Thread: N. espei availability

Feedback Score

N. espei availability

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Does anyone know if the barred pencilfish, Nannostomus espei, is available in Singapore, and if so where? And around how much for this fish?

Appreciate any help...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    some of us, is oso trying to find it.. apparently, not available locally yet

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 6/29/2002 11:56:48 AM

some of us, is oso trying to find it.. apparently, not available locally yet
    ----------------
    Sigh... Thanks. How about other types of pencil fish? Are there any types commonly available? Where's the best place to look for them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think Gan still got the dwarf. Tiong Bahru Ben got one-line and sometimes rocket. I'm still looking around for the real 3-lined.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    Try looking in rainbow sometimes can find
    To The World You May Be 1 Person
    But To 1 Person You May Be The World!
    Pacific_Flame

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 7/7/2002 8:34:34 PM

Hi,
    ----------------
    Thank you. I'll be there this weekend so hope I get lucky!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/8/2002 10:01:45 AM

----------------
    On 7/7/2002 8:34:34 PM

Hi,
    ----------------
    Thank you. I'll be there this weekend so hope I get lucky!

----------------
    Heh, are you saying that the 3-lined can be found in rainbow, or the espei? If N. espei I also go and cheong
    []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Lawrence, N. espeis' are very hard to come by. There is very little literature on them being captive bred successfully so, most times when they're available, they're usually wild caught ones and they're very expensive specimens.
    ''Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds.'' Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 7/9/2002 9:12:36 AM

Hi Lawrence, N. espeis' are very hard to come by. There is very little literature on them being captive bred successfully so, most times when they're available, they're usually wild caught ones and they're very expensive specimens.

----------------
    Hi, thanks for your replies. Yes, they're not very common are they? I saw some once in Singapore (not for sale) and was immediately captivated. This fish is perfect for a small/planted aquarium. I have read one article in which it mentions that N. espei "is one of the easiest pencil fish to spawn":

http://www.characin.com/carey/articl...spei_text.html

However, never having tried myself I wouldn't like to comment on this.

For some reason, in Bangkok (where I'm located), pencil fish aren't popular and I can't find any species here at all (the most popular fish available here all grow to around a metre). Never mind, the commoner varieties of pencil fish are still attractive. I'll see if I can get some of them...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lawrence, you from Singapore?
    ''Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds.'' Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 7/9/2002 12:21:34 PM

Lawrence, you from Singapore?
    ----------------
    No, I'm from UK. But working in Bangkok, Thailand, not a million miles from you. Occasionally I visit Singapore to check out your plants and fish. Very impressive aquatic scene you have. And the best mailing forum []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey! What a coincidence lawrence. Welcome to AQ.com. Check your Private Message.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hwchoy, i saw some 3-lines for sale at a lfs at bukit timah (read for the address below). they're the true 3-lines. nannostomus trilineatus. no espei but he has marginatus aka the dwarf pencil for sale too.

species commonly seen in Singapore:
    1) Nannostomus beckfordi
    2) Nannostomus marginatus
    3) Nannostomus eques
    4) Nannostomus trilineatus
    5) Nannostomus sp. "Coral Red" - very EXpensive.

oh yes, i saw some espei once but they're rare lil buggers in SG. can't find them.

btw, hwchoy, the shop is located at beauty world plaza, it's just beside beauty world shopping centre. the shop's called choong sua aquarium.

hope it helps.

regards, [] []
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/10/2002 11:04:28 PM

hwchoy, i saw some 3-lines for sale at a lfs at bukit timah (read for the address below). they're the true 3-lines. nannostomus trilineatus. no espei but he has marginatus aka the dwarf pencil for sale too.

1) Nannostomus beckfordi
    3) Nannostomus eques

oh yes, i saw some espei once but they're rare lil buggers in SG. can't find them.

btw, hwchoy, the shop is located at beauty world plaza, it's just beside beauty world shopping centre. the shop's called choong sua aquarium.

hope it helps.

regards, [] []
    ----------------
    mmm... must go and check it out. I would like to add the N. trilineatus to complement the N. marginatus I now have, perhaps also some one-line. But probably not the rocket since it would be too "out of order".

Is the coral red "common"? I've never seen any yet, at whatever price !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    stormhawk, the lfs is inside the beauty world plaza itself?

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 7/10/2002 11:36:02 PM

----------------
    On 7/10/2002 11:04:28 PM

1) Nannostomus beckfordi
    3) Nannostomus eques

hope it helps.

regards, [] []
    ----------------
    mmm... must go and check it out. I would like to add the N. trilineatus to complement the N. marginatus I now have, perhaps also some one-line. But probably not the rocket since it would be too "out of order".

Is the coral red "common"? I've never seen any yet, at whatever price !
    ----------------
    Hey thanks for this info. Great news. I was planning to visit Bukit Timah (the park) so I can call at this LFS too while I'm at it. So they have the new spec red pencils too? I saw those in Singapore a while back too. Hmmm. They really are outstandingly colorful but maybe too costly??? Anyone know if they're easy to breed? Might be worth an attempt. Hmmmm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    not really a new species. it could just be a regional colour variant of one of the pencils but it's still a pretty fish. the uncle was offering me one for SGD $20. apparently they're imported in from Taiwan in very small quantities. that explains the astronomical prices. expensive indeed. it is still a beautiful little fish

regards, []
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 7/12/2002 12:13:09 AM

not really a new species. it could just be a regional colour variant of one of the pencils but it's still a pretty fish. the uncle was offering me one for SGD $20. apparently they're imported in from Taiwan in very small quantities. that explains the astronomical prices. expensive indeed. it is still a beautiful little fish

regards, []
    ----------------
    there was an article in a western aquarium mag that the coral red is a newly discovered species (bringing the total to 17 or 19). Indeed Gan was promised some in his Amazon shipments ealier this year but which never materialise.

I also recall a web article about this.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    here's a web article about the coral red. note it also notes the resemblance of the red pencilfish to the N. marginatus (particularly in photo).

red pencilfish article

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hwchoy, this is worth $20?!!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast