Images
    Country
    Singapore

Appalling!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Yesternite I was shopping for food for my hamster at this Petshop in the West. As usual I would look around the entire shop, especially at their livestock. The shop has about 4 tank with various hamsters in them.

I heard several hamsters kelping so I took a closer look. To my horror, in 2 of these cage, there are hamsters which were badly injured by fighting! One hamster has half its eye chewed out, the other has a patch of fur as big as 10c coin pulled out from its back, its abdomen is also gnawed at! As I kept a hamster myself, I am appalled at these sights.

I went up to the shopkeeper and told her that they should seperate the hamsters cause several are badly injured. The shopkeeper told me that they had already seperated them. She then went to inspect the hamsters and she talked to the hamsters," You ah? Why you fight again?"

It seems like she is just making a show of it and hamsters don't understand human language! I paid for my purchase and walked out of the shop. I'm quite upset because I know that if those hamsters are not seperated and given sufficient care, they will .

Upon thinking about it, I decided that I should go back to the shop again within the next few days and see if they did seperate the hamsters. Now I am wondering that if they didn't, is there any agency or society which I can inform who has the power to act against the petshop? Does anyone know which organisation I can inform?
    A noob & poor aquarist

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    in sg only SPCA right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    AVA is the body that licenses pet-shops (as per this site: http://www.ava.gov.sg/AVA/Templates/...uest#licensing)

The shop appears to be in breach of the conditions stated here: http://www.ava.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyres/0...allmammals.pdf

and if you find the shop is unresponsive to your concerns, you could consider bringing the matter to AVA's Centre fo Animal Welfare and Control.

In an ideal world, hobbyist/buyer pressure would be sufficient to get petshops to brush up their act. Unfortunately, the vast bulk of shoppers probably don't care enough such that those few who do must resort to calling in the authorities.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    EDUCATION. There'll come a day when a majority of the people KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. And I pray to whatever god is out there that, that day comes soon.

In it's absense... boycotts!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kradeij
    I paid for my purchase and walked out of the shop.
    If I were you I will not buy anything from them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    If I were you I will not buy anything from them.
    I ran out of hamster food and its the only place selling hamster food around my area. I don't want to buy but I dont want my hamster to starve.
    A noob & poor aquarist

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hamsters take cereal and vegetables too you know. They're desert animals. So dried nuts and the like are their natural food.

Heck, i used to feed mine uncooked rice and cheese

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    NTUC and cold storage do sell hamster food sometimes, together with the cat and dog foods. Check the shelves if you find yourself stuck with no food and don't want to resort to this shop again in the future (buy more from "nicer aka more humane" shops and stock in airtight containers with dessicant packets - tt's what i do).
    If i were you i would have immediately threatened to take a picture of the injured hamsters and sent it to the authorities right in front of the hypocritical and obviously conscience-deficient shopowner! *growls* *shakes fist in air for good measure*

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Haiz, i know I shouldn't have bought from the shop too. But then I'm now holed up in school studying for exams. The supermarket around there is a small one, so not likely to have hamster food.
    A noob & poor aquarist

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yea..go back and take a picture or something.doubt anyone would do much though..