Images
    Country
    Singapore

Birds by budak!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I post them here since it's the subject matter rather than the photo quality that counts....

Striped tit babbler (Macronous gularis). This is a fairly common but hard-to-see forager of secondary forests, whose presence can be detected by its characteristic rapid triplets of sharp "choonks". A far better photo can be seen here.

A drongo, probably the Lesser Racquet-tailed (Dicrurus remifer), with tattered wings and minus one of its racquets.

Yellow-vented Bulbul (Pycononotus goiavier). The most common of all the local bulbuls. Bubbling pairs can be frequently seen flitting from tree to tree in search of fruit and small prey. Some observations on its eating habits have been made recently here and here.

Olive-winged bulbul (Pycnonotus plumosus). A fairly non-descript, inconspicious bird that is also quieter than most of its relatives.

Straw-headed Bulbul (Pycnonotus zeylanicus). A bird that lives on the edge, in both senses of the word. This bulbul, the largest local species, thrives on the fringes that separate one habitat from another. The first sign of the bird was an unmistakable melody – rich, bold and liquid – that pricked my duck's ears to the presence of a creature that is extinct in many of its former haunts. It's a cruel twist of fate that Singapore is proving to be a sanctuary for this magnificent songbird thanks to our urban disinclination for trapping large singers and the abundance of suitable fringe habitats created by land fragmentation.
    Last edited by budak; 5th May 2006 at 23:20.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not bad, Budak! From a compact camera only?

Do you know local birds have been featured on quite a number of Singapore stamps? See http://www.birdtheme.org/country/singapor.html
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sadly, using my 350D and Sigma 70-300 mm. It was a very overcast evening, and the pictures heavily cropped as the birds were at least 10 m away from my duck.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    then must come with me lah !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mervin offering to increase the size of his duckhood.

and hey! you are supposed to be burong-kuku
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Excellent initial attempts for avian photography!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?