Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Any slightly dark spots in tank with lightings?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Any slightly dark spots in tank with lightings?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, was kinda wondering if the planted tanks you guys owned have any dark areas which the lights cannot reach well? As the ballast of my lights is at one end of the whole lighting it seems like the end of the ballast area of the tank will not get enough light. One more thing, from the pics that i saw from those experts here, it seems that the plants are planted so near together (I know it look best this way) but wouldn't the lower areas of the plant die off due to insufficient light??? Pleasr clarify some of my doubts.. thanks!! Vinz nice aro you have there! []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys, was kinda wondering if the planted tanks you guys owned have any dark areas which the lights cannot reach well? As the ballast of my lights is at one end of the whole lighting it seems like the end of the ballast area of the tank will not get enough light. One more thing, from the pics that i saw from those experts here, it seems that the plants are planted so near together (I know it look best this way) but wouldn't the lower areas of the plant die off due to insufficient light??? Pleasr clarify some of my doubts.. thanks!! Vinz nice aro you have there! []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Peter.

For most plants, the leaves in the shade will die off.

Most, if not all tanks, will have dark corners. So either plant tall plants which will grow closer to the light or plants that are not too light demanding. Red plants are best planted in the brighter areas. One trick is to not cover the sides of the tanks and let the plants in those areas be able to get ambient light from the surrounding.

Good plants for shaded corners are those that can take low light, but turn reddish under bright light. You will end up with plants that have green (and live) leaves at the bottom, and reddish leaves near the top. H. polysperma 'Rosenervig' is one such plant.

Recently read that K (potassium) actually makes photosynthesis more efficient and thus high levels of K might help shaded leaves continue to photosynthesis and not be 'discarded'. Going to try this out on my tanks soon.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thes dark spots are the best place to put Anubias and crypts which prefer less light, and are prone to algae coverings under bright light.

It can be less frustrating to work around so-called'constraints' than try to bulldoze one's way in order to achieve a pre-formed ideal.