Singapore

Fish tank and Feng Shui

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Following this link from the "beginners" section in AQ
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=20845

Let see how many of you have any comments regarding Feng Shui and Fish tank in your bedroom.

I have been in Singapore for 4 years, staying in NUS on-campus accommodation...This means - 1 room space.

Well, the room is simultaneously a bedroom, living room, TV room, study room, party room, ...all kinds of room that exist except bad luck room...

Been keeping fish tanks, starting from 1 20L tanks to now having 4 fish tank (most was 5), holding altogether approximately 80+ Gallons of water...From goldfish to irriscedent sharks, rasboras, loaches, neons, turtles, shimps....all had and some are still here...

In fact, I can say it brings luck to me, and I've been very happy for the past 4 years (despite being in NUS),,Good luck for me means...got good academic results, got a gf, got food and money to live, good health and sportsman, and found peace of mind, and be able to sleep sound at night

When I was in my country, I had a 4 feet tank in my bedroom...and guess what, I did not have bad luck then again...In fact the opposite would be an understatement.

If you associate luck with money, then of course, you have less luck, since we are all pouring money in water for this hobby.

Members are welcome to post thier own experience of bad or good luck here.

Christophe

**Moderators feel free to move or consolidate that thread - I did not want to post under the same thread in AQ beginner section to avoid going in another direction.**
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Probably better in Members' Lonuge...

But just to comment on the tiopic... I find that my health was not very well since I had a tank in the room. But it was not really bad. But I do believe that sleeping with fish tanks in an air-conditioned room probably will do the body well... The water should humidify the room for better breathing and skin...

I feel that it is really bad to have the tank to directly facing you when you sleep. I will have sleeping problems and will wake up very tired... I think this is like the general feng shui believe that anything that refelects your image should not be placed directly opposite the bed as it will affect thye quality of sleep.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    reflects?? oh.. didn't know that.. why is this so? is it because chinese scared that if wake up feeling chest heavy then look in reflection see things sitting on you issit??
    Actually.. the master bed room in my place is filled with mirrors..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is a Feng Shui thing... Mirros are ok, as long as they don't reflect directly, the person sleeping on the bed.

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Have been in the hobby for 5 years. All sorts of tanks in my room, house and office - about 30 altogether.
    I have had my share of bad luck and good luck, with or without tanks/fish/plants, whatever. So I don't believe that tanks have anything to do with it.
    But whatever luck I am having, I know that relaxing in front of a good aquascape at the end of the day can calm my nerves and prepare me for the next ride.
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    It is a Feng Shui thing... Mirros are ok, as long as they don't reflect directly, the person sleeping on the bed.
    Justikanz... they are everywhere!!!! how to not reflect....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You mean like the kinky ones in certain hotels? Ooo...

Anyway, a Feng Shui master would have told you off... regarding them...

And to many of us too, with fish tanks in the room... Maybe I can get some material on that to post here...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to ask..
    There have been talks about goldfish or arowana and feng shui.... Then if placed in bedroom, does it not work?

Or does feng shui refers to a specific location/position of the tank and its inhabitants?

By the way, to add more to tanks and feng shui, I've heard that bloomberg sg has a big arowana tank in each room of its office...Can anyone confirm that? If that is likely to be true, I may well consider that company as my future workplace
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, in Feng Shui, a fish tank is to be placed where it will bring luck, not anywhere we would like to make the place look better.

And fish numbers should ideally be multiples of 3s... For goldfish, I think for every 2 red/gold ones, there should be a black one... Or something like that...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I read on many chinese fengshui website saying that aquarium is bad for health, wealth and marriage too.
    Don't know how to move out from my room now....
    There's no perfect aquarium but a satisfied one

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, water features used for fengshui purposes are seldom fish tanks. That's because a rounded water feature is prefered over an angular one. Also, our tanks are too god-damned big to move around on an annual basis, when our favored positions shifts.

