Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Water parameters for apistos

Feedback Score

Water parameters for apistos

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just wondering what water parameters (PH,KH, etc) do you guys maintain for your apistos (breeding and non breeding). There are a lot of contradicting views out there. Some say PH of 4.5 is best while others recomend 6.5.
    As our tap water is quite alkaline, how do u guys lower your PH to your ideal levels?
    There's not much info I cna find regarding water parameter for apistos.
    The PH in my 4 apistos tank range from 5.5 to 6.5 with Kh at about 2-3dgh.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    water shld be acidic.. that means below 7.. but some species can tolerent above 7... u may wanna use indian almond leave/peat/blackwater extract to achieve lower ph.. for me, water straight from the tap is at 6.8

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    This method was imparted by a friend of mine who has benn keeping fishes for quite a long time.

To make the water acidic, one way you can try is use "BOH" tea bags or green tea bags cos' tea are suppose to be acidic. Just make a cup of tea with it and pour it into your tank, your tank should be about 5.8pH to 6pH.

I use tried this method for tetra tank and they are doing very well.
    Work Whenever, Fish Forever.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    keeping apisto just for viewing purposes, PH Kh Gh are not really needed, apisto can tolerate water with Ph7 + or - while Kh and Gh are not important.

Breeding apisto: WHich species are you refering about, it varies species to species. i can try to tell you more if you will like to provide more infor on yr fishes.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Hi Benetay,
    appreciate if you could provide me with information on the conditions for breeding panduros.
    Thks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    panduro, hmm...they are now name as a.pandurini. They are classified under nijsenni family. They are the bad guys of the apisto group, they're are really fierce, furious and dangerous.

I got one pair of pandurini myself, had 2 spawn up till date. 2 of them are unsuccesful, one of the spawn was okay but the fry was eaten up that was when i came back from HK.

Their requirments are not difficult to manage. There are a few tricks in which u can induce them to spawn rather then u play around with the water parameters.

Firstly a 10%WC every 3 days will be good. Feed them live food(no tubliflex).
    Give them enough hiding space and a tank of their own. I spawn them in a 1ft tank with the female inside alone until she is ready.

usually after the male had did his job of fertiling the eggs, i will pull the male out the next day(pulling out the male on that very day they spawn may result in stress of the female and eaten of eggs.)

Pandurini will kill off any smaller tank mate if present. Even when the female is not ready to spawn , the male will attack the female till she is dead and vise versa.

When i want my fish to spawn i don't put them together and let them breed alone usually i will put the male in a holding tank with other fishes in it and the female in the breeding tank.After 12 days or so when the female is ready by her colouration on her pectoral fin, i will then introduce the male to her,usually after a few days(less then a wk) the pair will spawn.

all the above are done by my own method it's just a practise i find useful on my part but it doesn't mean that it may be good for you too[] one man's meat is another poison.
    PS: PH 6.4 Kh 4 GH10
    just my 2cts worth.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    according to the Dwarf cichlid book.. pandurini spawn readily at Ph 6.5 and temp of 26 degree.. but I think shldnt be a prob with higher temp

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Temp don't really matters over here in Sg cos usually the temp are quite similar to their origins. So it's inducing them to spawn. Many methods worth the try.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, didn't knew that the pandurini are that aggressive. They are currently in a 2ft tank all by themselves. Tank has got quite a lot of driftwoods and plants which provides a lot of hiding places.
    Should I leave them as it is or shud i seperate them until the female is ready to spawn? They seem to be getting along just fine at the moment.
    BTW, I got myself a pair of Borellis today. They are also now in a 2ft tank with a similar setup. Any advice on the breeding conditions for them will be much appreciated.
    My female agassizii just spawned but the eggs don't seems to be fertilised by the male cause its white. The female is very aggressive now. Even the male which is much bigger dare not go near the eggs.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    gerald, it takes time for the pair to get it right, but sometimes never... major of apisto breed readily at the same parameters.. so no special conditions unless stated in the book.. best oso to get one of those reference book []

gdluck

Feedback Score
    Simon, any particular book u recommend and where can I find it. Good idea to have a ref book as I'm totally into apistos now. Just gave away quite a lot of fish to make room for them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    one book which I quite like is the South American Dwarf Cichlids by Hans J. Mayland and Dieter Bork.. try Petmart.. I bought it there.. H2O has it too

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/8/2002 10:46:05 AM

This method was imparted by a friend of mine who has benn keeping fishes for quite a long time.

To make the water acidic, one way you can try is use "BOH" tea bags or green tea bags cos' tea are suppose to be acidic. Just make a cup of tea with it and pour it into your tank, your tank should be about 5.8pH to 6pH.

I use tried this method for tetra tank and they are doing very well.
    ----------------
    It would be better if the acidity of the water is risen slowly to stress the fish lesser. IMO, using the Indian Almond leaves should be better as the acidity would rise slower.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks