Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Advice needed on the below stated dosing method?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Advice needed on the below stated dosing methods n which combination of lighting?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Any expert can share wtih me whether this type of calcuation is correct, effectives and which lighting combination is effective??If any changes needed, kindly higlight in red colour wording below that sentences...

Calculation of the dosage of dry chemicals n schedule to dose

Mondays: KNO3 + KH2PO4
    Tuesdays: LUSHgro-MIRCOS
    Wednesdays: KNO3 + KH2PO4
    Thursdays: LUSHgro-MIRCOS
    Fridays: KNO3 + KH2PO4
    Saturdays: LUSHgro-MIRCOS
    Sundays: KNO3 + KH2PO4

Composition of each dosage at any one time.
    Mondays : KNO3 – (Each 4ml) ~ 1.92 PPM + KH2PO4 - (4ml) ~ 0.36 PPM
    Tuesdays : 20 drops ~ 200 litres of water
    Wednesdays : KNO3 – (Each 2ml) ~ 0.96 PPM + KH2PO4 - (2ml) ~ 0.18 PPM
    Thursdays : 20 drops ~ 200 litres of water
    Fridays : KNO3 – (Each 2ml) ~ 0.96 PPM + KH2PO4 - (2ml) ~ 0.18 PPM
    Saturdays : 19 drops ~ 190 litres of water
    Sundays : KNO3 – (Each 2ml) ~ 0.96 PPM + KH2PO4 - (2ml) ~ 0.18 PPM

Composition of dosage per week
    KNO3 – 10ml ~ 4.8PPM, Target requirement from Chuck’s planted aquarium calculator ~ 5PPM
    KH2PO4 10 ml ~ 0.9PPM,Target requirement from Chuck’s planted aquarium calculator ~ 1PPM
    Traces – Fe, Mn, Zn Cu, B, Mo ~ 59 drops – 590 litres. Instruction as per LUSHgro-MIRCOS traces of one drop per 10 litres)
    Should I use Tropical master grow or LUSHgro-AQUA rather than LUSHgro-MIRCOS ?

Calculation of the amount of dry chemical mix with 250ml of water
    KNO3 – 116 grams with 250 ml ~ each ml ~ 0.48 PPM
    KH2PO4 – 20 grams with 250ml ~ each ml ~ 0.09 PPM

Lighting requirements (Still consider which combination is effective to use yet)
    1 – 6 nos of T5 80watts
    2 – 3 nos of 150 watts of MH
    2 – 3 nos of 70 watts of MH with 2 nos of T5 80 watts

* Tank Specs *
    Tank size : 6(L) x 2(B) x 2.5(H) Feet
    Tank vol : 158 Gallon (US) or 656 litres
    Actual water vol ~80% of the water being fill with 5 inch gravel ~ 590 litres
    CO2: Maintained at 24 PPM daily
    Ph ~6.7
    Kh ~ 4

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You haven't planned in the water changes But yours is a 6 feet. This makes water changes a bit of a chore?

I'd go(for water changes in this case):

Mon KNO3&KH2PO4
    Tue Traces
    Wed KNO3&KH2PO4
    Thu Trace
    Fri KNO3&KH2PO4
    Sat Water Change, Seachem Equilibrium 1/2 dosage, KNO3&KH2PO4.
    Sun Traces

You can seriously go much higher than 5ppm of KNO3 and 0.1 ppm of KH2PO4. But that's depending on personal preference

I think Lushgro Aqua will be more economical in the long run. Tropica MasterGrow (Now it's called Plant-Nutrition if I'm not wrong) works too, but it's more expensive I believe.

Move the CO2 up to 35ppm.

That's all I can give my thoughts on.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Squeel,

Ic, wat is your meaning of trace? represent those lushgro micros, lushgro aqua,tropical master grow??

i got this three on hands, master grow going to finish liao.. funny matter is that the lushgro got some white particles within the bottle, it is consider spoilt already? l will withdraw using the lushgro micros...

