Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: how to feed the apisto among the tetras?

Feedback Score

how to feed the apisto among the tetras?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi all,

thanks for the good outing at Gan and Teo. on the way back from Teo, i picked up 2 apisto agassi from Toh. both male. it's quite enjoyable watching them moving around the tank. i kept staring at them whenever i have time

now my problem is how to feed them. they are among 100+ of tetras in my 4x2x2 tank. someone suggested Wardley cichlid crumbles which is slow sinking (thanks). but they don't seem to be interested. they may not know that's food for them at all. so the rest of the fishes will get them. do i have to get bloodworm? what's beefheart? will that means that i have to feed BW to all fishes? i am sure they will also rush for it. i prefer to stick to dry food unless no choice. also worry that they start taking on my shrimps

thanks for any advices. this is my 1st time venturing outside tetra kind of fishes. do wish to be able to keep them as i kind of like them so far.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Wee, I'm the one who told you about the wadley food grandules. You have to train them to eat it if they got use to BW and such.

You don't have to really worry about keeping apisto they are nice and lovely fishes not bad and terror fishes. You'll learn to admire them as times goes by which you will find that they have a big charater in a small body mass.

They are fishes which give external parental care which mean they give extended care after the frys have emerge as larva or so call the wirggler stage. They will take care of them until they are big enuff to fend for themselves and to find food for themselves.

Feeding Apisto are never a problem.You have a 100+ tetra but that isn't an issue to touch on if you really know how they go for their food. When you're feeding, the tetra may be the first to reach the food but once the apisto are out and going for the food, the apisto will somehow make way for them.(woo scary )

Dry food does not have everything inside it so feeding a variety of food will therefore be good for yr apisto. It's like eating on chocolates,potato chips, dry stores.

SIDENOTE: From what i've seen is u got 2 aga males.You don't intend to breed them?

They do prefer live food as staple food, it's like giving them rice for eastern pplp and pasta for western pplp. Any other food will be considered as treats to them. A good feeding consist of having all the nutirents that are needed for growth,protection against disease,strength,etc.

Giving them good food will result in beautiful and strong fishes. So do treasure your fishes and treat them nicely since you've already bought them home in your care, their lives are in your hands do not destory their lives if you don't intend to really care for them.

Dry food are clearer in a sense that no bloody stains in yr hands. Actually there are a few ways to keep your fingers off the bw and still feed them to yr nice fishes. hygine is very impt in the house as most of us do. So you can actually keep you BW in airtight containers so that all the excessive "dirts" will not contaminate your freezer compartment.

Apisto are a world of their own very nice,sophisicated fishes i can say they are built with big charater in a small pack they are indeed the most fasinating fish in which i do agree some others might concer or support my views. Cichlids are wonderful fishes so give them a try and you might not think that you'll be hook on them.

[] []

If you have any other questions do feel free to post and we'll all try to work things out.[]
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ben, whats the staple food of your apistos?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BW.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if they got no choice, i guarantee they take everything u throw at them.. even my Tefe green r forced to accept wadley crumbles now but I feed them assorted food

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes give them a variaty to choose from and feed them different food to cover for all their essential needs. You aslo wun like to eat rice for breakfast lunch dinner supper rite? It's just the same giving them a staple food isn't good enuff.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In my case, the apistos seem to be the kings in their tank. The tetras and rasboras keep away from them. During feeding, the apistos are the first to *cheong* for the food - frozen BW or freeze-dried BW.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They are small in size but fierce.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    thanks for the advices. may be they are not used to the tank yet. during feeding time all other fishes are very excited and rushing for food, the two apisto don't seem to know what's going on they just continue to stay at the bottom.

btw do they spend most of the time at the bottom? they like to swim among the plant but not above.

i start with two male to learn about them first. not sure how much extra effort required when they get into breeding. i don't have real hiding place in the tank.

will continue to try the dry food. will also get some bw for variety. just learn that there are frozen and freeze-dried one. any recommendation? which brand?

thanks a lot...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Frozen will be Hikari BW, Freeze dried i'm not so sure. Apisto are bottom huggers they do liek to stay near the bottom, but once they feel at home and a king of the tank they go anywhere. Train them to be hand fed so they do come out often.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wee, get frozen bloodworm... not frozen dried ones that comes in a can.. apisto r mid/bottom level fishes... they will once notice yr feeding time and in the future, b4 that time.. u see them gathering at the place u drop the food... my tetra is a signal for the other cichlids that dinner is served[]

Feedback Score
    went to petmart by they are closed today. managed to get the Hikari BW from a lfs in bishan. one strip for $1.80. is the price reasonable?

but i am still not sure if i should start feeding BW as the apisto is not responding to feeding yet. will just benefit the rest of the fishes how long will the apisto need to feel at home in new tank? they were introduced on last Sat.

thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mine got used to it just after it came out from the pack. Reasons due to becos there are usually only apisto in them and they some sort socialize among them and the new apisto ain't shy at all. U should get a box of BW for i think 16 if it didn't increase price it's more worth it.
    Cheers!

Benetay