Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shy Apistos

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i put my apistos in my planted tank ... but on accord that there are tetras, rummy noses etc etc, they tend to shy off which causes not to eat that is making me real worried.

anybody faces the same problem?
    -Paw here-

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wat do u feed them with? next time, try dropping food at the hiding place

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, most fishes will tend to shy away initially after introducing to thier new home. But They will soon be joining the food frenzy when they get hungrier. If not, try feeding them more live frozen food. And also advice by Simon, try dropping the food near their hiding place.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks guys, that's wonderful advice ... have been dropping sera tabs into the water .. hope they can find them
    -Paw here-

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    paul me starting to feed my apisto and other fishes cichlid feeds... I think the fishes need to feel at home first...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They are not shy just scare and stress.You can't tell if they are shy a not just because they refuse to come out and eat. It is more appropiate to classfy them as stress and scared.

They are new to the enviorment therefore they don't really know what to do but frankly speaking if there are other older apisto tankmates around they will be out there eating too.

They may be scare of human activities and therefore resulting them to come out to feed. Way in which you can try, don't feed anything for three days and then feed them. Usually when feeding, hand feeding will make them come up to your hand to eat which aslo "tell" them that humans = food. THey will feeel comfortable once they know you as food.

Dropping food into their hiding area will take a longer time to so call 'communicate' with your fishes to ,Humans = food thinking. So try to know your fishes better by 'communicating' with them.

Once they are so ready to go up to the water surface to take food, then they will not be scare or stress out when they see new pplp.It takes time but it's worth it.[] Good feeding results in good norishment in the fish which is extreamly important issue to touch on. Give them a variaty of food so you can cover most of their requirement. Feeding is a very large topic to talk about when it comes to it, because feeding have many other factors leading to it.

paul if you need immediate help you can always call me and i will advise you more.

My 2cts worth.[] []
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    I keep my apistos with some diamond, cardinal and rummynose tetras. During feeding time, the apistos don't come up to the surface to feed because they know they just can't match the tetras for speed regardless of the type of food I drop in. So I have to place the food in some obscure corners where the apistos frequent. Once the food is in their territory, the tetras dare not go near their feeding ground.
    So maybe it could be that the tetras in your tank are too fast for your apsitos as well.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there r many factors y yr fishes dun come out, stress is defintely one.. but not the only reason.. but oso come feeding time, the apisto can compete with the tetras without much prob.. I like to spread or have diff 'drop-off' points in the tank.. regarding yr apisto going hungry, unless it is sick.. jus a matter of time, it emerges and start eating... if u got too many tetra in the same tank, i suggest u drop some sinking pellets in....

fishes do react to the owner and take them as a source of food.. so once yr fishes know u.. they will react when u walk up to the tank... but, if u have a few of them in the same tank.. there will be competition, the aggressor will always have the first bite