will spawn roughly every 4 weeks.
    At this time, they become very territorial and will claim 3/4 of the tank. i reccomend adding some danios for them to chase, this will also make the bond stronger.

Water: Kribs are from the rivers of West Africa. They prefer soft, acidic water.

Tank Decor: Bogwood is good. As are clay pots. Live plants will not be harmed.

Tankmates: When not spawning, kribs are quite peacefull. You can keep them with tetras, danios...anything that wont hurt the kribs. When they are spawning, unless you have a large tank, i will reccomend you only keep a school of danios or small tiger barbs.

Tank Size: An 18" tank is perfect for spawning and raising fry. Make sure a school of danios or tiger barbs are added though.

Feeding: Kribs will eat anything you feed them! For best colour and best offspring, i reccomend live foods.

Hope that helped some!
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/7/2002 6:56:05 PM

Thanks for the info Simon. I guess they're probably P. taeniatas'. Saw the last batch but, wasn't so sure whether both sexes are from the same specimens. Females are difficult to tell apart cos' they look very similar.
    If they have P. taeniata 'Lokunje' or 'Nyong', dun hesitate, just grab 'em.
    Hard to come by.
    ----------------
    LOL.. I dunno much abt kribs.. so dun really know what species they got.. from wat I saw, they have abt 3-4 diff species

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Pelvicachromis Pulcher male:

Female:

Mez

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    WOW!![:0] What a wonderful string of response, thanks guys

Yah, I am now setting up these fellas for the tetra tank. []

Actually, I saw bigger ones in other LFS but the two I got was smaller about 1.5" and their colours are just shouting at me wanting me to buy them [] so I fell into temptation ...pls forgive me...

Seems like there are also quite a good number of you keeping these darwfs' and apistos'[:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think K&K at Tampines has them. Initially tot they were apistos.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What is K&K? Which part of Tampines? Thanks guys for all your help [] MY kribs drove one of my ballon rams up the driftwood and the other to a corner.

I am housing them in a 2ft tank now with a group of neon tetras', a group of rumy noses', two ballon rams, two clown loaches and three sunset darwf gouramis'. Can this combination work?

I hope to put them with more of their own species once ny two 4fts' are set up.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Hi Ezion.
    If your kribs spawn, then i think they will kill the rams and the dwarf gouramis.
    I suggest you dont put lots of kribs in the 4' tank, for many reasons. First, you will end up with many krib fry. too many in the end! secondly, you will have territorial disbutes between the kribs, if more than 3 pairs are kept together. 2 pairs would be fine in a 4' tank though.
    Mez

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ezion, K&K Aquarium is located at Tampines blk 201D. From Tampines Interchange, take bus nbr 18 or 38. The fifth bus stop, after the bus turn right, u shud alight. Walk up the overhead bridge. While crossing, u shud see on ur left some tanks on display, that's where K&K is. There's another lfs behind it, ProPet.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, its that LFS. Though they have a good range of fishes, I find their fishes a bit pricey

No prob, the LFS that I always goes to has Kribs too and giving me a good price. Thanks anyway []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought another two pairs from another LFS. Went to H2O before that, they were selling them at $25 - $30, but these pairs that I got is only $2 each. Why is there such a great diff?

The first two that I got are females, same as the one in the lower pic above, they cost me only $1 each. These two new pairs are of the same with the one on the top.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe they thot the fish can pass off as LH?? Haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast