Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Silly Clown, Silly Goby

Silly Clown, Silly Goby

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Just added my first 2 fish to the system! Hope they don't deplete the loads of worms in the substrate that took me months to get! [:]

Anyway, the maroon clown I got seems to be ok, except the fact that it is swimming ONLY at the top of the water column. Does it mean I need an anemone of some sort to get it to swim within my rockwork? Seems a waste of a pretty fish if it doesn't want to explore the nice purple rocks!

Also, my silly yellow watchman goby decided to swim through the overflow into my sump, and got into a face-to-face combat with the large decorator crab I keep there. Got it out just in time, but the poor fish was a little injured, with some minor tears at the lips. Hope it recovers!!

OK, Spiff, it you're giving away your softies, keep me on your waiting list too! Still got more than half my tank available! hehe ... thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    How do you have so many worms? I'm trying to restock my tank with the worms in the substrate as well.

I suppose the worms multiplied since I left the tank fish-less for the last 5 months. However, I do have some purple crabs in there and a couple of brittle stars that I suppose might have eaten some ofthe worms as well. I have access to my father's friend's (!!) kelong as well, so when I do go there I scrape the stuff off the sides, bring them home, rest them on the sand for a week or so then dump them out - just to let whatever microfauna in there to settle into the sand. Also, I feed with frozen bloodworms, one cube a week, so the excess falls on the sand and provides some food at least.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    maroon clown are nice but territorial creatures.. my cousin's maroon clown is so fierce that it chase away all the creatures inside.. including my cousin's hand when he is cleaning the tank.. hahahaha... but dun worry abt it swimming at the top column of the water level.. it is probably trying to get used to the environment.. once it is acclimatised.. it will locate at a place and won't venture far from its home.. yes, an anemone will assist it but it is not necessary, however, it is nice to see the clown nesting inside the comfy anemone..

hong yee, what worms u talking abt?? anyway.. gobies do take a mouthful of gravel to siphon off any bits of food trapped inside.. be it worms or uneaten food.. so.. i really dun know what will happen to the worms eventually..

btw, your goby is now in your sump?? does that mean that your overflow is not covered? i used to have that problem in my old 3ft tank.. what i did was to get a cover, drilled small holes onto it and leave it on top of the overflow.. this will help me to prevent any fishes swimming straight into the sump below..thought that u might want to consider this...as for the injury, dun worry.. it will recover...
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Loads of pink small bristleworms and a couple of sphagetti worms. There's also a large bristleworm lurking amongst the rocks, but it doesn't seem to have harmed my corals in any way so far.

The internal overflow box has got slits to skim the surface water, but since it was DIYed I made some adjustments to make the flow compatible, so there's quite a large gap where I sawed off one of the slits. Suppose the poor guy went in from there, haha. Brought him back into the main tank, but he's disappeared for 2 days. Really hope he's found a hole to recuperate in, rather than being $3 food for my large brittle star! [:0]

Anyway, the maroon clown has started to get used to the tank, but the bad thing is ... he's been adventuring too much and squeezed through the egcrate grids and got stuck into one of my eggcrate shelves used to suport the internal overflow box. [] Later this afternoon I'll use pliers to snip a hole in the eggcrate shelf so he can get out.

Anyway, I'm wondering what to add next ... was thinking of maybe some Bangaii cardinals or a small school of green chromis. But these guys are somewhat boring leh ... any suggestions?

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Loads of pink small bristleworms and a couple of sphagetti worms. There's also a large bristleworm lurking amongst the rocks, but it doesn't seem to have harmed my corals in any way so far.
    bristleworms are great in preventing the substrate from compacting.. but when it grow too big.. it can harm corals and even to the extent of eating corals.. and they wun hesitate to eat up fishes that have embedded themselves in holes..

Really hope he's found a hole to recuperate in, rather than being $3 food for my large brittle star! [:0]
    it is either hidding to recuperate.. or make a trip to the maker already.. and brittle stars dun attack injured fishes unless they are dead.. coz they are scravengers.. it is more likely to be attacked by the bristleworms

I'll use pliers to snip a hole in the eggcrate shelf
    eggcrate?? made of wood?? is it able to support.. mind u.. wood will 'decompose' leh.. and become structural weak..

Anyway, I'm wondering what to add next ... was thinking of maybe some Bangaii cardinals or a small school of green chromis. But these guys are somewhat boring leh ... any suggestions?
    [b]are u looking at shoalling fishes or individual fishes?? predatory or herbivour??
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

eggcrate?? made of wood?? is it able to support.. mind u.. wood will 'decompose' leh.. and become structural weak

Nope, it's the so-called eggcrate material used for the first layer of plenum systems. It's just a plastic grid. Anyway, the smart little clownfish got itself out!

are u looking at shoalling fishes or individual fishes?? predatory or herbivour??

[b]dunno ... preferrably individuals.

----------------
    [/quote]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can consider tangs.. they are beautiful and intelligent creatures.. can be tame to feed off the hand too.. but just a note.. dun get powder blue, black or brown.. yes, they are extremely beautiful but from what i know.. almost zero survival rate in captivity..[]
    if not, can consider dwarf angels.. such as flame angel, bi-color, coral beauty, lemon peel, potter angel etc.. []

Very tempted to get a flame angel, but I hear some specimens might nip at corals. Anyone's experienced this before?

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hong yee.. flame is safe with corals.. with exception to some individuals.. []

Hi kel,

Thanks for the info! I've decided to get about 5 bangaii cardinals, one yellow watchman goby and one flame angel. Do you think this will overload my 4-footer? This is on top of the maroon clown I already have in my tank.

Also, does anyone know if LPS of the genus Euphillia (hammer coral, frogspawn coral and torch coral) will sting each other? Cos I'm thinking of getting a frogspawn or torch and locate it beside the hammer I already have.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

they wont sting each other.......n i think its still ok as the bio load of the fish isnt tt high
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i agree.. the bio-load is not alot.. your fishes are very small too...[]

Feedback Score
    DG:
    My flame nipped at my clam when I first put it in.....so bad that the clam shut itself up for about a week...thought it will die. Then after a while, it somehow abandoned the habit after he found food was nicer.

Okie, thanks! feeling quite happy now 'cos can keep the fish I like, hehe.

just wondering: how often do you guys feed your fish? I feed mine with a cube of bloodworms every 2-3 days - is this enough?

Thanx!