Country
    Singapore

Unofficial AQ chatroom

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    ** Title edited by Vinz **

Since joining AQ I've been pretty much into this forum (I normally don't participate in forums, period; or only for a couple of weeks and that's it) and since all of us have a keen interest in the plant/fish keeping industry, I was wondering, why not you guys have a chat room.

It'll keep bored people like me who're in the office 'busy'. It can be an IRC channel or some Java-based chat room (e.g. Entropychat) however the latter would consume quite a bit of resource from the AQ server.

If you guys are interested in setting up some channel in IRC, I should be able to provide you an IRC bot (stable enough - been running serveral tests of late (due to boredom ) - courtesy of IBM's network ) to do channel moderation or provide quick information on trigger words, etc. Of course bot access will be given to forum moderators or channel ops. It can be #aquaquotient.com or #aquaquotient or just #AQ. In the mean time, I have created a bot and parked it in those 3 channels in GalaxyNET.

Anyways, just my two cents worth yah. Also, please take note that this chat room is NOT to take the main focus AWAY from the forum at all.

Its my little way in giving back to the AQ community that has helped me so much.

PS: If you guys are not keen on this and want me to remove the bot, please let me know. I will do it asap as I do not wish to infringe any property/intellectual rights over AQ or its owners.
    Last edited by vinz; 20th May 2006 at 11:43.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Galaxynet? Ewwwww... never quite like it in the first place. I would opt for Austnet anytime, but is Austnet still around? *Retired* from IRC eons ago.

Anyway, some guys may not be able to access chats rooms at all from the office as some ports may be blocked.

But it could be fun if there is one, provided you don't chat your time away doing nothing in the office and end up getting the boot.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    or perhaps implement a shoutout corner in AQ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I myself retired from IRC about a good 12 years ago. Since I've got resources on my hands (testing, etc) and spare time, I thought, what the heck, might as well create a bot to test the network and popped by to Gnet, it's pretty dead now actually.

Not too sure about Austnet but vaguely remember it being around. Well, its up to you guys, I can de-commission the bot at anytime if I want, since its running on one of the other PCs on my desk, I'm leaving it on until someone from AQ says "no".

For those who are interested may pop by to the following.

server: irc.galaxynet.org
    ports: 6661 to 7000
    channel(s): #AQ, #AquaticQuotient or #AquaticQuotient.com

By the way, this is all unofficial now yah....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Personally, I feel forum is still the most suitable. We most certainly do not want any good discussions getting lost in chatrooms right? Just my view
    - eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    We did start one a few years ago, but it got abandoned due to lack of participation. IN fact, it was a ghost town. There was a chatroom program done by a former AQ Administrator, LiquidFX, but that was quiet too.

I'm guessing it's because most AQ members are working adults or tertiary and upper secondary level students. These groups tend to be busy in the day at work or in school. While we can sneak in the occassional browse or post in AQ during the day hours, chat is too risky or blocked by firewalls. Come, night those with family will be busy with that commitment. Students will be busy with homework. Or we'll be relaxing in front of the tank(s) or fiddling with them.

Personally, I'm concerned that good discussions may be lost in chatroom instead of being posted. The forum, in the long run, is a repository of member's experiences and knowledge.

I suppose there is no "official" no, yet.

Grey_fox, perhaps with the thread title change a few more people may pop in on the channel. Why not just make #aq for now? Will you be able to get any statistics from the channel?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vinz,

able to attached a link to the chat room?

I think I APC has something similar.

Just a suggestion for the trial
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree that since most of us are working adults it'll be difficult. Also I don't think the chat room would actually take away the content from AQ's forums to begin with. It would likely be a place just to chat and well... chat?

I'm only seen in the channel in the day however, the bot "Unicron" is there 24/7 as the channel enforcer and if anyone needs access (particularly mods, etc), please let me know.

As for channel/web stats, that can be done, however it should be linked from the bot to the website and vice-versa.

I've taken away #AquaticQuotient and the .com variant and only left #AQ. Anyways, the bot will be online, just let me know if access is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by vinz
    We did start one a few years ago, but it got abandoned due to lack of participation. IN fact, it was a ghost town. There was a chatroom program done by a former AQ Administrator, LiquidFX, but that was quiet too.

I'm guessing it's because most AQ members are working adults or tertiary and upper secondary level students. These groups tend to be busy in the day at work or in school. While we can sneak in the occassional browse or post in AQ during the day hours, chat is too risky or blocked by firewalls. Come, night those with family will be busy with that commitment. Students will be busy with homework. Or we'll be relaxing in front of the tank(s) or fiddling with them.

Personally, I'm concerned that good discussions may be lost in chatroom instead of being posted. The forum, in the long run, is a repository of member's experiences and knowledge.

I suppose there is no "official" no, yet.

Grey_fox, perhaps with the thread title change a few more people may pop in on the channel. Why not just make #aq for now? Will you be able to get any statistics from the channel?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A javabased (browser) IRC chatroom can definitely be placed on this website for those who are lazy to use a client I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wackytpt
    Vinz,

able to attached a link to the chat room?

I think I APC has something similar.

Just a suggestion for the trial

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by grey_fox

As for channel/web stats, that can be done, however it should be linked from the bot to the website and vice-versa.

I don't get what you mean.

What I was thinking about is just a simple log of how active the room is... e.g. number of logins and number of people on at certain times. Just to get an idea of whether we shold keep it up. No need for a live feed.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That shouldn't be a problem. The eggdrop keeps a log on the J/Q (Join / Quit) in the channel, so I can have that retreived.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How about make it a weekly event instead ?
    e.g. Every Saturday night a fixed time window, and pick a topic for discussion ?
    This way folks can schedule their time to meet and a topic of interest to focus.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    110% support!
    Got new place to come talk cock without breaking my own rule.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OK, good to see some response to this topic finally

As for weekends... hmm, I myself might not be able to make it, need to spend time with the messrs.

Also, I don't really wanna download a IRC client for my Mac. Will only destroy my work PC buttttt.... if you guys are really keen on this, I can make an exception and download the IRC client for my Mac.

Still I'll keep the bot online. Mods, who needs access to the bot??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Due to the lack of participation in the IRC channel, I've decided to decomission the bots and bring the channel down.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks grey_fox for the effort though.

IRC is a dying thing in Singapore imho.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No worries

Yup, it died on me a good 12-14 years back

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah, Grey_Fox, thanks for the effort. Think most of the guys here are too busy with family and work to really go on IRC.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Likewise actually, I go in weekly to gather the statistics from the bots and showed 2 (2 bots running in the background with 0 users from XXXXX to XXXXX) haha.