How much of water to change? 50% or can change slightly like 20% every week? ya loh, a bit chore but i got a strong hand pump to suck out the water all the way to the toilet...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Coolbucks

Trace elements equals Lushgro Micros. Don't worry about the white particles; however do try to keep the material out of the sun/heat.

For the water changes go for 50% and you might be able to reduce to fortnightly changes, but if you have sensitive critters they may object/die if your water parameter swing to much.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Rupert,

okok...thanks...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by coolbucks
    Calculation of the amount of dry chemical mix with 250ml of water
    KNO3 – 116 grams with 250 ml ~ each ml ~ 0.48 PPM
    KH2PO4 – 20 grams with 250ml ~ each ml ~ 0.09 PPM
    Hi coolbucks

I was discussing with grey_fox in another thread on pre-mixing of dry fertilizers. I think you will have difficulty to dissolve that much of KNO3 (116 grams) into the 250ml premix. I found maximum may be not more than 10 grams per 100ml the most. 116 grams definitely no way.
    I think for you folks with larger tank liked 4 - 6 ft, dry dosage may still be the way to go. Or alternatively you can find a larger bottle (may be a 500ml or even a 1.5 liter drink bottle) and prepare to pour in more (may be using a small dosing cup liked those came with the Yamichu tonic wine).

BTW the difference between LGA and LGM is that LGA contain N, K, S and Mg but LGM without (just the micro nutrients, or also known as "trace" ). Do a search on this forum for "DMDD" and you can find the spreadsheet for calculating the LGM and LGA dosage.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi DC88,

Icic, so guess that dosing directly is the better solution... guess i might purchase those cooking items that indicate by how many gram per scope...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can look for it in NTUC super market.
    Those scoop usually indicate 1 TBSP, 1/2 TBSP, 1 tsp, 1/2 tsp & 1/4 tsp. It does not indicate gram per scoop but you can work that out easily. (TBSP - Table Spoon, tsp - Teaspoon. 1 TBSP = 3 tsp)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yah... trying to mix more than 100g of KNO3 in a 250ml bottle, you won't be able to do that at all.

"been there done that".

The only solution I got about mixing is the KH2PO4 and also, not the suggested 37.5g in.

Currently the others are being dosed directly into the tank. Besides, Estimative Index is still an estimate. Since my dosage is quite high, having the 50% water change weekly is a definite must for me for sure.

I learnt more after getting tips from |squee|, ranmasatome, standoyo & PeterGwee and have the E.I's dosage modified to fit my tank's requirements. Currently I'm using APC's fertilator and only Chuck's calculator for the PO4 mix.

So far, so good.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would like to add that when mixing the stock solution, use distilled water which can be purchased from provision shops cos the tap water contains alot of other chemicals and the mixture may lose it's potency faster.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Dc88,

okok.. wll take note of your information's..

Hi Greyfox...

icic...must be in tip top condition liao for your tank...

Hi Aquarius,
    icic..Using distilled water easily dissolve those stock solution... it is costly for the distilled water??? Are u using it ???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius
    I would like to add that when mixing the stock solution, use distilled water which can be purchased from provision shops cos the tap water contains alot of other chemicals and the mixture may lose it's potency faster.
    Is it true ?
    I thought KNO3 and KH2PO4 pretty stable so even pre-mix in tap water should be no problem ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi coolbucks,

Best way to maintain your tank is to not loose interest in it No skipping of dosage and definitely no skipping of water changes as well.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bro..

Definately and agreeded.. interest is the most important factors.. will maintain constantly... care and effort is needed...

cheers...
    Last edited by |squee|; 12th Jun 2006 at 01:44.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi coolbucks,
    i'm currently using distilled water which i bought for less than a dollar. The KNO3 and KH2PO4 dissolves just as easily with tap and distilled water - no difference.

Hi dc88,
    The reason why i used distilled water is because usually when you mix powdered medicine in tap water the potency of the medicine will not last as long due to the other compounds in it. That's why i thought it may hold true as well for ferts and also it's hard to imagine seachem or tropica using non-distilled water to mix their ferts right? Anyway the distilled water is cheap so why not.