There are more complicated fengshui considerations (if you believe our local geomancy celebrities). For example, there are preferred fish types according to 'periods'. Aros are suited for fengshui in period 7 due to it's shape. However, we are now in period 8 (or is it 9 already?) so time to shop for a new fengshui fish.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    reflects?? oh.. didn't know that.. why is this so? is it because chinese scared that if wake up feeling chest heavy then look in reflection see things sitting on you issit??
    Actually.. the master bed room in my place is filled with mirrors..
    kinky....
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    schemes!! all schemes to make moeny.. feng shui good ah?? of course good la.. for the feng shui master of course.. not you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, Fengshui is a personal thing. Either it work for someone or not, must try out to believe it. Since it has history for quite long, might have some truth in it. I do agree that some fengshui makes things difficult for us or need to spend more money ...

Just heard from a colleague that his "master" discouraged him from having any kind of water feature (from water fountain, aquarium and a man-make waterfall thing that he ordered but still cannot deliver to his house). I think it got to do with his room layout or bad direction position. My advice is to try a small water feature and if no harm, then leave it. Else can remove easily. If anyone noticed, my Avatar is the happiness cat from WOF (Lilian Too).

I do believe in it and had read up on it. It does have some practical considerations and due to its complexity (directions, ba zhi, flying star ...) it is not an easy thing to understand or follow, especially it prevent you from doing what you want. However, heard about the thing about aquarium in bedrooms but not sure why. Maybe due to some reasons bro have mentioned.
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I put my 1st 4ft tank at a good feng shui place (before invite master come). Ever since that .. my carrier getting better slowly.

After 1 yr I upgrade to 5ft (after invite master came) with more $$ spent on the tank...than more big freelance project coming...

I believe feng shui but done over trust it ...that's my only comment.

**1st, if you born to have a good life... else...
    **2nd, if you born with luck follow you all the time... else...
    **3rd Only feng shui can help you get thing done smoother in your life

If you have all 3 above ... you might be the Brunei's King already.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My view on Feng Shui

Haha...finally entered this member's lounge and the first thread that interest me is this feng shui thread.

I have my own run-in with feng shui middle of last year when I decided to refurnish my bedroom. I browsed through books and webpages of info on bedroom furnishing and came upon articles on Fengshui. The nature of this mystical chinese art intrigued me to a point that I decided to sign up for a online fengshui and bazhi reading at a cost of SGD$50 without a second thought. A PDF report by a certain "Fengshui Master" in China came through my email at the end of 3 weeks and the person who made the report supposedly travel all the way to China to listen and write down all the stuff that came out of the mouth of the "enlightened one"

I went through the pretty detailed report and it says that I need to purchase some Fengshui items to protect me from wind coming from "inauspicious directions". The list of items are stated very clearly, e.g "Yin-Yand Dragon Tortoise of Harmony (brass only) placed in the "Wu-Gui" North-East direction".
    Of course these items are only available from the Fengshui website and are at a premium. Thinking that it may changed my recent spate of bad luck, I bought close to SGD$300 of Chinese coins, brass and resin figurines . The items are in the picture:

When the items arrived, I was kind of miffed to see that items do not come from Hong Kong but suspiciously stated "Choa Chu Kang, Singapore". I dutifully placed everything in its supposed place and began walking around with a lighter step thinking everything would be okay and the world is finally noticing me.

One day as I was walking around in ChinaTown, I spotted a shop selling Fengshui items and I went in to check them out. To my shock, all the items I have bought are all there and what really pissed me off was that they are all cheaper by 1/3! AH! A beautiful con-job and nicely executed. Great dummy and gulliable victim played a major part in the success of this evil scheme. In case you are wondering if my luck took a turn for the better, nope it didn't do sh*it.

Looking back, I could only blamed myself for not checking out the authencity of the website. I still have the figurines around and though they do not bring any good fortune, they are great decorative pieces and a excellent reminder of my stupidity.

Now, there is a good thing that came out of that episode. And here he is...

May 2005

And now June 2006, saying "Hi everyone!"

As part of the ways of Fengshui, a turtle or tortoise is supposed to bring luck and prosperity to the family. I picked him up at LFS and thought him a common terrapin, though I was kind of puzzled that he cost $8 instead of the normal $3.50 for a red-eared slider. To my pleasant surprise, he was actually a Ocadia Sinensis or "Chinese Striped Neck" or more commonly known as Long-Tailed Turtle. One problem though, he is a illegal alien in the eyes of AVA. So I am not telling anyone where I stay to protect him My mum and I love this little bugger and I think of him more like a "underwater dog". I decided he is going to stay with me the rest of his long life and will give him the best home I can afford. Now looking at getting a five feet tank for him in the next 2 years

FengShui weaves in and out of our lives since the basic concept is to make our environments more conducive to us. Having my "fengshui turtle" certainly made my life more tolerable and pleasurable.

Pardon the long post and massive pictures...I only have a few pictures of my turtle when he is young and they are all big and I have no idea how to resize them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi zyblack, welcome to join in the discussion.

Sad to here that you have such a bad encounter. Please do not be disheartened. Sometimes nothing happens because those items "helped" to prevent misfortunes and not bring good fortune if your time is not ripe yet. Anyway, don't you feel better after buying the items? Just that you need to be careful next time. At least now your "fengshui turtle" is bringing you come good fortune.

As for the fengshui items that you have, they can be also found at Upper Cross Street (if I remember the street correctly). They sell mostly these stuff and should be even cheaper than Chinatown (here can buy in bulk or individual sales). Chinatown more for tourist. Just need to do some homework before you buy any fengshui stuff.
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I remember many years back my friends talking about how the government also believe in feng shui. It is said that when the government wanted to build the MRT they were told that it'll be bad for s'pore as they'll have to dig many tunnels and to "balance" it off, s'pore will need to have a hexagonal bah guah or whatever it's called in every place on the island to protect the island. So the government came up with the hexaganal print on all our dollar notes.

Also the idea to make s'pore a garden city is not only for reasons of esthestic or to bring down the temperature of the island but because the island is shaped like a crab. With deforestation to build buildings the crab shape island will look dead or lifeless from airail view. By greening up the island it'll create the look of a live crab.

My friend's wife whose office is just opposite the durian shaped esplanade says that her company (a very big US financial company) spends thousands of dollars to engage a feng shui master to have the whole office looked at when the esplanade was completed. It was advised that they should put fresh flowers everyday in the offices (if i'm not wrong) that is facing the esplanade. Coincidence or not nobody is going to spend thousands especially from a western company if it's all bulls--t.

Though i don't know much about feng shui, i believe there is truth to it. Whether having a tank in the room brings good or bad luck, i believe it's a combination of alot of factors. Feng Shui is about balancing, enhancing or harmonicing whatever environmental or earthly energies for the benefit of it's inhabitants. My 2 cents...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaObsession
    In fact, I can say it brings luck to me, and I've been very happy for the past 4 years (despite being in NUS),,Good luck for me means...got good academic results, got a gf, got food and money to live, good health and sportsman, and found peace of mind, and be able to sleep sound at night

When I was in my country, I had a 4 feet tank in my bedroom...and guess what, I did not have bad luck then again...In fact the opposite would be an understatement.
    Hi that is exactly how i feel too!

seems strange, but somehow i got a feeling that i need aquariums [you know, water movements, air movements] in my house to bring me luck. May be it is because my star is Aquarius

When i shifted to my new residence recently without moving my tanks over at the same time [quite a hassle to move those tanks], a lots of troubles happened both at work and at home, things were not smooth-going. So i quickly shift one of the smaller tanks [a nano cube] and set it running in my living hall balcony. And straightaway, things start to change for the better.

I feel that i need AQUARIUMS in my home, may be my star is Aquarius and i need WATER! which bring lucks
    Last edited by benny; 7th Jul 2006 at 14:44.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    here's some food for thought.
    the best feng shui is actually geographical features (i.e. streams, rivers, hills, mountains etc.)
    it provides the most "power" (for lack of a better description).
    and these do not change with time.
    what we do in the house only mitigates a fraction of the geographical features.
    gets you thinking about why most "masters" look at your only at your home or ask you to buy such and such, huh?
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast