Images
    Country
    Singapore

Question Melafix causes cancer?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Was reading my small bottle of Melafix when I saw "Peel back for more information"... so i peel back...

Saw this >>>
    Warning: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

So anyone knows if the above warning is true when we drink it? or just by smelling it?
    What is the chemical that causes it in the product? Anyone knows?

I like the smell leh.. scared will cause cancer or something...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    i guess with all fish med (or pet meds), it's best to handle with care ( maybe gloves) and not to sniff it .... definitely not drink it.

melafix is made from tea tree extract so i guess a little sniff while administering the med should be fine.
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm not sure whether it is just a "preventive caution note", just in case it got sued by the consumers if something happens, esp in US. If u look carefully, the Lapis Packaging also had this caution note.
    Steve Chua @ Reservoir

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haha, last Sat, i also read about it as i brought 1 small bottle A** Melafix

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Medications that are carcinogenic usually contain compounds like formalydehyde and malachite green. For formalin, inhaling it WILL damage your lungs! (causes headache, dizziness and chest pains) will also cause skin irritation and rashes if exposed to the skin constantly.

As for malachite green if comes into contact with the skin WILL cause cancer, reproductive harm and birth defects especially in unborn babies.

There are some antibiotics (most of which are controlled) which will also cause cancer if come into contact with the skin or if inhaled.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm.. didn't know that malachite green is carcinogenic also~!
    must be more careful with fish medication ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I remember way back then that someone posted that it is a big no-no for pregnant woman to handle this stuff. Something similar to that.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The problem with alot of manufacturers is that they don't indicate what's the ingredient in their medication though some brands do. That's why is very important NOT to smell or let the medication come into contact with your skin.

Most of the time medicines for the treatment of whitespots for example are the same except that the concentration of active ingredient in that bottle is different from brand to brand. So just do your maths and you'll know whether you're paying more for the brand or not.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    formalydehyde is the same stuff they use to embalm corpses, yeah? read about recent news regarding Indonesian fishmonger who laced them with it to keep their fish fresh.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OMG!!! the indonesian fishmongers actually did that??!! Wonder what has happened to peoples' conscience?? I guess when it comes to business everythings about the $$$. As long as businessmen makes $ it doesn't matter what happens to other people

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Re: Melafix causes cancer?

catchIve been using QuICK Cure in my tanks and its definately been on my skin over 20 times wether its was in the water or direct contact on my hands :/, that means i could definately have or catch cancer right ? Its even splashed in my eyes because of my fish being so big when i try to clean the tank he looses it but i love my jack dempsey.. Just wish i knew how serious this was before i became so comfertable with it, if it said handle with gloves on the bottle i wouldve done things much differently or not even risked my life to save a fish..what a cheap *** warning label