Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ignorance breeds invasives

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    As if irresponsible hobbyists are enough of a problem, some Malaysian officials are apparently happily contributing to the destruction of the country's native biodiversity.

Tilapia as an invasive species:
    http://www.issg.org/database/species...=131&fr=1&sts=

http://invasivespecies.nbii.gov/data...=131&fr=1&sts=

http://www.chinabiodiversity.com/sea...de=a0000000092

From letters to The Star newspaper:

Preserve Tasik Kenyir’s indigenous fish

I WAS overjoyed when I read the report about the efforts to rehabilitate Kelana Jaya lake and to protect indigenous fish species there, “Need to preserve our parks” (The Star, March 4).

Then, lo and behold, we read about music composer Manan Ngah proudly trumpeting about helping the Fisheries Department release 20,000 tilapia into the Tasik Kenyir in Hulu Terengganu, “Composer goes into fish business” (Sunday Star, March 5).

Tasik Kenyir is in the heartland of Terengganu’s virgin jungle which is several million years old. The indigenous flora and fauna there is as original as it gets.

The indigenous fish will not be able to withstand the onslaught of 20,000 tilapia.

Tilapia can be reared in any old mining pond. Tasik Kenyir’s indigenous fish will lose out to the tilapia and the delicate natural balance will be forever destroyed.

HOPEFUL,
    Petaling Jaya.

- - - - - - - -

Tilapia will upset eco-system of lake

I REFER to your report, “Composer goes into fish business” (Sunday Star, March 5).

As much as I admire Manan Ngah’s entrepreneurial skills, helping the Fisheries Department release 20,000 tilapia fry into Tasik Kenyir would change the eco-system of the lake forever.

The tilapia is not indigenous to our waters. Released into such a large body of water, it would breed voraciously and colonise the waters as its own.

Being of the Chiclid family, the tilapia is fierce and domineering, eating up fry of the other species while fattening up to spawn – not to mention the effects of contamination of the waters should the tilapia be infected with diseases.

This means the depletion of indigenous fish species which, at this moment, is on the brink of extinction! Fishes like the sebarau, kelah, puyu and belida are already diminishing in great numbers every day due to over-fishing, logging and pollution.

Further introduction of invasive alien species would seal their fate forever.

I appeal to Manan to reconsider his decision to use Tasik Kenyir for his commercial fish farm.

A fish farm with a man-made pond would suffice just as well and would not contribute to the further decline in population of our local fish species.

Be proud of, and nurture, our local biological assets, as once they are gone they are gone for good.

RICHARD CHUAN,
    Public Relations and Multi Media,
    Malaysian Angling Association,
    Petaling Jaya.

- - - - - - - -

Alien species will damage environment

MANAN Ngah’s act of releasing tilapia into Tasik Kenyir is potentially disastrous, “Composer goes into fish business” (Sunday Star, March 5).

The fish may be kept in cages but some may escape into the rivers and lakes. Before long we will find tilapia, which originates from the Nile, in our Taman Negara.

Introducing an alien species into our waterways will cause irreversible damage to the environment.

Native species which cannot compete with the invasive species or which cannot cope with the changes will eventually die out.

All over the world, extinction of species are caused or hastened by the intentional or unintentional introduction of alien species.

Trying to correct the mistake is next to impossible.

TANG TUCK HONG,
    Shah Alam.

- - - - - - - - - -

Composer goes into fish business

KUALA TERENGGANU: Music composer Manan Ngah is diversifying his career by starting a caged fish breeding project in Tasik Kenyir, Hulu Terengganu.

“I have not abandoned music,” he said after helping the Fisheries Department to release 20,000 tilapia fry into the lake yesterday.

Manan, however, said he no longer composed pop music but continued to create theme songs for corporations for use in advertisements and other purposes.

BUDDING ENTREPRENEUR: Manan speaking to reporters after the release of 20,000 tilapia fry into Tasik Kenyir Saturday. — Bernamapic
    A year ago, he and some friends pooled RM300,000 to set up Gabungan Saudagar Aquamarine Sdn Bhd to breed freshwater fish.

The company started off breeding fish in 10 cages and was expected to sell its first harvest in October.

Manan said all the necessary facilities to operate a fish farm were available at Tasik Kenyir, the largest man-made lake in South-East Asia.

Manan’s hit songs included Sekadar Di Pinggiran sung by Francessca Peters and Terasing and Merisik Khabar by the late Sudirman Arshad. – Bernama.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    after helping the Fisheries Department to release 20,000 tilapia fry into the lake yesterday
    Oh well, it's already done I'm just glad I won't be around when this place gets wasted.
    Last edited by benny; 11th Mar 2006 at 10:00.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    ERGH!!!! i want to Sepak (SLAP) them so they wake up... so frustrating..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Apparently any moron with the right connections can get into their wildlife department... next thing you now they'll be releasing guppies or something...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    thus all the biologist are left jobless..hahaha

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Arrgh!!! It's unbelievable!!!

I used to go there a few years ago and it's really a nice place, especially in the shallow streams.

Shame! Real shame!!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if such a decision is allowed by management, it's even more shame...or pity...
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    they are just plain S T U P I D

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So... does this make us all over-qualified? wonder what the pay's like...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by XnSdVd
    So... does this make us all over-qualified? wonder what the pay's like...
    over-qualified? you mean you are good at levitating dongles?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ah crap... that place is doomed ya
    If I were a fish, I'd BREED all Day!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    over-qualified? you mean you are good at levitating dongles?
    eh? I'm floating without my wang? what?

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Dont worry. NAture has it. Release 10,000 snakehead (toman) to balance things out.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The official reply to the letters. I really wonder if Malaysians would be really worse off foodwise without farmed tilapia.

STAR
    Opinion
    Monday March 13, 2006

Tilapia ideal as food source

I REFER to the letters,“Tilapia will upset eco-system of lake”, “Preserve Tasik Kenyir’s indigenous fish” and “Alien species will damage environment” The Star, March 9) raising concerns about the farming of tilapia in Kenyir Lake.

This followed the news about the release of 20,000 tilapia fry and the plans to start fish farming there. I would like to highlight several facts about the farming of tilapia in Malaysia and other parts of the world, in response to comments made in the letters.

Tilapia has been in Malaysia since the WW2, having been brought into the country from Indonesia by the Japanese.

It has become very much a Malaysian fish. However, the fish used for commercial farming is selected for its fast growth and good size.

Tilapia of the genus Oreochromis in Malaysia is not as aggressive as other cichlids from the Central and South Americas, such as the flowerhorn and the peacock bass.

It has been identified as one of the species which can alleviate the fish protein supply for human consumption all over the world and has been endorsed by international agencies.

Because of its hardy nature and low cost of production, it is ideal for aquaculture. Today, the production of tilapia (cultured) is almost 2 million metric tons.

Malaysia is expected to produce 600,000 metric tons from aquaculture to meet the local fish protein needs by 2010 because of the expected shortfall from captured fisheries.

Tilapia will form a main part of about 230,000 metric tons expected from freshwater systems.

Its relatively short production cycle means it can reach market size of 500gm within six months from stocking, plus it breeds readily. It has excellent meat bone ratio and the meat is white, making it a healthy food to consume.

There are not many alternatives for farming in freshwaters today from locally available species.

Tilapia may not be endemic to Malaysia but it can be an important source of food (fish protein) which will be needed if we are expected to feed our increasing population without becoming overly dependent on imports.

NG CHEE KIAT,
    President,
    Malaysian Fisheries Society,
    Kuala Lumpur.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I wonder why is the Fisheries Society making the comment instead of the Environment Ministry...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    and since when is the "flowerhorn" a "cichlid from central and south america"?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    and since when is the "flowerhorn" a "cichlid from central and south america"?

Hee hee... cute how they can get away with almost anything over there.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by barmby
    Dont worry. NAture has it. Release 10,000 snakehead (toman) to balance things out.

Hmm... and yet with the toman already in the rivers how did the tilapia manage to outcompete them? It's not like you see toman swimming around our rivers anymore right?