Country
    Singapore

Seachem's Flourish Excel

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys!
    I saw this at Petmart today. Seachem's Florish Excel: Organic Carbon Source for the Natural Aquarium... bought it for $12. Jus to share with you. I have tried it, it's amazing. the moment i put in my second piece of mini riccia (taiwan) which i jus bought also, wow, i can see tiny bubbles within 5 mins after adding the Flourish Excel. Think it does help abit. I was told that it can promote better growth. so thought no harm trying it to make my plants grow and grow.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys, you can visit www.seachem.com for more details. think it's a great product.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    a few points i'd like to point out about this
    the polycycloglutacetal in excel when overdosed can possibly cause oxygen deprivation or algae blooms (nutrient overbalance, bacteria bloom?, i dunno)
    also, the explanation from greg morin does say it SHOULD NOT affect bubbling as the oxygen comes from co2 being split
    but fact is it does lah heh

and this is only practical for small tanks, and big tanks will be better off with compressed co2

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, it does state there "DO NOT OVERDOSE"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So it means that if i use this product, i can go without any DIY or compressed CO2 injection?

Currently my yank is oni 1.5feet with DIY CO2.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/19/2002 9:15:57 AM

So it means that if i use this product, i can go without any DIY or compressed CO2 injection?

Currently my yank is oni 1.5feet with DIY CO2.
    ----------------
    Yes you can for small tank. If for big tanks, it will be more economical using a CO2 cylinder.

I have used Excel. IME, it still cannot match the CO2. There is a interview with Dr. Greg Morin of Reasearch Director Seachem in the following webpage.
    Flourish Excel

BC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Justjoin, it would be better to have your DIY CO2 still, together with Florish Excel, your plants will be growing better. That's what i am doing now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hi raytan12,

u use DIY CO2 too? If yes, what type/brand of YEAST r u using cos my is unsuccessful.

1.5cup of sugar with 0.5 teaspoon "instant yeast(selling at $0.60 per small pack) & 0.5 teaspoon baking soda. Filled up water to abt 3/4 of 1.5L bottle

Shaked well but the CO2 don't seem to get pumped to my tank lay.no leakage too.check valve is correctly connected too.

What could be wrong?

I presume it's the yeast-any comment?

thks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How long did you wait? It is not instantaneous.

Assuming you used hot water to dissolve the sugar, make sure it is cooled before adding the yeast.

The sugar is complete dissolved?

I was told to add the yeast last and not to shake the bottle after adding the yeast.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hi

all OK BUT abit different version here,
    I shaked the bottle after adding in the YEAST & Baking soda.

Does it make a diff?

I will try yr method tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The shaking is ok to mix the solutoin up nicely. After that you should just let it be.

Vinz,
    The shaking that you were advise against should be when the solution slows down after some time, ppl would tend to shake the bottle. Correct me if I'm wrong.....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi justjoin,
    i'm using Dennerle CO30, those bottled type, just add in the capsule and water into the bottle, wait for 24 hours and you'll get Co2. besides that i'm using my own diy Co2 also. not afraid of overdosing cos i have filter and airpump...fish doesn't go up surface for air so it's ok. plants are doing quite well after my rescaping and added DIY CO2. The brand of yeast I used is Bruggeman. got it from shop selling bakery items. I recycle my used Dennerle bottles to do DIY (so think it won't explode), fix it with a tube and a CO2 atomiser (like an airstone, cheaper) . got to wait about 2 hours or more... depends.
    this is what i did... boil half cup water, add in one cup of sugar and mix til sugar dissolves. add in another cup of cooler water, add in 1 teaspoon of yeast and 1 tsp of baking soda. it lasts about 2 weeks plus.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ray,

Dun think if you forego the air pump, there will be an overdose of CO2.... unless your tank is really small
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]