Images
    Country
    Singapore

Local field trip.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Looking at the field trip reports, I am full of envy and having the urge to do one local one. Anyone know whether we have any in Singapore where you can catch some fishes and collect some aquatic plants?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think that most environmentalists will be worried with your urge as it might disturb the balance of the ecosystem by collecting plants and animals.

just my 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    almost all locations in Singapore interesting enough are within the nature reserves. do not collect anything there.

your best bet are the canals out side the reserves, there are fishes of course, but the water courses are no longer natural (i.e. longkang lah).
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    do not encourage this..especially nature reserves

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As an experienced collector myself, i'll tell you a secret... FISH FARMS!! or rather, the drains outside the pasir ris farms, you've got everything from chocolate gouramis to tetras that somehow escape from the farm. And they're all in these tiny roadside drains so it's easy to catch!

Just don't do it infront of the auntie...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sigh ... Singapore really do not have any natural stream etc... all has been converted to lokang? Anyway, thanks all for the advices.

Will only look look see see in the nature reserve..

As for lokang outside fish farm, will try if am there..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not quite true. In fact, there are surprisingly rich and pristine streams and pools with lots of native fishes and plants. Most of these are in the central reserves around the reservoirs. For nature-lovers, it's a sad dilemma. Many people think there's little nature left in Singapore so they wonder why there is all the fuss about biodiversity and environmental issues, but at the same time, some people who (through friends, websites or other sources) come across these places have no qualms about harvesting indiscriminately for their own gain or profit. There are known cases where people have used large throw-in nets to deplete entire forest pools.

Below are some links on biodiversity in Singapore which could be useful:
    http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/pub/na...text/a082a.htm
    file:///C%7C/guide/text/rmbr.nus.edu.sg/Sivasothi2000.doc
    http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/links/locationlinks.html
    http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/freshfish/
    http://www.wildsingapore.per.sg/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by taygu
    Looking at the field trip reports, I am full of envy and having the urge to do one local one. Anyone know whether we have any in Singapore where you can catch some fishes and collect some aquatic plants?
    Here's an advice from personal experience. Rangers are damn sharp. You don't know where they are hiding. It would have been cheaper to buy instead.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Rangers work verly closely with the monkeys They can spring surprises on you anytime. It's perfectly fine if you guys want to take a nature walk to appreciate our reserves, but please refrain from snipping any flora or fauna. It cost you lesser to purchase from LFS than risk getting caught where fines can be hefty. V. Drive vicinity (those who know keep it to yourself) is a good place that I often brought my son to.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you are afraid of the rangers then dont do stuffs which are detrimental 2 the natural habitant. i.e.catching e fishes etc and assuming they are in abundant