Images
    Country
    China

Some creatures near my house

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    There's a piece of agricultural land(mainly cultivating flowers) behind the famous fish market at the Huadiwan in Guangzhou. I never went in before untill a couple weeks ago. It's been raining everyday, so I grab my camera to see if there's anything. Hoping to find the snakes(I rescued them from the dealer) I released sometime ago.

Even before I reach the market, I found Bufo melanostictus downstairs.

Some toads were mating during this period.

And this fella is brave enough trying to eat this giantic earthworm.

I walked across the road and reach the dark land...first frog I spotted was Rana limnocharis, lovely size, I brought it home.

And the loud sound comes from Polypedates megacephalus, this tree frog can be quite quite big, the largest specimen I caught was around 10 cm SL.

And hear different sounds from different species, and the short but high pitch sound comes from Microhyla pulchra, I remember I caught Microhyla ornata during my first visit, but couldn't find them later, maybe misidentified it. They are so small and very good jumper, a little hard to find.

Kept walking and I found Kaloula pulchra on the tree, about 2 meters above ground. This can be found in Singapore too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    Then also found Gekko subpalmatus on the tree.

The introduced Achatina fulica from Africa, can also be found in Singapore if I remember correctly. I tried this snail when I was in a small town in Guandong, no so tasty..havn't seen any restaurant in GZ offering these.

This slug is aboundant..feels quite disgusting if you step on it....

And being a fishy person, of course I would look into the canals..there are a couple big ponds and quite a lot waterways..

Don't what crab..maybe go back catch some to preserve..

I was so so surprised to find some juvenile Channa asiatica hunting mosquito fish..maybe introduced, maybe not....but at least they are doing well here.

Most common fish here is red platy, escaped from the fish tanks or whatever nearby, established themselves well here too. Weather loach is found here and at the end of the day(night to be precise), I found a juv Macropodus opercularis..and this fish is probably original.

End of 4 and half hour survey from 10:30 pm....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Wah!!!!!Interesting!!! First time see the wild Channa asiatica in the drain.
    Wanna see Borneo? Just click...http://junglemikey.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTree
    I walked across the road and reach the dark land...first frog I spotted was Rana limnocharis, lovely size, I brought it home.

Hey! My One-eye looks like this!
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    Quote Originally Posted by kuching
    Wah!!!!!Interesting!!! First time see the wild Channa asiatica in the drain.
    My first time seeing them in the wild(somehow it is) in Guangdong too. I do see wild C.asiatica sold in different wet markets in small towns I visited.

Justikanz, that common paddy field frog only cost SGD 0.10 per pc in the market, but I still catch frogs for my frog-eating-reptile myself...simply for the fun.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTree
    The introduced Achatina fulica from Africa, can also be found in Singapore if I remember correctly. I tried this snail when I was in a small town in Guandong, no so tasty..havn't seen any restaurant in GZ offering these.

Do u guys know this snail is introduced by Japanese army during War World 2 to Asia from Africa??? Now this snail became a "pest" everywhere....even in Borneo still got this alian species!!!!
    Wanna see Borneo? Just click...http://junglemikey.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    It's been brought to many places around the world, as source of protein and whatever reasons behind.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    mm.... cute creatures.. thanks for sharing..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hey,is this Mac Donald?? Man it better be!! Because I'm Loving it =)

Fascinating creatures =) It's my 1st time seeing a Slug =) Thanks for sharing, your pictures are nice.
    Life Is Blessed By Those Who Are Blessed

Living a fake life is by following other people's life,get a life n follow yours and u will have pride