Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Substrate's nutrient...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can I ask if we ever need to replace the substrate due to depleting nutrients level? If yes how often do we need to do that?

I'm more or less clear how to go about starting a planted tank... now need to know more about work required to maintain the tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes but it'll depend on the types of plants you intend to keep cos some plants are nutrient hungry and the base fert will run out faster. You can use seachem flourite - don't need to replce as the sand already contain nutrients. Do check out seachem's website for more info.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It will be near impossible to replace the substrate if your flora and fauna are all established and if your tank is heavily planted. You can buy JBL's 7 ball fertiliser, maybe after 6 months or so depending on how good your base fert is and depend on your plants too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The decomposing matter (excess food, fish poop, dead plant matter) will go into the substrate as nutrients for the plants. If you need to supplement nutrients in the substrate, you can insert fertiliser sticks/tabs. Those sticks/tabs for terresterial plants can be used, but be careful to bury it deep and not to disturb it afterwards to prevent potential algae problems.

Seachem Flourite itself does not really contain fertilisers. It has capacity to hold on the nutrients and make it available to the plants.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    a LFS told me 2-3 yrs for most base-fert, anyone got experience? but then again it is kind of debatable if your tank is doing well why the heck tear it down. Dosing can be via other methods like fert-sticks or liquid. On the other hand if you are sick of the same old setup, then maybe it is time to rescape.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Base ferts are good for the plants to establish themselves in a new set-up or major rescape. As long as nutrients are constantly provided via dosing of liquid fertiliser, you should not need to worry too much about the depletion of the base fertiliser layer.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nowsaday I used the JBL 7 balls to rejuvanate for my old tank substrate. Although if your tank accumulated enough mulm in the substrate you may not really need it.
    Be careful on use of land plant tab or plant stick. Only apply them (in small amount) to those heavy and well established feeder (such as Lotus) and use sparingly, and bury them deep. Or you risk NH4 peak. I once add land plant tab to hair grass and they "burn" - turn to yellow and melt, susposely due to NH4 toxicity and I believe may be they did not able to grow fast enough to dilute it out their tissue.

Like to add one more new learning :
    Go water column dosing of inorganic is any time much safer and easier. And pound-for-pound much cheaper too as you can get the ingridients from sources such as hydroponics outfit.
    Last edited by dc88; 25th May 2006 at 08:10.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    One of the holy bible of low maintenance natural planted aquariums:

'Ecology Of Aquarium Plants' - by Diana Walstad

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    dc88:
    hihi...i ask u one thing.
    u mentioned lotus is a heavy feeder?
    then if too much fertiliser, will the leaves grow broader? or will the stem grow til very long. the person sold me said that lotus if your lighting is not strong enough, it will grow very long and thin
    but, is there such theory?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Keep to topic please thank you!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by guan
    dc88:
    hihi...i ask u one thing.
    u mentioned lotus is a heavy feeder?
    then if too much fertiliser, will the leaves grow broader? or will the stem grow til very long. the person sold me said that lotus if your lighting is not strong enough, it will grow very long and thin
    but, is there such theory?
    Sorry Squee, hee,hee,hee..got to answer this one : )
    but will try to stick to the topic of substrate fert.

Hi Guan,

Yes they will grow larger leaf if you any how add fert booster near its root (such as plant stick). Heres the proof :

The one on the right is without plant stick, the one on the right is with plant stick inserted near the root, in the same tank.

But it don't grow surface leaf with tin long stem when heavy fert alone. Still a mistery to me but I guess may be a combination of low CO2 or low light and substrate that is highly anaerobic. Plant stick (those for land gardening) usually pack of urea and organic substance which can quickly turn the substrate around it to anaerobic and toxic.

Back to the topic, I guess it all depend on what substrate you used, how many plants, how strong the light, how often water change, etc. Some products (commercial branded substrate) claimed to last a long long time. Others may last 1 - 2 years. I think one can revitalize it with clay balls. I only knew of Dupla and JBL had such products but I think other brand might also have.
    Or can follow the advise from the book Ecology of Aquarium Plant to bake your own clay ball and wrap in tissue paper to insert into the substrate.

But I think unless your tank is super large otherwise after 1 - 2 years might as well rescape it and renew everything.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    dc88, thanks thanks, good n helpful info from u! n sorry squee....hahaha