Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: help...

Feedback Score

help...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    my 3 ft light transmit some current when i carry it with my hand.some of the current also transmitted into my tnk water.(jus found out today when i doing maintaineance)i nearly got shocked but the fishes r ok.i want to know how to reslove the leaking of current????????i am now using a 2 way pin plug.does changing it to a 3 way pin helps?tks for the advice......

p.p i now have to unplug the switch for my light and my fishes have no light.so sad.... [] [] []

rgds
    LH is the power to the dark side.LH leads to fear.Fear leads to anger.Anger leads to hate.Hate leads to suffering.....

Feedback Score
    your ballast might be faulty
    I Love Penang

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Disclaimer: I'm not knowledgable in electrical things so I can only share my experience. Please be careful.

I get mild leakage from my light reflectors. I can figure out why cos no matter how I check, I cannot find any contact between the eletrical parts and the reflectors. So I can only assume its induction. Never had leakage from the water before.

To prevent the small shocks I get from touching the reflectors, I ground them to the metal rails of my sliding doors.

There are other threads about this problem in the forum. Try searching for them.

I stress again this is my experience only.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sometimes it is just charges built up on the casing. I used to have one that is unearthed (2-pin plug) that has the problem. After I switched to a earthed one, no problem.

To be safe, always go for earthing. You can change to a 3-core wire with a 3-pin plug. Just connect the earth to the earthing on the ballast or the casing.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The shocks you're feeling is leakage prob due to low insulation. This is prolly due to moisture entering the lighting assembly, ballast or the wiring area.

You could ground the exposed metal parts. The best way to ground it like what bclee explained. Change to 3 core cable where the earth is connected to the metal casing. If you done this and u pluged the light in and the CB trips, then get a professional to look at it. This would mean that somewhere is shorted and it is high enuf to trip your safety device.

If you're unsure, you can give me call on my hp - 96230997
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    tks everyone for the advice.i will try out and let everyone know the outcomes asap loh.btw sherchoo r u the one organising outing to lck?heard frm chris that a guy is very generous to lonbang ppl to the farms from yck there with his van.......

rgds
    LH is the power to the dark side.LH leads to fear.Fear leads to anger.Anger leads to hate.Hate leads to suffering.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Which Chris are you tokking abt?

Yeah.. going to LCK, for the benefit to those got no transport I forced David to get his van to ferry ppl there.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ME![]
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore